Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered New LAX Blackout 250 rounds 147 grain for $103 shipped and a free ammo can. I’ve used their stuff in the past and it’s been good. Just a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’ve shot all 250 rounds of this ammo with zero malfunctions between yesterday and today. It’s cleaner, brass and bullet, than Remington UMC ammo. Very happy with it and will purchase more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
:icon_ rocker::shooter:

·
Premium Member
11,265 Posts
Rock on Garth.

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
The real question is did you save the brass?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I am intrigued by 300 BLK but I just can't find a compelling reason to convert my AR to this caliber. I don't hunt animals. At my age [67] I am not going to be the designated sniper. Supersonic or subsonic?

My rifle is setup with a white light and a Vortex red dot. Someone told me that is a "neighborhood watch" gun. 223/5.56 runs in my gun and is readily available.

Why should I consider 300 BLK?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am intrigued by 300 BLK but I just can't find a compelling reason to convert my AR to this caliber. I don't hunt animals. At my age [67] I am not going to be the designated sniper. Supersonic or subsonic?

My rifle is setup with a white light and a Vortex red dot. Someone told me that is a "neighborhood watch" gun. 223/5.56 runs in my gun and is readily available.

Do not consider it. It is kind of like Lays potato chips. Can't stop at one. I am 2 years younger than you and here is where it got me... Gun Airsoft gun Machine gun Soldier Air gun

·
Registered
985 Posts
One really big reason to do a 300 upper is if you want a short barrel(ie pistol). 300 is made for short barrels and so doesn't need the barrel length for complete burning and velocity a .556 needs. just shoot a 9" .223 and then a 9".300. you will believe. considering how cheap a complete upper is when PSA puts one on sale, it's not a bank account breaker to have one

Attachments

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
If you reload - 300 BLK is a great gun to have to recycle out of spec (short) .223/5.56 brass.
You can make your own custom 30 cal rounds similar to AK 7.62 and hunting legal.
You can shoot super sonic or sub sonic - reloading gives you great versatility in a middle powered cartridge.

Even if if you do not reload, ammo choices have become more affordable and diverse. Hot 30 cal will penetrate cover that .223 or 5.56 will not.

I could go on but...

take a good look. Initially it may appear as just another mid range round but the versatility is it’s strength from 220gr sub Sonics to decent super sonic hunting rounds to room clearing pistol rounds — I find it a very interestng, versatile round— especially for the reloaded willing to form the rounds from .223 or 5.56 out of spec brass.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just ordered New LAX Blackout 250 rounds 147 grain for $103 shipped and a free ammo can.
I built an 8.5” 300 Blackout pistol in November, my first AR. I’d been looking at 6.5 Grendel when I came across some information that lead me to the 300 Blackout...one of the primary points being, 30 cal bullets are ubiquitous, and no one at my range is reloading 223...meaning I can pick up all the brass cases I want.

My first ammo purchase was 147 gr Armscor. It’s the lowest cost ammo at my range, $10.99/box. Have you tried any of this? I’m still new to this cartridge, and ARs in general, so I’ve shot maybe 200 rounds total, between 147gr Armscor, 200gr Sellior & Bellot subs, and a few rounds I made up of Hornady 150gr Interlock SP, and 220gr Lapua Scenar L. My 150gr Hornady loads with 15.4gr A1680 shot really nicely, with substantially less felt recoil than the 147gr Armscor factory loads. I didn’t notice much difference between the S&B ammo and my loads with 11.6gr A1680.

All in all, the adventure is just starting...but I do like this cartridge.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've shot Armscor ammo, just not their 300 BLK, with out issue. The only ammo I don't really like and stay away from is Freedom Munitions. My 6.5 Grendel build will be completed today when my upper shows up.

I built an 8.5” 300 Blackout pistol in November, my first AR. I’d been looking at 6.5 Grendel when I came across some information that lead me to the 300 Blackout...one of the primary points being, 30 cal bullets are ubiquitous, and no one at my range is reloading 223...meaning I can pick up all the brass cases I want.

My first ammo purchase was 147 gr Armscor. It’s the lowest cost ammo at my range, $10.99/box. Have you tried any of this? I’m still new to this cartridge, and ARs in general, so I’ve shot maybe 200 rounds total, between 147gr Armscor, 200gr Sellior & Bellot subs, and a few rounds I made up of Hornady 150gr Interlock SP, and 220gr Lapua Scenar L. My 150gr Hornady loads with 15.4gr A1680 shot really nicely, with substantially less felt recoil than the 147gr Armscor factory loads. I didn’t notice much difference between the S&B ammo and my loads with 11.6gr A1680.

All in all, the adventure is just starting...but I do like this cartridge.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Ouch, those 220 grain Lapua Scenar L's are too rich for my blood. Try these 220 grain Berry's for $110 for 500.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....-diameter-220-grain-tmj-spire-point-500-count

You can get a smaller bulk box of 200 for $51, if you want to test them before you buy in bulk. The bad news is they just went off sale for 500/$91 last month. Anytime I see seconds or blems on sale, I usually go right to the 200+ grain .308 bullets.

The good thing about subs in the .300BLK is that you do not need them to expand to work. Because they are high BC bullets, velocity lost is going to be under 50fps per 100 yards, and because those bullets are so long, their sectional density will insure crazy penetration, they are just going to penetrate anything you shoot, unless they hit something hard, like bone, and then they will tumble. 200+ grains of .30 cal sideways is a huge amount of knockdown power.

The other thing about shooting subs without a suppressor is that you will be more worried about getting enough gas pressure to cycle your action than just about anything else. You will go supersonic before you reach max pressures, so back off when you hear a supersonic crack. That also means you can go right to your target load, without the normal work up and fine tune from there. Heavier than 200 grain bullets work better than lighter than 200 grain bullet because the heavier the bullet the more gas pressure you will get.

Now 5.56mm is loud, exceptionally loud out of a short barrel, but a .300BLK sub is not loud, even when not suppressed. I was out firing it on a range and about halfway through a 30 round mag, and someone setup in the next position over. I was still sighting on my target when they fired their first round. I thought to myself, what is that guy firing a .300 Win Mag, and then I looked over and it was a Ruger 10/22. It just seemed tremendously louder than those .300BLK subs.

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Assault rifle

Love my 7.5" .300 Blackout setup for subs.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I've been concentrating exclusively on powder/polymer coated lead cast bullets for my 300BLK range applications due to cost. I shoot SNS Casting 30-30 bullets (158gn) for the supersonic stuff and 195 - 235gn for subs. Those Berry's plated bullets look nice and if I could find them on sale somewhere or just in a quantity that brings them under $0.20/round, they would be a definite option. I'm currently getting the 195gn bullets for about $0.14/round and the 235gn Missouri Bullet Co runs around $0.16/per shipped.

Still have a LOT of testing to perform though....

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
A friend of mine who casts, shoots about a 265 grain wad cutter out of a bolt gun in .300BLK. He says it hits like a freight train, but it losses velocity so quick he will only use it out to 100 yards. I don't remember where he got the mold, but NOE is probably a good place to start looking.

MidwayUSA and MidSouthShooters both run the Berrys 220 grain .308 on sale for $90-$99/500 every other month or so, but I would think anyone stocking Berrys Bullets would too.

If you are running a .458 SOCOM, Berrys also has a 350 grain plated flat nose that run $131 for 500. Since it is hard to find good bullets for the SOCOM under $.50 each, these are great for plinking, and maybe some hunting.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ouch, those 220 grain Lapua Scenar L's are too rich for my blood. Try these 220 grain Berry's for $110 for 500.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....-diameter-220-grain-tmj-spire-point-500-count

You can get a smaller bulk box of 200 for $51, if you want to test them before you buy in bulk. The bad news is they just went off sale for 500/$91 last month. Anytime I see seconds or blems on sale, I usually go right to the 200+ grain .308 bullets.
GW70, the great thing about this sport is someone is always running a great sale. If you keep looking long and hard enough, you’ll find some incredible deals. I bought 3 boxes of the 220 gr Lapuas for 1/2 price...$129.99/ 500...26 cents each. 28 including tax and shipping. Don’t know why they were on “Clearance “. I bought the first box, kicked myself, then ordered 2 more. The 1st order was under $150, so I paid shipping. Second order...really heavy box...shipped free. Two weeks after this “Clearance” sale, the bullets doubled in price. I realize I may never find this deal again...but no matter. I’ve also order a mess of 150 gr FMJ. I’m planning to work sub loads for these as well.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I would not bother with sub loads under 200 grains without a suppressor. The biggest issue by far will be getting enough gas pressure to reliably operate the action. You can actually get some pretty good supersonic loads with those 150's.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I would not bother with sub loads under 200 grains without a suppressor. The biggest issue by far will be getting enough gas pressure to reliably operate the action. You can actually get some pretty good supersonic loads with those 150's.
I think I may have found a load for 195gn bullets but I need to get them chrono'd to be certain - they definitely cycled my 10.5" without a suppressor and I don't think I heard the sound barrier break....

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Yes, get them chrono'd and post the data.

I am running 208 grain Hornady A-Max pushed by 10.0 grains of Win 296, LC Cases, CCI M41 primer, OAL of 2.26, Taper Crimp .330. out of my 7.5" barrel. I am not hearing the supersonic crack, it cycles the action well, is accurate but I need to chrono it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts