Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well you sure are going to get your money's worth in this review. I plan on gifting my Daughter a pistol for her birthday this year. To that end I began trading/selling my, what I call vanity pistols to obtain main stream home defense pistols for her to try out. These three are just part of the group of pistols I purchased for HD and large carry pistols. I chose the service size pistols because she doesn't shoot that often, and I think the larger pistols will serve her better in the long run. I tried to get her to go to a rental range and try out some pistols and gave her a list of ones to try. But life got in the way and she isn't going to be able to get to a range anytime soon. Besides I am always looking for an excuse to try out new pistols.
P1030771bb].jpg

We are looking at three 9mm pistols today, a Taurus G3, Sig P320 Carry, and Beretta full size APX. The G3 comes in a cardboard box with manual, lock and a spare 17 round magazine. The Sig P320 comes in a nice plastic case with manual, lock, and a spare 17 round magazine. The Beretta APX LE edition comes in a very nice plastic case, lock, manual,2 backstraps and 2 spare 17 round magazines.
P1030777bb.jpg

The footprint is similar for these three pistols and they are a good size for newer shooters to use for home defense and carry.
P1030779BB.jpg

Here are the specs for these three excellent pistols:

Taurus G3Sig P320Beretta APX
Weight w/empty mag: 25oz27.2 oz28.2 oz
Weight with 17+1: 32.5 oz34.7oz35.7oz
Height: 5.2"5.5"5.6"
Length: 7.3"7.2"7.55"
Width: 1.25"1.4"1.3"
Barrel length: 4"3.9"4.25"
Trigger pull distance to break: 1/2"3/16"3/16"
Trigger reset distance: 1/3"1/8"3/16"
Trigger pull weight: 5lbs6.5lbs5.5lbs
Sights: small 3 dot systemLarge 3 dot systemLarge 3 dot system
Manual safety: frame safetyno safetyno safety
Cost: $239$459$376

P1030780BB.jpg

Above is how they looked after three 17 round magazines shot for the range test. The APX has the longest rails, the 320 has beefier rails, the G3 has small rails. Shooting impressions: The Taurus G3 is the thinnest, lightest, and has the most felt recoil of this group, but muzzle flip is well managed. The longer trigger pull is only noticeable on that first pull, after that riding the reset is easy. Grip stippling is aggressive where it should be, and the ergo's are excellent. In two range sessions with factory RN,HP, and my reloads over 150 rounds with no failures. This pistol shoots above its pay grade. The Sig P320 Carry is the widest of the three. Recoil and muzzle flip are well managed. While the trigger pull is the heaviest in the group, the short take-up and reset make it feel lighter. Grip stippling is mildly aggressive and the ergo's are excellent. No failures in 150 rounds. The Beretta APX full size is the largest of the three. Recoil management and muzzle flip are the best of this group. The trigger pull while not the heaviest, has a long, heavy wall. However the reset is very short. The grip panels are very well done, I preferred the medium with beaver tail for my hands. Ergo's are excellent for this pistol. This pistol also had no failures in 150 rounds.
P1030782BB.jpg

These targets were shot at 18 yards, and all three pistols did very well. The G3 probably had the best groups, but shot a little low. All three are great shooters. The G3 is the best value and a proven accurate, reliable shooter. Build quality and finish is lacking, but for this price point you can't go wrong with a Taurus G3. The Sig P320 carry is the highest priced pistol of this group. But for that cost, you get a very well made and proven self defense pistol. It is the smoothest running of this group and has all the quality one expects from Sig Sauer. The Beretta APX is the most intriguing, like the Sig the build quality is outstanding. I thought with the cheap prices for these that there must be something wrong with this pistol. Also those slide serrations, you either love or hate them. What a surprise , the APX rocks. Quick rate of fire, accurate, reliable and with the quality we have come to expect from Beretta. With the medium backstrap with beavertail, the grip is the best of all three for me. Also this pistol came with the most features. Take down can be difficult, until you treat it like a 92, then all is good. Any of these three would serve you well. Thanks for looking.

·
Administrator
18,111 Posts
Excellent detailed comparison/review! :cool: Your Daughter would be well armed with any of them. Do let her choose which one she wants. :smile:

Some other Pistols you might consider, and in no particular order:

Canik TP9DA
Canik TP9SF
Canik TP9 SF Elite
Mosssberg MC2C
Walther PPQ M
Walther CCP M
S&W SD9VE
S&W M&P 2.0
Cz P10C

With so many good Pistol choices, it's hard to choose just one. Shooter's have never had it so good!

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Let's see, 3 different pistols, 450 rounds, sounds like a pretty decent day at the range. Your daughter can't go wrong with any of those pistols. I will say that when I first saw photos of the APX I was not impressed with the look. When I finally got to see one in person I actually liked it! Maybe I'll rent one some day. Thanks for the good reviews.

I agree with JWC007 about there being so many good guns available these days.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Excellent detailed comparison/review! :cool: Your Daughter would be well armed with any of them. Do let her choose which one she wants. :smile:
And if you need a place to store the other two, I could probably find room for them at my house.:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been wondering about that beretta, I had been seeing it go on sale for under 300 dollars a few times over the past few weeks before the run on guns. You get a lot of extra kit for the money with that, might have to pick one up if I find it for that price again!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m late to the party but one thing I would add is that I went with the p320 for my daily carry over the Taurus g3 because my g3 will not load any hollow point defense rounds. It shoots great with target fmj rounds, but I can’t load any hollow points in it no matter what I try. It binds up about 4mm from the chamber closing. I keep the gun for range days and as a back up but I was a little disappointed with that.

·
Super Moderator
19,940 Posts
Nice choice. I loved my P320 compact and it's my number one carried in 357 sig.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
I have a Taurus® G3C and I love it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great comparison. I hope your daughter made her choice and is happy with it. I would love to know what it was.

I have owned all three also. I still own the P320 carry and the slightly smaller G3C along with the APX Carry.

I enjoy shooting the G3/G3C the most.........shoot the P320 carry the most accurately/effortlessly and never got comfortable with shooting the APX full-size even though I really liked it. The APX full size felt really top heavy/end of the barrel heavy for me and that last bit of heavy trigger pull was no fun. I just could not get a comfortable grip while also getting a clean trigger pull, weird. Mine would not always go completely into battery even after multiple cleanings....... All three are excellent shooters and even I had no trouble being accurate with them.

I did not think I would like the APX Carry DAO after reading about it, but when I finally got to shoot one I was amazed. It had really good balance for my hands, an easy, smooth double action trigger pull and made a great pocket carry 9mm.

The G3/G3C are the best buy in my opinion. Very comfortable for me and anyone I have let shoot them, male or female. The improved trigger over the G2C is really excellent as are the better quality stock sights. Not the most beautiful 9mm but what a proven bargain and zero issues so far with hollow points or FMJs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts