Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thirty years ago today around this time I sailed off to war.
Remembering those we took down and those that did not come back, and those that came back...but not the same. GOD BLESS 'EM ALL!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great pic NYPD going to steal it. THANKS!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Yes- bless all who have served.

2 things I remember about that war-

1) you can lose a ship in a minute
2) telephone operators can be your friend.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Remembering those we took down and those that did not come back, and those that came back...but not the same. GOD BLESS 'EM ALL!
:thumb: :angel:

Ironic how the 'cycle' continues. I was just talking with the 'kids' at work last night about how it was 29 years ago that I reported to the MEPS and got shipped off to Basic Training. That was the last day I started as a 'kid', waking up in my bed at my folks house, on a Thursday. My first full day on active duty was Friday May 13th, 1983. :D

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Patriotism knows no geographical borders.

GOD bless you, rodfair.

Reactions: rodfair

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
:thumb: :angel:

...My first full day on active duty was Friday May 13th, 1983. :D
And mine was December 16, 1965...but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Reactions: rodfair and Zylo_X

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
And mine was December 16, 1965...but I remember it like it was yesterday.
Not to make you feel bad, BUT ... :D On 12/16/65, I was about 1 year and 21 days old.

After Friday the 13th in Basic, they have always been my Lucky days.

Anyways, Thanks for carrying the torch, and passing it on.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I was twelve when this was going on, but I am grateful to all the men and women like yourself that fought and defended our country. Thank You!

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
My first full day in Boot was September 6, 1965. My first day in-country was 5/6/66. I left for the US on 4/1/69, and was separated on 4/9/69.

Dang, that was a LOOONG time ago. Had I known that I'd make it this far, I'd have been more careful.:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
rodfair and all the others here who have served, my family and I THANK YOU! I have many family members who have served and have been in wars from Korea to the sand box. I know how hard it is on a family so with that said, my thanks is not only to you but to your family also!

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Thanks for your service then ........... and now Rod!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Thanks for your service then and what you continue to do with your Sea Cadets.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
The British did the right thing with the individuals on the ground handling themselves with honour. Too many paid the ultimate price, but such is the case in any war.

On this subject, I just watched the Iron Lady for the first time last night. I really Love Lady Thatcher! I have had the pleasure of seeing her speak in person before and she is an amazing woman.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Reminds me of all the jokes going around at the time. Stuff like Argentine tanks come with back up lights. My 30 year anniversary is coming up also. Next year Oct, 1983

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thirty years ago today around this time I sailed off to war. Remembering those we took down and those that did not come back, and those that came back...but not the same. GOD BLESS 'EM ALL!
Rod, 40 years ago on 4 June I came home from Vietnam. Funny how certain dates stick in your mind. God bless all our brothers and sisters in uniform and retired.

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will try and put some random thoughts here...some or you will identify...some will not and think me a maroon...but according to Jake, by definition I'm a maroon any way.
This if you will is a cleansing.
I volunteered, thought it would be great etc come home a hero, if we ever went to war at all, politicians were still talking...announced when I was on leave that ship was requisitioned....damn at the time the biggest cruise ship in the world sucked in by the gubmint. Ok I can hack this...family and I were on "the outs" at the time. Told to rejoin....immediate meetings with the Ministry of Defence...this ship is ours...you do as we say....Hey your buck! We had do all sorts of things install 40 washers and dryers fridges beds etc....a first class cabin that would sleep 4 would now sleep up to 14! Had to install satellite gear for comms. Change the menus...french fries at every meal...I put on 40 pounds over 2 months the food was so good...lots of stews
Troops would come to us for help...had a lecture on the Geneva Convention, doesnt matter how sharp your bayonet is as long as it isnt rusty...asked to sharpen over 1000, fresh from Buckingham palace bayonets....We took the Scots Guards and Welsh Guards, the Queens own guards that people do not expect to be able to fight...I beg to differ... AND the GHURKAS....never been on a ship...never seen a telephone...interesting conversations took place.
Helicopters taking on and off from places that passengers were sunbathing a month before.. Even a Harrier tried it" Refuelling at sea with the hoses being pulled on by manpower!
On the way home with the survivors of all those "invincible" ships it was " let me back at them" At a dinner met up with an RAF helo pilot who was carrying 30 SAS men...who knows where/ Had a bird strike that put them down...icebergs remember??... he was trapped with a broken leg....his watch said 30 ft under water and the sole surviving SAS dude, after making sure ALL his collegues were dead then went and rescued him....other pilot was dead. They were the only 2 survivors. SAS dude went back to the war. After losing 22 of them in the helo...they were a bit short.

I have a map that the troops used, and has all military maps, little bits at the bottom...there may be boggy bits here...extended rock here etc...this one had...this settlement has dogs...they will bark! WELL DUH!
I do not wish to bore you any further. But I do thank you for your kind comments.
And to some of the comments that you have posted...I volunteered for the Falklands because of love of my country as so many of you have...I volunteered for the Sea Cadets because of my love of what the youth of this country can become.
Sorry to be so long winded....and that was not Corona fuelled!

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
Thanks rodfiar and all the others who have defended their countries with honor. Simple pleasures, such as posting this comment, are due to those who went before me. And, you can tell all the stories and reminisce all you would like - I'll read them with keen interest.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts