Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you read a Taurus ad in a gun magazine referring to the 2nd strike capabilities of the 24/7 and Millenium Pro series they state "giving you a life-saving second chance to ignite a failed primer". I find this quite disturbing since the majority of the time that second strike will not work. In the military and LE you are trained to cycle the slide to get that "dud" round out of the chamber and a fresh one in as quickly as possible. I say just get that round out of there and don't rely on the second strike. Perspectives on this topic would be greatly appreciated. I believe Taurus is running this angle in newer ads for the 24/7 OSS within the past few months.

I put this topic in factory loads but you might want to move it to the 24/7 section.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I personally have not had any military or LE training (tried the military but physical problems kept me out) and so my instinct in stressful situations might be to keep pulling the trigger (hope to never find out). I think this is where the sa/da trigger might come in handy

·
Registered
54 Posts
I practice really "pouring the lead on" so chances are I'd do it without noticing.

However, if I do notice, I'll pause squeezing the trigger just long enough to rack the slide.

Josh <><

·
Registered
74 Posts
I own a 24/7 Pro .45acp. I have had maybe 5 FTF's. Everyone one of them has gone bang with a second pull of the trigger.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I started shooting long before guru's (many are friends of mine) started preaching the "Tap, Rack, and Bang" theory... I've also had considerable more training then the average person. Can you see a reason not to have the option of second strike capabilities? I mean it doesn't hurt anything by having it and you don't have to use it. Regardless of doing a Tap, Rack, and Bang if it doesn't go boom.

The only people I've seen that make an issue with this are those that don't like Taurus or don't like Taurus as much as what they shoot. If you read the gun rags, you will notice the writers that talk down about it rarely review Taurus products or don't have much praise for them anyway.

In a recent issue of Guns&Ammo "Combat Tactics" that claimed the 24/7 OSS to be the "Greatest Combat Pistol that never was), simply because of the quality of the firearm and the cancellation of the JointStirkeForce program, even though they later made lite of the double action ability in a later issue by another writer.

I am all for it, if nothing else because it annoys people that mine have and theirs don't ;)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no problems with Taurus firearms whatsoever. In fact, I own four and am a huge proponent of them when negative attacks are made against them. I own a PT145 Pro and a 24/7 Pro 40 cal. In no way am I blasting Taurus for putting this feature in their guns, I'm just saying with my training I would not even use the feature.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I am sorry if you thought I was implying you as someone that had a problem with it, wasn't what I meant. One of the problems of not being able to see people face to face when chatting :)

I would say if your trained to tap. rack, bang... do it. If not learn it and use both as the situation requires.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Put me down under "its a nice feature but I'm not likely to use it by choice". I'll treat the "click" as a problem and deal with it rather than hope that it goes bang on the second try and lose part of a second that I might need real bad very quickly...

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I am another with no LE training....Every time I have had to use second strike with my Sig P229, it has gone "Bang" - so I'm going to use it before going to plan B...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You know its funny, I hear a lot of people that question that feature on the new Taurus pistols say that "most of the time a round will not go off even on a 2nd try" but In my limited (compared to some) 20 years of shooting I have had about 80% go bang on try number 2 ;)

I know Im not just the luckiest SOB on the planet either or I would have hit the lotto by now :bang:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts