Taurus Firearm Forum banner

2nd Strike Capable?

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Adamwest436 
#1 ·
I just watched a video of the PT-111 G2 where the guys dry fires it in SA, then a long reset & a long DA pull & dry fires again. I had to watch again to see if I missed something. SA pistol with 2nd strike capability? I don't think anyone else makes a pistol like this. Am I missing something or does it really work this way?

#6 ·
By now it's gonna be a G2C but function the same. I lost this when I added the SAO trigger. It's a cool party trick if you are getting light strikes but folks remedy it by taking the striker & guide out and getting in there with a Q Tip like object. Be careful, you may end up buying one just because it shoots and doesn't cost much.

#13 ·
Yep, I regularly pop the striker channel backplate off and inspect and clean the striker channel, on all my striker guns.

Seems rare that it would affect it, hut it can, so I like to keep it maintained. 🙂

Never have needed 2nd strike, here, either. Always goes bang. 🙂

#15 ·
Jim, The G2/G2C/G2S style guns all have the same trigger. The mechanical action is different, but from an end user perspective it works just like an SA/DA hammer fired gun with a hidden hammer that you cant access. This basically means that the gun functions as an SA during all normal use, but if the trigger action is released without the slide working, IE: hit a bad round or dry fired it, it will go into DA mode.

The substantial downside of it over a hidden hammer SA/DA is that the double action isnt the same sear as the single action, and the DA sear is actually forward of the SA sear inside the gun, so the DA does not compress the striker spring as hard as the SA, which means the DA strikes the round softer than the SA does. Considering that a DA restrike is only really useful for retrying a light printer strike, hitting it less hard the second time seems a bit silly to me.

#18 ·
Yeah, before I knew how important it is, I never really bothered. Now, my normal field strip cleaning usually consists of popping that backplate off the slide to inspect and Q-tip the striker channel. It's so easy once you've added it to your cleaning regimen a couple of times.

#19 ·
Pretty much any SADA pistol has double strike capability. (I'd say all, but there's probably one out there somewhere that would make a liar out of me.)
Some that do: CZ-75, PT92, Beretta 92, Beretta PX4 Storm, SIG 226/229. It's probably rarer in striker fired pistols.

Reactions: pegasus
#20 ·
Yea, with hammer fired guns SA/DA has a pretty standard meaning, with striker fired guns what SA and DA mean are all over the map. I have seen the G2C listed as SAO and DAO when I would call it striker fired SA/DA or SA with restrike, my wife has a "DAO" striker fired Beretta Nano, which you would think would have restrike since it is DAO right? But nope, her "DAO" Nano has no restrike.

#22 · (Edited)
Clear thinking. If you are using the gun for self defense you don't want to waste time trying to fire a round that didn't fire in the first time with a lighter strike. If the gun misfires, rack it and get back to shooting.
I don't think it actually plays out that way (not all of the time, at least). I had a 24/7 G2 That would have a light strike 1 in about every 30 shots. The second strike worked every time.

#25 ·
I thought the DA/SA trigger was a great idea, but then I changed my mind. I had some bad rounds that misfired so I pulled the trigger a couple of times more with no reaction. I had to eject the rounds by pulling the slide back. No big deal, I thought. But then again, with the double action, the firing pin does not retract as far as with SA, so it hits the round with less energy then in DA. Again, not a big deal, unless you use gun for self defense. In that case I don't want to waste time pulling the trigger on a misfire. Being SA, if you have a misfire you just rack a new round. To disable the DA mode I inserted a spacer in front of the trigger bar sear, next to the ejector. I shaped a piece of metal and glued it in place. So far so good. This also holds the trigger back a little so I have a shorter pull. Time will tell if this works out, but it is working so far.

#27 ·
When I had the misfires, I did pull the trigger again, and again and again. Then I racked an other bullet in the chamber and fired. Now if I have a misfire and pull the trigger and get the misfire again, then I will have to rack the slide which takes more time. If I don't have both hands available and have a misfire again and again and again and it still misfires, I will beat the perpetrator with the gun.
What I said before, when I had the misfires, no matter how many times I pulled the trigger, the bullet would not fire. I have a choice to pull the trigger a second time and if it doesn't fire again I will have to rack it. It is quicker to just rack the slide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.