Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had another failure today on my pt-111 (3rd gen). Same as last time, shell caught under the slide.
Stupid me didn't mark the mag the first time or today. One of the mags has a loose cartridge when full. After I load the mag full one cartridge shakes around (is loose)if you shake it. After I tap the mag it tightens up but is still loose(can hear it moving). I think it's the 6th shell from the bottom, which makes sense since it has failed about in the middle of the mag both times. Also both times I didn't tap the mag after loading.

Anyone else have this problem?
I'm going to call taurus tomorrow and see what they say about it. I hope it's just the mag. All else fails I guess I'll send it to Miami.

Still awaiting replacement sights that won't break my wallet. I can't hit point of aim at 7 yrds even when benching it. I'm alot better with it at 10-15'. Maybe it's just me, being new and all, but I'm deadly with my buddy's s&w 15, It's got 3/4-1" more barrel and a damn fine sa trigger though. I just really hate the straight 8's. I want to see the poi when I pull the trigger. It's making me think twice about the ss pt1911 that I've been planning/saving for as my next big purchase if they ever come out. Or maybe the mil-pro is a close range gun and my expectations are too high.

ok done with my rant.
Thanks
Joe

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Joe... check the smithing section on sights. The problem isn't getting sights... any gun smith can fit sights on the Taurus dovetails... or open them to standard... it's $150 sights on a $300 gun. The cheapest option is to have the front sight replaced with a fiber optic ($30) at .150 height. It will put you dead on. The fiber optic front dominates the sight picture so the rear Heinie isn't frustrating.

And yea... it's the mag! Have you disassembled and cleaned it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really have a problem with the single dot rear, I hate having to cover what I'm shooting at with the front sight. I'll check into that front sight replacement, $30 isn't too bad.

Mags were disassembled and throughly cleaned after last shoot. So no problems there. This maybe a dumb question, but should mags be oiled? I never have lubed them in fear of ammo contamination. When I took them apart (after 560 rounds in less than 60 days since purchase) the spring had a light coat that I assumed for for rust protection.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
84 Posts
Joe,
I am with you on the Heine sights. Since Taurus has put these on most the firearms I am interested in buying, I will probably buy another brand with sights I like better. I have spoke with a number of folks who say the same thing. It's a shame really because I want to like those sights but no matter how I adjust, grip, whatever, they don't shoot on target. Now my PT92, I am very accurate with but it has the traditional sights. Hell, I am almost more accurate with my P3AT than my PT140MilPro.

·
Registered
80 Posts
kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater if you get another brand because of a cheap set of sights.

Wilson cobat has a set of sights that you can put on with a little minor tightenign of the dovetail (35 dollars for the set) not bad to get 3 dot sights that hit point of aim. You could buy just the front which is shorter and will probably fix your problem. With a trijicon insert the front is like 40 dollars.

·
Registered
174 Posts
guys, the cheapest fix for the heine sights is what i have done w/ both my 24/7 and pt140, i filed the front sight right down to the half way point of the front dot. then blackened everything out w/ a paint marker and i shoot it like a standard set of sights. i realize not everyone is willing to take a file to a brand new gun, but i had the file in my pocket when i walked out on the range w/ an unfired pt140. it is cheap and it works.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Check the smithing section on the Wilson Combat... a simple 3 dot set is listed at $34.50

·
Registered
80 Posts
Midway will sell it to you a little cheaper than direct from Wilson. You can also get a tritium fron alone and put it with your heinie rear. That should take care of your low point of aim. The tritium front is about 40 dollars. Not much higher than the Williams firesight and is a true night sight.

·
32,616 Posts
Oiling can cause dirt and debris to collect though if done with a lightly oily rag the parts are rubbed down. I use the silicone or silicon impregnated clothes and rub my magazine parts down with them. That way there is no oil and yet a moisture resistant coating is left behind. I do not touch the plastic followers with any petrochem type of liquid. Even on a rag as the plastic follower can be damaged by the petroleum derivative. I do wipe the follower with a clean rag to get and build up, if any.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone like the heinies? Maybe we should start a petition to taurus to use standard sights.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I like them!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
3rd fail today, mag is now marked. I called taurus after the last fail and the lady was less than helpfull. All she had to offer were automated responses which were try different ammo or send the gun in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmmm

Just wondering what kind of ammo are you using ?? My PT111 has digested WWB 115 and Remington 115 JHP without a glitch. BTW I like the Heinie sights this is a self defense gun not a target gun once you get used to the sight picture I can't really think of anything else out there where you can aquire a sight picture as quickly unless you go with a premieum fiber optic or night sight the Heinies provide good combat accuracy. Remember the shorter the pistol the less distance between the sights and the less accurate it will be that might explain why a friends gun is more accutate. Lastly my PT 140 had a few FTF on the first few mags but as it broke it they disappeared and its been flawless the last 700 rounds. On either of my Mil Pros the only functioning problem I have had in the last 1000 rounds was me inadvertently hitting the mag release button with my thumb so watch out for that too it's easy to do. A usefull check might be to take the suspect mag out of your next firing rotation and see if that eliminates the problem.

·
32,616 Posts
z3406. You are on the right track. Breaking in means just that. Every new gun can take 200 or more rounds for this chore. Kinks and little bugs will show up and then things generally smooth out. New shooters and new owners have to get used to idiosyncrasies of any gun or tool. For example, my first runs through with 5 to 10 rounds each with my PT111 Mil/pro did have FTE and FTF troubles. A magazine did not seat all the way. There were a few stoppages in the first few magazines as well.After 100 to 200 rounds had gone down range there were no more problems. The gun has to set in just like engines on a car have to be broken in gradually and not taken out and run full bore at first.Break in periods allow the gun to get to its performance level that needs to be reached. People forget this and expect perfect function and no problems because " it is new and should have no troubles". Guns are mechanical tools that have parts that need to wear in and then will mesh properly. How many new shooters have had practical experience beyond what they read, are self taught, or have little experience. I was taught to take things gradually and have had enough good mentors and teachers to augment my knowledge. Without them things would be much harder. Reading books by qualified personnel in their respective fields helped as well. Breaking in guns may take several brands of different ammo to see what works best for function and accuracy. This all takes work, time, and dedication. Anything else will cause heartache and trouble. This is seen in a lot of threads here. How many newbies here know how to break the gun in properly? Most new members to shooting are willing to learn and get the experience as is noted in their posts. Even the old vets can learn a thing or two and most are willing to do that. I am not dumping on anyone here. Knowledge and experience do not come cheap or without some minor sacrifice on the users part. This may be preaching to the choir, but some members need to be made aware of this. As has been posted elsewhere, the sight can be used as is using a standard sight picture and ignore the dots or follow other fixes that have been posted in this thread or elsewhere in gunsmithing as well as other threads on the sights. Otherwise whining is not going to solve ths issue and is childish and immature at best. Breaking in procedures can be followed or the factory return for Taurus to inspect the gun can be followed. A lot of so called problems can be traced to the user and or to lack of knowledge and experience. Had a 669 revolver that I popped the adjustable sight off by unscrewing the adjustments too far in my younger days. Klutzy thing to do. Taurus didn't give me any guff and replaced the steel ball bearing that was lost and fixed the problem. No charge. Any gun maker gets many of the user induced or lack of knowledge problems with returned guns and fix them without charge. All the companies have gone on record in the magazines and have said so. They had the numbers at the time to back it up. These companies did not call the user out on this, fixed the problem, might even tell the owner a few things, and never looked back. So, ignoring facts of life and fixes, dedication to breaking in a gun, and expecting to put in little effort can be the signs of immaturity and self aggrandizement. Could be just inexperience speaking and nothing more. It is up to the individual to act and take the proper course of action. Otherwise it is complaining for the sake of it if proper steps are not taken. I had and have had to get experience and learn the hard way at times. Luckily good mentors and common sense won out. There are many members here with common sense, wisdom, and maturity. You can do things the easy common sense way. Or the hard, head bang against the walll way. Choice is your folks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wwb 115 and rem 115 jhp just like you, about 500/200. The fails all occurred with the wwb, all the fails were after 500 rounds (maybe the first one was a few short of 500)

·
32,616 Posts
NewGuy. Sounds like a different brand of practice ammo is in order. Or, stick with the Remington or Remington UMC. Several types could be tried. Black Hills has remanufactured ammo of decent quality. SilverBear,GoldenBear, or Brownbear Russian ammo might work as well. These are steel cased ammo, but have either nickel,brass, or other coatings that aid function and will not abrade the parts the case comes into contact with in the gun. My PT111 will even digests Blazer ammo. It may take a little experimenting with a box or two. Then when you find a type you like get as much of that lot as feasibly possible. Even different batches of quality ammo can vary in performance. All powders have a minor variation from batch to batch when manufactured in bulk. 124 grain ammo might take care of the problem. This weight is mentioned in the manual. Some smaller defense pistols were designed or function better with the 124 grain loads.Magazines and primers that might be to hard are a sources of trouble for any pistol. The firing pin channel might need cleaning.Weak firing pins or the firing pin not coming out far enough can cause problems also. One thing at a time to check. JHPs of certain designs some times have generous hollowpoint cavities that can cause hang ups, even if it is brief, that can cause jams. Switching over to a JHP that has a narrower hollowpoint profile may help functioning. So there are a number of reasons, all frustrating as heck to check out. Using the process of elimination will get you to the root of the cause.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's failing to feed the round into the chamber. I'm going leave this mag out next time I shoot and see what happens. I clean this gun like new every time I shoot it, firing pin channel included.

Now that grain has been mentioned that does make me think. I've saved the failed rounds, I'll post some pics of the cases. The last time the slide did catch the round a little further back than the previous 2.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

·
32,616 Posts
NewGuy. Just to make things worse, when a cartridge goes through the action of semi-autos bullet set back can happen. Since the action of chambering from the mag to the chamber is a violent act bullets can be pushed in further back into the case or even distort the brass or bullet itself. This can cause some of the problems if the crimp on the bullet isn't tight. It can cause malfunctions because the whole round is too short to feed right. This is more an ammo thing than mechanical. Once a round is chambered and not fired it is recommended that the round be used for practice rather than for real world defense because of just this sort of thing. It could be one round that has this problem or that particular batch has loose crimps. Mass produced ammo can have these problems. How often random rounds are inspected on the assembly line is ambigous at best since we do not know the criterea of the manufacturer. Winchester contracts others to manufacture their ammo. Hodgdon Powder for example bought them out or at least the rights to WInchester ammo. I bought extra magazines until there are at least 6 to 8 spares. Even budgeted for this. Got them one or two at a time over most of the year. Then the rotation starts. Several have ammo in them for a month or so and then are rotated so they get a rest as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cimmaron you wrote "The cheapest option is to have the front sight replaced with a fiber optic ($30) at .150 height. It will put you dead on. The fiber optic front dominates the sight picture so the rear Heinie isn't frustrating." I agree with this possibility but it the front dovetail standard and will the 0.15 height put this at the 6 o clock position on will I have to aim center target? At what distance?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts