Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I would like to see Paul Harrel test this round out on his aptly named "meat targets" complete with "The new and improved high-tech fleece bullet stop".

We have a lot of numerical figures being tossed around at present, but such numbers are usually misleading, and mean a lot less than they would appear to on paper.

If this cartridge is so amazing, then it ought to be demonstrated with some actual testing.

·
Registered
37,336 Posts
First a post already exist on this subject, second i am waiting on a GX 4 in 45 Gap to come out before i buy one.
and finally another "NEW" great" caliber , just what we need in my opinion
the biggest and best improvement in my opinion is the development of the new projectiles that make the existing calibers much better.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would like to see Paul Harrel test this round out on his aptly named "meat targets" complete with "The new and improved high-tech fleece bullet stop".

We have a lot of numerical figures being tossed around at present, but such numbers are usually misleading, and mean a lot less than they would appear to on paper.

If this cartridge is so amazing, then it ought to be demonstrated with some actual testing.
yes ,talks cheap . unless it vaporizes the meat target and sets it on fire i`m not going for it . i holding out for something in 7.62 x25
like a pocket t33 tokarev ---------------

·
Registered
169 Posts
I like seeing new cartridges become available. I'm not interested in a new semi-auto cartridge, but a 32 cal magnum type semi-auto will surely find a place among many shooters. I too would be enterested in a Paul Herrell test...

If we only shot what we "needed", we all would be shooting 9mm pistols, 357 Magnum revolvers and 30-06 bolt guns. Nearly every "need" can be covered by these and we wouldn't need any of the hundreds of other calibers/cartridgs. I have neen shooting since I was 20 (city kid) have about 14 different cartridge/caliber guns, reload for all but 2, and am looking at a new cartridge gun for me; 327 Fed. Mag. Need another gun/caliber? No! Want one, just 'cause? Yes indeed! Just part of the freedom of gun ownership here (except CA!)..

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
yes ,talks cheap . unless it vaporizes the meat target and sets it on fire i`m not going for it . i holding out for something in 7.62 x25
like a pocket t33 tokarev ---------------
Funny that you should say that, back when Ruger introduced the Ruger-57 Pistol, I pitched the idea for a Ruger-762 chambered in 7.62x25 Tokarev to the CEO via e-mail, but nothing ever came of it.
Shame too, as based on what I can find, 7.62x25 Tokarev can basically do everything that 5.7x28 FN can but with a larger diameter bullet and lower peak operational pressures, but it's old news at this point, and evidently firearms/ammo manufacturers would rather roll the dice by reinventing the wheel with some new whizbang cartridge, relying on a potent combination of marketing hype and consumer ignorance due to lack of available information/data to turn a profit than simply attempt to revive an existing cartridge which is actually proven and has legitimate advantages.

Honestly, can you imagine if firearms/ammo manufacturers would just try to drum up hype for older, more obscure cartridges rather than constantly turning out new ones that don't actually offer anything new to begin with?
It seems to have worked out alright for 10mm Auto, so why couldn't it work for other great cartridges that never got their due? 7.62x25 Tokarev, .38 Super, .357 SIG, .45 Super/.450 SMC, all great little cartridges which were either phased out of service too soon or simply overshadowed by something else.

Also, I really wish that some ammo company be so bold as to finally flip the doggone table on the FBI/IWBA's antiquated, misleading, psuedo-scientific, and grossly inadequate testing protocol along with its phony results by conducting some in-house documented, recorded, and publicly available testing using Ballistics Dummy Labs Simulated Torsos like the Army has been using, as I think that those would finally put an end to all the nonsense about how 9mm Luger is more or less equal to more powerful cartridges once folks are actually exposed to what has been common knowledge among hunters forever, that larger diameter bullets of greater mass, weight, and/or velocity tend to have more devastating effects against bone.
Heck, that might be able to help .32 Super Carry as well, assuming that it actually has enough oomph to deal greater damage in a simulated torso than 9mm Luger.

There are no shortage of ammo manufacturers who use videos of blocks of gelatin being shot with their ammo as promotional material, so why haven't any of them taken the next logical step and used Ballistic Dummy Labs Torsos?
It would even make weaker cartridges look more impressive simply because there would be more of a visually appreciable effect on-target than a block of gel. Knife manufacturers like Cold Steel and television shows like Forged in Fire have been using simulated torsos for years to help showcase the effectiveness of blades, so why not bullets? Even certain YouTubers have been doing it as of late, so ammo manufacturers should seriously get with the program.

·
Registered
358 Posts
my reply was mostly in jest ,but i do have zastava m57 and a cz 52 in 7.62 x25 . its a powerful cartridge
with low recoil . would be very impressive in a modern pistol . can not think of any recent guns chambered
in it except this norinco ------
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have no personal interest in another caliber. I'm not really caliber sensitive and don't see any personal benefit for me. I suppose added capacity could be a benefit, but we could two-more-rounds to the end of time. Someone will find some benefit and I'm thinking maybe my wife might be one of those people. I'm anxious to see what comes out of this. Will we see a .30 SC Taurus G3c, GX4, Sig P365 or something new all together?

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
It's a .32 bottom feeder round putting out .32WCF numbers from a compact carry gun.

The last time the gun industry reinvented a Winchester Center Fire round in a bottom feeder, they introduced the. 40S&W (which duplicated the 38WCF).

It'll work as advertised. Bullets of that weight and diameter have been doing what they claim the new round will do ballistically since the 1880's with documented results. The bullets themselves aren't going to be an issue since we're talking about Federal, Remington and Speer supplying the JHP's. Gold Dots are Gold Dots, after all.

On the other hand, the .32 crowd now gets to use all of the 9mm arguments the 9mm followers use in the eternal 9 vs 45 argument- but against the 9mm crowd. I do love the irony of that.

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
369 Posts
Compared to the 9mm, it's only real advantage is magazine capacity. Similar bullet weight with a similar muzzle velocity will produce similar recoil. The real difference is the operating pressure 50 Kpsi vs 38 Kpsi; this thing is probably going to be painfully loud (like a .30 Carbine).

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
First a post already exist on this subject, second i am waiting on a GX 4 in 45 Gap to come out before i buy one.
and finally another "NEW" great" caliber , just what we need in my opinion
the biggest and best improvement in my opinion is the development of the new projectiles that make the existing calibers much better.
Nailed it. I've actually reduced and confined my handgun calibers to .45APC, 9mm, .38sp/.357 and .22. I do have a .25 Colt that I inherited from my late FIL that has a great deal of sentimental value. I no longer have safe queens that I bought just to see if I'd like them, and all of my needs and wants are covered: From plinking to SD. Don't need another caliber. And like you, I am much more interested in tracking improvements of existing calibers.

·
Registered
358 Posts
another vid --- still not seeing it

·
Registered
165 Posts
Like I said in the other .30SC thread... a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
I totally agree with those who believe efforts would be better spent improving the more popular rounds we already have.

Not that I have much room to talk being a fan of .327FM & .41RM...

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
38, 357, and 9mm are enough for me.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
My first thought was to post ..."who needs this Stuff?"...but thought I would look into the thought behind and the actual worth this new caliber will bring to the firearm world. So after doing that, my response is now...Who needs this Stuff?!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, and nobody needs a car that will go 100 mph, nor one with more electronics than the Challenger Space shuttle. The information and results from one new cartridge will help old cartridges too. New improvements in cartridge technology/ballistics will trickle down to 100+ year old cartridges. The negative comments abut a new cartridge are pretty close to those seen when polymer (plastic) guns came on the scene. "We don need no steenkin' guns made of plastic"...

·
Registered
358 Posts
lets skip over this whimpy one ,and go directly to .30 carbine . super carry +p mod.2 ---------
Cosmetics Box Gas Carton Liquid

·
Registered
358 Posts
this is kind of beating a dead horse ,but this guy has some good points pro and con -----------

• Haha
Reactions: Buckeye!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts