Taurus Firearm Forum banner

300 rouds of 44 MAG

379 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Fishinkeylargo 
#1 · (Edited)
My Ruger Blackhawk has finally become too much for me to hold up and shot one-handed. It is the 10" guy. So it is soon going to the LGS on consignment. I also found out that standing up with crutches under both arms was not a good way to deal with recoil. Maybe next time, I'll just sit on the bench or something.

But the really terrible thing is that there is just no market for the 300 or so rounds of reloads I have for this thing. But people will trade empty brass - go figure. Oh, yeah,full-house, 240 grain SWC's and JHP's over 24 grains of 296 - if you're going to do it, do it right!

So one of the last of my good friends had today off, it was near 70 degrees by two PM at the range, we took this cannon along with a gas grill and a half-dozen hamburgers and a six-pack of Dr.Pepper like we always do, took the Taurus 357 (just for informal breaks, you know) and a couple of 22's and his new Sccy 9mm, and by the time the sun was getting near the mountain and the shadows were lengthening, we still had more than half of the ammo left. Dang it, it looks like we'll have to do this again next week, too.

I think it gave us both enough punishment, even though it (and we) shot well, it was like "Here. YOU shoot a dozen now. We've still got a few more boxes left."

Other people came, they watched, but politely declined any offer (I even begged one young shooter) to help us deplete the loaded rounds.

Ken has next Wednesday off - I wonder if he really is going to pray for rain.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nearly 40 years ago I owned and swore by and at a Ruger SBH in 44 Magnum. I came to regard it as the same uncomfortable companion as you. What turned my final decision maker on was a comparison of the SBH with or maybe against, a very early production Taurus Raging Bull in 454. Side by side using full power hand loads the Raging Bull was easier to handle, shoot well and shoot more. The SBH went to market and the new owner took a cow elk with one shot the next weekend. We were both very happy he owned it!!!!!!

Reactions: TheOldRedneck
#4 ·
I still enjoy shooting the big bore stuff when I get time. Wish I could come help unload those 44's for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.