Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched a video of the PT-111 G2 where the guys dry fires it in SA, then a long reset & a long DA pull & dry fires again. I had to watch again to see if I missed something. SA pistol with 2nd strike capability? I don't think anyone else makes a pistol like this. Am I missing something or does it really work this way?

·
23,208 Posts
Yep; ten seconds dry firing will prove it for you. The 700 series will do this too. Possibly others, but I don't know from personal experience.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. Will see if my local range rents these, I'm curious now.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Interesting. Will see if my local range rents these, I'm curious now.
By now it's gonna be a G2C but function the same. I lost this when I added the SAO trigger. It's a cool party trick if you are getting light strikes but folks remedy it by taking the striker & guide out and getting in there with a Q Tip like object. Be careful, you may end up buying one just because it shoots and doesn't cost much.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Yep; ten seconds dry firing will prove it for you. The 700 series will do this too. Possibly others, but I don't know from personal experience.
Yup the 709 does it also.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What ammo were you using?
The first box I shot was Herter’s 115 FMJ, then 2 boxes of S&B 115 FMJ, a box of Winchester NATO then 50-100 hollow points, DoubleTap and Federal HST 124’s. The light primer strikes occurred with Herter’s and the S&B. Failure to Eject was the NATO. No issues with the hot hollowpoints.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The first box I shot was Herter’s 115 FMJ, then 2 boxes of S&B 115 FMJ, a box of Winchester NATO then 50-100 hollow points, DoubleTap and Federal HST 124’s. The light primer strikes occurred with Herter’s and the S&B. Failure to Eject was the NATO. No issues with the hot hollowpoints.
Right after I hit send I was like NATO is somewhere on that list LOL. My other question I forgot to ask before prematurely hitting "Post Quick Reply" is have you ever cleaned the striker channel out before with a Q Tip? Even when cleaning stuff migrates down there, with the SS striker guide it really shows you how quick it gather stuff in there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Right after I hit send I was like NATO is somewhere on that list LOL. My other question I forgot to ask before prematurely hitting "Post Quick Reply" is have you ever cleaned the striker channel out before with a Q Tip? Even when cleaning stuff migrates down there, with the SS striker guide it really shows you how quick it gather stuff in there.
No I haven’t and thanks for mentioning that. I’ve looked at some videos and will do that before I take it back out to shoot again.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yep, I regularly pop the striker channel backplate off and inspect and clean the striker channel, on all my striker guns.

Seems rare that it would affect it, hut it can, so I like to keep it maintained. 🙂

Never have needed 2nd strike, here, either. Always goes bang. 🙂

·
Vendor
153 Posts
Jim, The G2/G2C/G2S style guns all have the same trigger. The mechanical action is different, but from an end user perspective it works just like an SA/DA hammer fired gun with a hidden hammer that you cant access. This basically means that the gun functions as an SA during all normal use, but if the trigger action is released without the slide working, IE: hit a bad round or dry fired it, it will go into DA mode.

The substantial downside of it over a hidden hammer SA/DA is that the double action isnt the same sear as the single action, and the DA sear is actually forward of the SA sear inside the gun, so the DA does not compress the striker spring as hard as the SA, which means the DA strikes the round softer than the SA does. Considering that a DA restrike is only really useful for retrying a light printer strike, hitting it less hard the second time seems a bit silly to me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah, before I knew how important it is, I never really bothered. Now, my normal field strip cleaning usually consists of popping that backplate off the slide to inspect and Q-tip the striker channel. It's so easy once you've added it to your cleaning regimen a couple of times.

·
Registered
28,100 Posts
Pretty much any SADA pistol has double strike capability. (I'd say all, but there's probably one out there somewhere that would make a liar out of me.)
Some that do: CZ-75, PT92, Beretta 92, Beretta PX4 Storm, SIG 226/229. It's probably rarer in striker fired pistols.

Reactions: pegasus

·
Vendor
153 Posts
Yea, with hammer fired guns SA/DA has a pretty standard meaning, with striker fired guns what SA and DA mean are all over the map. I have seen the G2C listed as SAO and DAO when I would call it striker fired SA/DA or SA with restrike, my wife has a "DAO" striker fired Beretta Nano, which you would think would have restrike since it is DAO right? But nope, her "DAO" Nano has no restrike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts