Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made up my mind to get a .300 BO pistol pretty soon (Spring at the latest) with a pistol length gas system and will most assuredly reload for it. My question(s) concern any issues or pitfalls that one may encounter when embarking on this expedition of reloading this round.

From what I can see, super sonics (110-125 gn bullets) will cause the COAL to be a good deal shorter than a standard .223 rounds due to the length of the bullet - is that correct and does that cause any potential feed issues?
Do these lighter bullets cause any potential cycling issues? What about heavier bullets?

These are my primary current questions. Any answers may beget more questions though :).

Thanks!
JJ

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
The only feed issues I ever had was with some 125 grain Sierras that were designed for use in a 30-30. Loaded 10, shot 5, pulled the bullets on the others and put them back into the 30-30 bin. Not really any problems on any of the others that I've tried. I use Speer 125 TNT HP for most applications and the Nosler 125 ballistic tip for hunting specific rounds.

Just came across this load data from Sierra;

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/12/21/sierra-bullets-300-aac-blackout-load-data/

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I load a lot of fmj bt in 147-150 for plinking and range fun. The lighter stuff will be quick hunting round. Your coal will be shorter for those, but that's not be an issue for me thus far. The 147-150 can be loaded pretty long without issue. You shouldn't run into trouble with mags until you get into the heavy bullets for subs.
Lighter bullets seem to cause less problems cycling than the heavy ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts