Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody have experience with or own a carry type 1911 just kinda curios about themI personally have never picked one up let alone shot one Thanks

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
My newest Carry pistol is a 1911 Thrasher, 3.1" barrel in 9mm by Iver Johnson. It is at the top of the weight class for CCW. Extremely easy to shoot, mimimal recoil, and has cycled everything I have fed it without fail. My PD round is Speer Gold Do 124gr. LE and the gun has no issues with it. Accuracy for me was a problem at first, but I'm now good for 3" group at 7 yds.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I have a Thrasher and a RIA TACT II as well as a few others. They all work well and most of them are bushingless with a bull barrel. Most of mine are 9mm, but the Regent is .45.

For the most part, they work well. The Thrasher and RIA 1911 CS Tact II have been flawless. The Thrasher had a badly machined extractor and was new in box, but I fixed it rather than send it back. It's been the fun one to carry and still probably weighs more than my G19.

The Regent needed a little break in, and has worked very well once broke in.

They are still basic 1911 like and uses the same parts.

Maloy

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog.../Umarex+Regent+R350CR+1911+Compact+45ACP+Blue

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...and+Armory+51643+TAC+1911+Compact+8+1+9mm+3.5

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...er+Johnson+1911A1+Thrasher+Matte+8+1+9mm+3.12

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,241 Posts
I rely on a 9mm Colt Defender, think of oso's above, except all Stainless and rotated 180º :D

It has been flawless

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
I think I am going to get a.........Wait for it........... PT1911 Officers model, have not decided yet
but will post if I do.

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I have been known to conceal carry my 5" PT1911.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Not sure what you are asking for -- recommendations as to which one, a general commentary on commander/officer-sized 1911s, or comments about carrying a 1911.

Sig Sauer 1911 UC. No problems with it (would anyone say, "Yes, I carry a XXX -- a great shooter when it doesn't stovepipe"?). Had to do some molding work to get the holster the way I wanted it because Sigs have a slide profile that's slightly different from most 1911s.

Of course you're going to get a bit more felt recoil since you're running a lighter gun, and more muzzle flip since the muzzle weight isn't as far forward. Your detailed accuracy will be affected by the shorter sight plane, but at the distances you are most likely to use a concealed weapon it really doesn't matter, and the sights that would serve you best on a concealed weapon aren't the best for bulls-eye marksmanship, either.

If you are comfortable with 1911s, the compact 1911s are fine. If you are used to carrying a poly gun with no thumb safety, it would be wise to make sure you are fine with sweeping that safety off as part of a draw under pressure. 1911 single action triggers are somewhat less forgiving of errors in trigger discipline than the striker-fired pistols, also.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I've had a Colt Officer's Model and a Springer, both in .45ACP. Both were "picky eaters," so I let them go. My EMP ran flawlessly. I concluded, with my limited experience, that the 9mm was likely more adaptable to the format.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I carried a Colt Lightweight Commander for years and never had an issue with it until it was stolen. Went for for years wanting to replace with another but couldn't find one I could afford do I finally bought a Para Ordinance LTC. I really like this gun and will start carrying it again a in the next month or so. Only 3 inch I owned was Detonics but it was just a little too small for me.

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
I have 3 carry design 1911's.
an ATI in Defender size (3.18 inch barrel), a Para LTC (4.25 inch barrel) Commander alloy frame, and a Springfield micro compact Officer size (3.50 inch barrel) alloy frame.
I typically carry the Springfield if carrying a 1911 as its sinfully light for a 1911, along with that comes of course muzzle blast, muzzle rise and felt recoil.
the Para LTC is likely my favorite carry as its good balance of firepower(capacity) lightweight, accuracy and ease of carry.
all mine run fine, I do tend to lean to 185-200 grain ammo in these lighter shorter weapons to increase muzzle velocity and reduce recoil..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I carried a full size Colt 1911 in 45cal. for many years and have stepped down to a Colt Defender in 45cal due to body size changes that prevent the carry of the Colt 1911. I really like the Defender, but it takes a little getting use to at first.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a pair of Sig 1911 Fastback Emperor Scorpion Carry/357Sig pistols. I carry them often.
I also have a pair of S&W Commander-size 1911s that I carry.
And finally I have a Colt Commander/9mm.

I have used 1911-pattern guns since 1970 and am very comfortable with them. M1911s were the first pistols I was trained to use.

If you haven't been trained to use them, changing from striker-fired guns or DA/SA requires training and practice.

Quality brands make excellent arms for protection, competition and plinking. You might read or hear a lot of stories about everything from reliability issues to ammo pickiness to fragility. I've put thousands of rounds through the ones I listed and a couple dozen others I bought or that were issued to me. I never experienced a failure due to anything except magazines, and those were extremely rare.

When Super Vel made hollow-point ammo in the '70s we adopted it whole-heartedly. In as-issued military M1911s we never experienced a problem. I've fired thousands of Speer "Flying Ashtray" bullets through mine with nary a problem.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the positive feed back I've been wanting a commander but it is only 3/4 of an inch shorter than my full sized 1911's but I think the 3.5 inch is as short as I want to go I also realize that accuracy is not that big of an. Issue at the distances we are talking about I am carrying a four inch barrel in a PT 840 right now but I would like to change to the 1911
Thanks for all the help it sounds like a positive move when I get the money

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Thanks for the positive feed back I've been wanting a commander but it is only 3/4 of an inch shorter than my full sized 1911's but I think the 3.5 inch is as short as I want to go I also realize that accuracy is not that big of an. Issue at the distances we are talking about I am carrying a four inch barrel in a PT 840 right now but I would like to change to the 1911
Thanks for all the help it sounds like a positive move when I get the money

just a thought and reminder!
not only are the Officer and Defender shorter by about an inch or so over the commander but the grip is also shorter, this helps quite a bit with concealability if thats a concern.
that and them being flat weapons along with the flat clippy thangs its a jewel to carry.

Reactions: oso and bobbojama

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
That is a sweet little Colt Defender .45 ACP.:cool: OSO.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
22,975 Posts
I have always wanted a 3.5" or 3" 1911. I've had two, an ATI Titan and an American Classic Amigo. I really liked the features and build quality of the Amigo. But neither of them were reliable enough to carry. I'd like to try again now that I'm reloading.

I've read really good things about the Colt Defender.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
My winter carry is my old ( three digit SN ) and faithful ATI 1911 Commander size 1911, it eats anything and puts them where you point it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts