Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an article on the capabilities of 3 D printers that was very enlightening to me:
3D Printing is Way Scarier Than Plastic Guns

Here's a taste of what's in the article: "Plastic guns? Seriously. How about guns printed in steel, guns printed in carbon fiber, guns printed in, you name it – there’s a 3D printer that can print in the medium. In a world of 3D printers, there is no such thing as gun control – people who are so inclined will print all the guns and ammo they need – untraceable, no serial numbers, no markings about point of origin, no trade marks, nothing!"

Hope I'm not repeating "old news" but it sure is "new" to me!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Human tissue… that was definitely news…

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
They can also work with titanium. My father txted me Monday night about getting investors together and buying a $250k metal working 3d printer to manufacture as he put it, "toys that go boom". "ok dad, how much scotch have you had to drink?"

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
As an old guy who worked in engineering for 35+ years - - - - - it's coming. Talking with guy who knows metallurgy from a physcists standpoint, the metallic particle substances necessary to "spray" any kind of metal are less than a year from being on the market.

Will the government ban them? I don't think so. A trained gunsmith, using available machine tools can turn out a finished 1911 .45 - - - and many do. But you can't ban machine tools. The government will try to ban the "output" of them.

A few issues ago, Shotgun News carried an artilce on how to make your own AK-47 receiver out of sheet metal. (Most of them are just stampled sheet metal anyway). I don't have the skill set to do that, but any competent machinist could. Where you'd run afoul of the BATF is if you tried to sell it, since it would now be a classified element and would need a serial number and an FFL.

So I'm not worried about the govt banning 3D printers. That's at technology wave they can't stop. More concerned about how vigorously they try to check WHAT you use them to make.

The upside of the whole thing, as the article pointed out, is spare parts. Right now today, if you have a 1911 clone, or a Browning shotgun, Brownells' stocks everything. Try to buy a sear, trigger, or hammer for your Rossi or Taurus and you're out of luck. With these new printers, any spare part that has a detailed plan somewhere could be cobbled up quickly.

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
Human tissue… that was definitely news…
They're not exactly printing tissue. They're printing the scaffolding, which they then "seed" with human tissue, which goes on to cover the entire scaffold. IIRC, the scaffold material is biodegradable. The whole works is transplanted and the scaffolding gradually disappears as the new tissue settles down to work.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Basicly they are same as a cnc machine just watch american chopper and see all the things they put on the bikes right out of the cnc machine just scn it then cut it out or cust out molds then poup in material for high grade plastic or other polymers no way government could ban the equipment just have laws on sale of such products im sure all the pros such as spies and hit men get there weapons this way already

jhp

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Next thing you know, the gooberment will require a background check to purchase a 3D printer.
Sen. Schummer (sp?) is already working on it - seriously.

·
Registered
356 Posts
They're not exactly printing tissue. They're printing the scaffolding, which they then "seed" with human tissue, which goes on to cover the entire scaffold. IIRC, the scaffold material is biodegradable. The whole works is transplanted and the scaffolding gradually disappears as the new tissue settles down to work.
Could be the 21st century solution to male enhancement!;D

Reactions: whichfinger

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
Basicly they are same as a cnc machine just watch american chopper and see all the things they put on the bikes right out of the cnc machine just scn it then cut it out or cust out molds then poup in material for high grade plastic or other polymers no way government could ban the equipment just have laws on sale of such products im sure all the pros such as spies and hit men get there weapons this way already

jhp
Not the same. A CNC machine is a subtractive process. It removes everything that doesn't look like the part you need. 3D printers a additive. they add medium until the result looks like the part you need. Also, I think it's a little more complicated than simply scanning an item in 3D.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Not the same. A CNC machine is a subtractive process. It removes everything that doesn't look like the part you need. 3D printers a additive. they add medium until the result looks like the part you need. Also, I think it's a little more complicated than simply scanning an item in 3D.
I think his point was you can make "untraceable" guns easily with a CNC too. Not like 3D printing is doing the impossible. Not to mention a CNC machine is much cheaper than the 3d printers that print on metal mediums and such.
Its very easy to make a AR15 lower. You can buy 80% lowers and finish it at home with a drill press and have a evil rifle with no serial, no background history etc.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Next thing you know, the gooberment will require a background check to purchase a 3D printer.
The 'tards' are already working on a plan for that,when someone does this kind of stuff there must be a better way to put this on the web say,like some kind of disinformation code to throw them off and really make them look stupid to everyone,even a libtard.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
My point was there are already other technologies avalible to make an un registered handgun i just dont see the big deal about the 3d printer also with a 3d printer there are a lot of other things i could knock off and make lot more money than a pistol I guess we are all just sensative to any thing firearm related that gives the media another bone in the yard

jhp

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
The mentality is more along the lines of what Nicole Kidman said in the movie "the peacemaker". "I'm not afraid of someone who wants 10 nuclear bombs, but I'm scared to death of the guy who only wants one".

Reactions: vonzipper

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
They can also work with titanium. My father txted me Monday night about getting investors together and buying a $250k metal working 3d printer to manufacture as he put it, "toys that go boom". "ok dad, how much scotch have you had to drink?"
It's a good business model. Rent time on the machine and library of files

As an old guy who worked in engineering for 35+ years - - - - - it's coming. Talking with guy who knows metallurgy from a physcists standpoint, the metallic particle substances necessary to "spray" any kind of metal are less than a year from being on the market.

Will the government ban them? I don't think so. A trained gunsmith, using available machine tools can turn out a finished 1911 .45 - - - and many do. But you can't ban machine tools. The government will try to ban the "output" of them.

You may be out of touch on the tech front. You can buy 3d metal printers NOW to print stuff with 20 micron tolerances. Just takes a million $ and change.

DMLS - Direct Metal Laser Sintering | Services

1 - 15 of 15 Posts