Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone.

Well i purchased a brand new weapon from a local gun shop back in march. It was a PT709, and accord to the serial number, it was just manufactured this year so it was right off the assembly line.

I carried the weapon for about a week before finally being able to take it to the range. went through about 100 rounds with no issues. Felt pretty good with the gun and it shot well. two weeks of carrying it and i went back to the range with my father to put a few more rounds through it and let him try it out. along with me trying out his Kimber 1911 and Beretta Storm. Between both him and i, we attempted at shooting 100 rounds of three different brand bullets, out of the 100 rounds the gun only successfully shot 70% of them. i had both misfires and misfeeds. Very upset about this i took it to a local gun shop which confirmed that there was a problem with the firing pin on the gun.

i immediately contacted Taurus and sent the gun in for repair. 3 months later, a combined 8 hours of wait time, 6 different customer service reps and i have not received my gun back. i am currently being told that the facility is under an audit and that they can not send any guns out. i did some searching and found the email of the customer service manager and sent her the following email. wonder if anyone here would be able to give me some insight or help with the situation.

"Good Afternoon Kimberly,

I am contacting you in hopes of having a resolution to my problem.

I currently have a firearm, a PT709, serial # TFT*****, at your location getting repaired. I purchased this firearm, my first gun, on March 3rd of this year. I was able to take the gun to the range that first week and put 100 rounds through with no problems. I then went 2 weeks later and attempted to shoot another 100 rounds. Although this time after the first few clips the gun started to misfire and misfeed. I attempted to use 3 different brands of ammunition and obtained the same result. The next day I took it to the local gun shop in Davie that I purchased it from. The shop took a look at the weapon and it lock up several times on them. They informed to me contact Taurus in order for it to be repaired.

On April 2nd I contacted the customer service team. The gentleman I spoke to over the phone told me that it would be about 4 weeks to receive the weapon back. Then once the gun was received at your facility, I called to ensure everything was ok. The customer service rep informed me that it would be 6 weeks and not 4, as long as all parts were in stock. I found no issue with this as long as it was easily repaired.

On Tuesday, May 14th, I called back to see the status of the repair. I had been checking the status online but the site showed no activity. The person I spoke to, I believe her name was Theresa, informed me that the firearm had been repaired and it just needed to be cleaned, boxed and shipped out. She told me that she added me to a notification watch and would send me the tracking number once it was sent out. By Friday I had not heard anything so I called and was informed that it still needed to be cleaned, boxed and shipped and due to the Memorial Day holiday, this would not occur until the following week.

A week later I had not heard anything. I placed a call again that following Tuesday, May 28th. I was informed once again, that the firearm still needed to be cleaned, boxed and shopped out and there was a delay due to the holiday.

On June 4th, I called again, asking what the status was and was given the same information and was told that they would let me know once it was shipped.

On June 10th, I spoke to Noel, he apologized to me for the inconvenience and informed me that the firearm had not made any progress after being fixed. But that it would be cleaned, boxed and shipped within 24 hours. By June 24th, I had not received any update on the weapon so I placed another called. After another 2 hour wait on hold I finally spoke to someone. This person informed me that your facility was under an audit and that all weapons were to stay on property. He also told me that he would not be able to tell me when they could send the gun out.

Today, June 18th, I placed yet another call. I spoke to a young lady that placed me on hold for a few minutes. After coming back to the phone she informed me that the gun could not be shipped due to an audit of the handguns. I was unsure why she did not know about the audit prior to putting me on hold since it seems like something that would effect all your customers.

It has now been almost 3 months since I sent the gun to your facility. You have had it in your procession longer than I had it in mine. During this whole process no one has been able to give me a definite answer on when I would be receiving my gun. Also, no one has even tried to explain to me what was wrong with it in the first place. The gun was manufactured in January of this year, meaning it was a brand new gun when I purchased it and should not of had any defaults with it.

I am hoping you can help me with this problem. I literally live about 5 miles north of your facility and would be more than willing to come pick the gun up myself. I have spent a lot of time waiting in hold to speak to someone over the last 3 months and I have received little in return.

Thank you,
Joel M"

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Go to the factory and see. You never know. If you are 5 miles away, why did you ship it to begin with. Id have personally dropped it off and picked it up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried, they said i'm not allowed to do either one. i just threw it in there because its true. but i was already told i cant do that.

im going to try to go tomorrow on my day off. see if they will let me past security to talk to someone.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Double check your dates. June 24th hasn't occurred yet. Just sayin...

I had an OK experience with Taurus customer support. I was expecting a 6-8 week turnaround time on my PT840, and they had it fixed and shipped out within 4-5 weeks.

My issue with them is the lack of communication. I told them I would like them to let me know when the repairs were complete and needed a tracking number to make sure I was home to sign for the delivery.

No status updates whatsoever. Their internet site status checker simply does not work. I called them 2 days prior to receiving my firearm in the mail, and all they could tell me was that it was received and they had not begun working on it.

2 days later, I received a knock on my door by FedEx and there it was. Its amazing they can fix and get it shipped in 2 days...

Sure, I was happy turnaround time was quicker than expected, but it would be nice to know what the hell is going on. I was leaving for a trip out of state the day after I received the firearm, so that means it would have been held on FedEx limbo if I hadn't been there to sign for it. Knowing that FedEx and the other carriers play a game of hot potato with any firearm (they don't want to touch it a second more than they have to) it probably would have been sent back to Taurus and I would have had to wait another 2 weeks for them to realize it had already been fixed. Also, the lack of detail on the invoice was a bit annoying. All that was noted was parts replaced. Did not say how or why they broke, they just broke.

3 months is a long time to wait, especially if it is your first, and only gun you have to carry. My PT840 was my first gun as well, but I'm not so sure if I would go with another Taurus semi auto again. On a lighter note, the gun has functioned great since the repair, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sent from my Bosch ECU via VAG COM

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Double check your dates. June 24th hasn't occurred yet. Just sayin...

I had an OK experience with Taurus customer support. I was expecting a 6-8 week turnaround time on my PT840, and they had it fixed and shipped out within 4-5 weeks.

My issue with them is the lack of communication. I told them I would like them to let me know when the repairs were complete and needed a tracking number to make sure I was home to sign for the delivery.

No status updates whatsoever. Their internet site status checker simply does not work. I called them 2 days prior to receiving my firearm in the mail, and all they could tell me was that it was received and they had not begun working on it.

2 days later, I received a knock on my door by FedEx and there it was. Its amazing they can fix and get it shipped in 2 days...

Sure, I was happy turnaround time was quicker than expected, but it would be nice to know what the hell is going on. I was leaving for a trip out of state the day after I received the firearm, so that means it would have been held on FedEx limbo if I hadn't been there to sign for it. Knowing that FedEx and the other carriers play a game of hot potato with any firearm (they don't want to touch it a second more than they have to) it probably would have been sent back to Taurus and I would have had to wait another 2 weeks for them to realize it had already been fixed. Also, the lack of detail on the invoice was a bit annoying. All that was noted was parts replaced. Did not say how or why they broke, they just broke.

3 months is a long time to wait, especially if it is your first, and only gun you have to carry. My PT840 was my first gun as well, but I'm not so sure if I would go with another Taurus semi auto again. On a lighter note, the gun has functioned great since the repair, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sent from my Bosch ECU via VAG COM
nice catch, that was suppose to say 14, not 24(last friday).

yea the website is not showing anything other than it was recieved. i really liked the gun and to be honest i had been looking into purchasing that gun for almost 2 years before i finally did purchase it.

i dont really live in the best of areas and i dont have the money to just go purchase another weapon so its been rough to not have this with me, just as that extra comfort.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
i tried, they said i'm not allowed to do either one. i just threw it in there because its true. but i was already told i cant do that.

im going to try to go tomorrow on my day off. see if they will let me past security to talk to someone.
That is a bummer on not being able to drop it off. I can kind of understand not picking it up, but I should be able to drop it off. (just my opinion) Not sure if there are any legal issues on this.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
That sucks. That wait is a long one. I hope they get it back to you soon!

It sounds like you handled everything well though!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a bummer on not being able to drop it off. I can kind of understand not picking it up, but I should be able to drop it off. (just my opinion) Not sure if there are any legal issues on this.
Well my dad made a good point. How long do I wait until I say they stole my gun. As stupid of a statement it is, considering this very large and well known gun manufacturer would "steal" one persons gun. It's the feeling that is being portrayed.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Well my dad made a good point. How long do I wait until I say they stole my gun. As stupid of a statement it is, considering this very large and well known gun manufacturer would "steal" one persons gun. It's the feeling that is being portrayed.
What kind of audit is it, internal or ATF or something.

I'd be mad at Taurus if it was internal and they didn't tell you. If its the ATF, thats who I'd place blame on if it was me.

I see what you are saying though and I would be mad as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of audit is it, internal or ATF or something.

I'd be mad at Taurus if it was internal and they didn't tell you. If its the ATF, thats who I'd place blame on if it was me.

I see what you are saying though and I would be mad as well.
They didn't tell me when I asked. They just said audit. I still don't understand how your employees don't know you're under an audit until after they get my serial number.

Also. How is it that they went into an audit last Monday and Hottarod received his gun back from them on Saturday. But today my gun can't be shipped because of the audit. That's just crazy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel your pain I'm going on 6 months since I sent my 809c in for repair and I'm still waiting.
6 months!!! That's crazy. Why is it taking them so long?

And the wait wouldn't be so bad if they weren't toying with me and actually keeping me updated or giving me real information.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
It sounds to me like you have been resonable in your requests for information and patient too. Keeping track of your calls, wait times, and person you spoke with is good practice. If I were you, I would take that information to the factory and try to talk to someone. Ask to speak with Kimberly Intagliata, customer service manager. Be polite, calm and show them your efforts to receive your gun back and if it is done and waiting to be cleaned and shipped, that should have happened a long time ago. Do ask about this audit and get them to commit to a date when you can expect to receive the weapon back. It can't hurt to try this approach.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So today I got a reply from Kimberly at Taurus:

"Good day Mr. Montenegro,

I apologize for the extended time that your firearm has been in our repair facility for an extended period of time. There was an issue with our system that had your firearm logged as complete when in fact it was not. All of our repairs go through a repair, then an inspection and there are a minimum of 2 magazines put through the firearm. If there is an issue, the firearm then goes back to the gunsmiths for further review and the process starts over. Your firearm was scanned incorrectly when it went back to the gunsmith. Unfortunately our customer service agents were not able to see that this is what had occurred. We are required to audit our bound books for repair and new inventory once per month, which has caused a further delay.

I will email you with the tracking number as soon as we are able to release your firearm for shipping. Unfortunately we do not take in or give out firearms from our facility.

Please let me know if there are any further questions I can answer for you. I will update you shortly. Thank you!

Carry On,

Kimberly D. Intagliata
Customer Service and Repair Departments Manager
Taurus International Manufacturing, Inc.
16175 N.W. 49th Avenue
Miami, Florida 33014"

To which my reply was:

"Good afternoon Kimberly,

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I am glad that you were able to supply me with more information than what was being given to me.

The only other question I have is whether you would be able to tell me how long the audit usually takes? I was informed that you went into audit last Tuesday so I wasn't sure if it usually takes more than a week. I would think not being able to send out the guns for a week would greatly hinderance the company.

Again, Thank you very much.

Joel Montenegro"

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Cookym, you are a lot more patient and polite than a lot of us here. Sorry to hear about all the problems you've had. The silver lining here is that you can use all the time you would have spent at the range here...reading the posts.

Best of luck on the repairs and getting your gun back SOON.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cookym, you are a lot more patient and polite than a lot of us here. Sorry to hear about all the problems you've had. The silver lining here is that you can use all the time you would have spent at the range here...reading the posts.

Best of luck on the repairs and getting your gun back SOON.
Thank you. I guess I've become soft with all my customer service jobs. Just hoping it returns to me soon with no other issues.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I would imagine that your patience will be rewarded with a bit more than just a properly functioning weapon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would imagine that your patience will be rewarded with a bit more than just a properly functioning weapon.
Damn. I hope so. Everyone around here keeps telling me to ask for them to send extra clips with the gun and stuff like that.

I just want the dang gun back already. Anything more than that would just be extra.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
That is good news. At least now you know what is going on and hopefully it will not be too much longer. Keep us posted as things progress.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts