Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out budsgunshop.com and ran across a 3" model 605 for $297 delivered. It seems like it would make a nice "walk in the woods" gun or CCW. Does anyone have one and can they provide some pros/cons?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Good reliable gun. Straight shooter. It will serve you well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when I saw small frame 5 shot .357 w/ 3" barrel for less than $300...my 1st thought is inexpensive sp101! how is the recoil? I have shot a buddies rossi 2" .357 snub and it was not that bad...but it was with cci blazer!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, a 2" sp101 weighs in at 25oz from what I can find on the web. I think the 2" 605 is 23oz. Let's just say that .357 rounds will not be comfortable out of either of them. I have shot 357 out of a 2" sp101 before and it stung. I can't even imagine would it would be like out of a Ti gun at half the weight.

As for CCI Blazer, their 357 is actually some of the hotter cheap ammo out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the 605 is a steel frame and the 2" weighs 24oz (according to the taurususa.com website). They list the weight for the model 605b3 (605 3") as 24oz also. It must be a typo since 1" of barrel must add 2-3oz's. Does anyone have a weight on the 605 3"?

I agree full house .357's are going to sting a bit;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Model 605SH2 which is a titanium .357 that only weighs 16 ounces. The recoil is a bit stout with .357 rounds but it's a "cream-puff" with 38 specials particularly the 129 gr Hydrashok Federals marked "Low Recoil". The most comfortable .357 loads in this gun are the 130 gr Hydrashok Federals marked "Low Recoil". Even my wife can handle these with no problem. I have some 125 gr Remington JSP's that I use for punching paper with this gun that are full-house hunting loads and about all that I can tolerate for more than about 4 cylinders full (20 rounds).

Anyway, it's about the maximum firepower that you can get in a 1 pound gun. You can just "drop it" into a pocket on a pair of cargo pants and never know that it's there. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input! I think I'm going to pick up the 605b3 from buds next week. I will post a range report once I get it to the range. I cant wait to tell you how much fun it is to shoot with S&B 158gr soft point .357's.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I wear a glove when I shoot .357's in mine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had the 605ss3 for about a year. I also don't have big hands. I carry either gold dot low recoil or DPX. Either one is manageable for me at .357. High power .357 is difficult for me in this gun.

Your mileage may vary.

CCI 38s are a breeze on the range.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Forgot to mention that holsters for the 3 inch are out there but not easy to find. Otherwise, it is a great gun and easily concealable on my hip.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a blue 2" 605. Shooting full power .357s were painful, as I have arthritis in both thumbs and wrists. The .38 +P GDSB round was manageable. I replaced the issue grips with a set of Hogue Monogrips. .357s are now quite easy to shoot, and concealability has not suffered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since the 605b3 is ~ the same size as a S&W 60 or lady smith, I was hoping one of those holsters fit.

As for recoil...its a ~25oz .357...with hot loads like the S&B, DT or buffalo bore 158gr'ers...its gonna sting, but in a good way:) It should let some 2 or 4 legged animal know that yer thinkin about them;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
wnycollector said:
Since the 605b3 is ~ the same size as a S&W 60 or lady smith, I was hoping one of those holsters fit.

As for recoil...its a ~25oz .357...with hot loads like the S&B, DT or buffalo bore 158gr'ers...its gonna sting, but in a good way:) It should let some 2 or 4 legged animal know that yer thinkin about them;)
Make sure, if it is a molded holster, that it specifies the Taurus The underlug barrel, on my 2" does not fit in the J frame Blackhawk holster. The Fobus has a specific model for Taurus, though I don't think it includes the 3".

·
Registered
878 Posts
The Fobus has a specific model for Taurus, though I don't think it includes the 3".
I have the fobus, it will work. The barrel will just stick out the bottom a little. My favorite is the Bianchi black widow. It also has an open bottom and will work with any barrel length.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts