Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 357 mag S&W 640 pro on order – thinking ahead – next revolver I want a Taurus.

Of the following – which one would you recommend? (Please stick with the following – I know many other choices out there but for now these are the only ones I want to consider) Thanks in advance…

MODEL 617 .357 MAG. REVOLVER
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

MODEL 605 .357 MAG. REVOLVER IN STAINLESS STEEL

TRACKER MODEL 627 .357 MAG. REVOLVER

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Without a doubt the 605. Have one and love it.

Reactions: ArmyCop

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
I'm kinda' itchin' for a 627 in 6 1/2". I have a Tracker 970 in that length and love the weight and balance and accuracy - but the first thing I did was trade out those squishy grips!;)

I just saw your other post regarding input on a revolver to carry concealed - sorry I didn't see it befoe I wrote the above. We can't carry concealed here in Maryland so the consideration never crossed my mind!

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd go with the 605, but the weight factor has allot to do with it for me. If weight isn't a issue then the 617 would be my preferred choice.
I have a recently acquired M455 (45acp) and love it but still trying to find the right holster to distribute the weight.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My vote is for the M605. A "range gun" it ain't...but as a defensive tool it is a real winner!

...and dang if it ain't about the "purdiest" little revolver a person could ask for! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I would say the 605

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
What are your plans for the 640 and for the second revolver? Conceal carry, trail/backpacking, hunting?

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Since you are getting a small frame 640. I would go with the larger 627. BTW I have a 3" 605 and love it.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I've got the Taurus 617 and it is a fine gun! It is solid as a rock (a bit on the heavy side
for a snubbie) but it will handle any .357 Magnum load you put through it and having a
seven round capacity isn't a bad thing to have.

·
Registered
24,850 Posts
Have 357 mag S&W 640 pro on order – thinking ahead – next revolver I want a Taurus.

Of the following – which one would you recommend? (Please stick with the following – I know many other choices out there but for now these are the only ones I want to consider) Thanks in advance…

MODEL 617 .357 MAG. REVOLVER

MODEL 605 .357 MAG. REVOLVER IN STAINLESS STEEL

TRACKER MODEL 627 .357 MAG. REVOLVER
I have a 627 and I love it. Very accurate.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
My vote is for the M605. A "range gun" it ain't...but as a defensive tool it is a real winner!

...and dang if it ain't about the "purdiest" little revolver a person could ask for! :)
Have to agree MPG, I have a 605, but it is all blued (I prefer blued over SS, less "flash factor"). Defensively........WOW!:)
:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is a tough one! I'll also let my bias show and say +1 for the 605SS-2. I bought the SS one last year and liked it SO much, I bought a blued (black) one to keep the SS one company in the safe! :D Other than the "Judge", it was my first revolver. Now I find myself carrying it the most -- next to my Glock 26. Unless you want to use it for huntin', I think you can't go wrong with the 38/357 605.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I have both the 605 and the 617. As you already have a 5 shot S&W I would say go for the gusto & get a 617!!!!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
As stated previously, what will you use the second revolver for?

As much as I like the 605 and 617(I own a 617), you already have the snubbie role covered with the 640.

So I'd go with the 627 in what ever length barrel you desire. The 6" & 8" versions allow you to install a scope/RedDot for longer-range work.

Sorry to digress, but you really could expand you research to some other Taurus' models compatible ammo-wise with your 640: either the a model 66 7-shot or a model 608 8-shot. Both these models have nicer factory trigger pulls than the models you've mentioned, especially the 608.

But be careful! This "I NEED just one more 357 in this frame-size or that barrel length" can lead to a wonderful but expensive disease. I have it, as seen below.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Choice? That depends on it's mission. You'll have a a 5-shot pocket rocket with the Smith m640. Will this be a back-up or alternative carry for the S&W? If so, the m605 would be by choice. I keep stout .38 specials in mine. It is currently my most carried companion.
If the 2nd is for the nightstand and trail, I'd go for the m627 in 4 inch barrel.
If it's for the range and / or hunting, I'd opt for the m627 in 6 1/2 inch barrel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts