Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this revolver for a while, took it out back to try it out recently, fired 5 rounds through it, reloaded the cylinder, closed it, now it is stuck closed. I called Taurus and they said send it to them. I told the guy I couldn't because I can't *unload* it. Besides being stuck shut, it does seem to function, but I'm a bit concerned about firing it when it has an issue, nor do I think it is good form to send it back with spent shells in it.
Has anyone else here has this issue?
I'm stumped, and a tad miffed about it. LOL

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
I think I would spend a few bucks with a local smith to get the cyl. open and unloaded, then arrange to send it ti Taurus for warranty service. It's a couple of bucks out of pocket, I know.

PS- ​Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I think I would spend a few bucks with a local smith to get the cyl. open and unloaded, then arrange to send it ti Taurus for warranty service. It's a couple of bucks out of pocket, I know.

PS- ​Welcome to the Forum!
What he said, has a lot of logic to it. And welcome from South Tulsa.

·
Registered
24,850 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome folks; pleased to have found this place.
Update: After posting here I got motivated and pulled the thing apart, pulled all the screws, sideplate, took the guts out of it and *still* couldn't open the cylinder, so I put it back together (that was interesting LOL). Today I am going to "bite the bullet" and just fire it, making very sure the chambers line up with the barrel each time. Then I'm going to call Taurus again. I'll send it to them with the spent ammo in it if she still won't open. I'd take it to a gunsmith but I'm really not willing to spend another dime on a revolver that cost almost 600 bucks after the fancy grip I put on it and it screwed up after 5 rounds. I will say this though; taking her apart and putting her back together with live rounds in there was a bit nerve wracking. LOL
I shall post an update when I find out what is going to happen. I appreciate the advice.
Long Live The Republic. :)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Before you do that be very sure you don't have a bullet stuck in the cylinder gap/forcing cone, most likely from a squib. That would make for a terrible day.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
If you are saying the cylinder won't open then maybe the extractor rod has loosened. Just as on most any revolver where the extractor rod unscrews from the cylinder, ratchet or star if the rod is partly unscrewed it will not release when pushing the cylinder latch. Be very careful doing this with a loaded gun but I have used a small screwdriver on the knurled part of the rod to turn it enough to open the gun then tighten it. Be careful not to scratch up the gun though.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Seems like over the past several weeks, there has been at least one judge per week having problems with the cylinder stuck.:confused:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Seems like over the past several weeks, there has been at least one judge per week having problems with the cylinder stuck.:confused:
I have seen a few on youtube lately as well every single one was a 3"barrel with 2.5 cylinder thinking they had a 2 inch barrel and a 3 inch cylinder.

·
8,897 Posts
Welcome to the best forum on the web from Texas.Sorry you are having an issue with your judge. It could be wrong or bad ammo, or something else. I have some ideas but with your gun is in an unsafe condition , it just doesn;t make sense to suggest a course of action without seeing for myself , don't suppose you live in SE Texas? When you took it apart did you notice if the cylinder detent latch arm could be moved/ or were you able to push the cylinder unlatch button to the open position or was it frozen?; Maybe snap a few pics one from the back of the cylinder - capturing the back of the ammo..then a pic of the front of the cylinder capturing the front of the ammo. Also have you looked with a bright light into the front and back cylinder area. Any obvious obstructions - like firing pin sticking out. When you say it seems to operate - what does that mean? Also a warning if you are going to work on this anymore - please keep the barrel pointed into a bucket of sand or some other capture device in case of an unintentional discharge. Really unless you are familiar with working on revolvers, $20-$30 bucks for a smith to get it safely unloaded would be worth it. Heck he may even find what went wrong. I would be happy to work on it for you if you live close. Just a quick pic of how a judge should look in operating condition:

View attachment 82858

The second pic if it shows up is the firing pin in black and the cylinder release arm in red circle - having trouble with the editor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts