Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 3 finishes offerd on the Raging Bull are: Blued, Stainless, and Case hardened.Anyone know what the case hardened is? Or, have a picture. ???

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard of it before around the time the polished stainless was available on the Raging Bulls.I also saw it when I was searching for RB's for sale.The ad said: "rare finish".Can't remember where I saw it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Case hardened finish is seen mostly on cowboy revolvers, and old models and replicas. I believe Ruger Vaqueros have it. It looks blue with rainbow swirls thru it - best I can describe it.

·
32,785 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just found out the case hardened Raging Bulls were offered in limited numbers in 1999-2000.They were a blued cylinder and barrel with the frame case hardened(colored).The case hardened colors were reds and blues on the frame.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have one, scratch red, unless I've just come down colorblind. The case hardening is not very good which may be why they discontinued it. Very muted colors, muddy and boring.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Case hardening is a precise science. It's very easy to have inconsistent results. To me, the rifle in thre above picture is too bold. Some SA revolvers I've had in the past looked really nice with the case-hardening. I would never buy a Case hardened gun without seeing it in person first. There is just too much variability in the quality. This is true of most manufacturers, not just Taurus.

Todd

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
acerman said:
The 3 finishes offerd on the Raging Bull are: Blued, Stainless, and Case hardened.Anyone know what the case hardened is? Or, have a picture. ???
I have a bull w/ a clearly case hardened trigger and hammer. The frame maybe case hardened but I can't tell for sure. The model number would indicate that it is blued only. No "H" at the end which would mean case hardened. For the curious...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I think case hardening looks better on a rifle as there is more metal to treat, and it does vary manufacturer to manufacturer. Most originals will have lost their colour as it wears off.

The rifles below are top to bottom, .357 Remington rolling block by Pedersoli, .45 1873 by Chaparral Arms and .45 1885 falling block Low Wall by Uberti.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts