Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new SS 24/7 Pro 9mm this past Saturday. I brought it home and cleaned it. Took it to the range today and shot off 125+ rounds without a single problem or complaint. ;D Then, sometime during the next magazine, I fired off around 4 rounds and the next trigger pull yielded what appeared to be an automatic mode. :???: :???: 4 rounds, one right after another in the middle of the magazine. It did NOT empty the mag...just about 4 rounds. I switched to the other mag and it did the same thing.

It's kind of a scary feeling when one is not expecting 4 shots in less than a second. :eek:

So, I packed it up, came home and got on here to see if any of you knowledgeable people can help me out here. Anyone else have this kind of an issue?

Slaton

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
you must have switched it to auto.there is a switch on the bottom that says semi of full auto.just kidding.i have 2 and that has never happened to me.let the pros chime in

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
This is the first I have ever heard of this type of malfunction. Are you sure you don't have a Glock 18? :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep! No Glock owners in this house. As far as I know anyway! LOL I did a bunch of searching on this forum and didn't come up with anything. Got a call into Taurus.

I'm a little disappointed as this is the only handgun I own and don't have the money to go purchase a new one while this one is down. Also the fact that I go take my CCL on April 29th. Probably gonna have to borrow one for the class. :'(

·
Registered
53 Posts
The sear has to engage the firing pin when the slide returns back. If it doesn't catch the firing pin, it(FP) can continue to move forward and hit the primer of the new round. Still I don't understand how that would be possible. May be a new round gets chambered and the slide comes to a stop. The firing pin which is free, continues to move forward due to momentum and hits the newly chambered round. The only way this is possible if the trigger bar and the sear have not returned to their normal position. Is my analysis correct?

Is quality control slipping at Taurus? I heard a story about a woman who cut her lip because the slide cap(1.15) flew off and landed on her lips. I trying to locate the source of this.

Edit:
Is this a timing issue?
Sear lags behind. Trigger bar on time -> Reverts to DA
Sear on time. Trigger bar lags behind -> No difference
Sear lags behind. Trigger bar lags behind -> Full auto

·
Administrator
35,508 Posts
In light of some other posts on this site, I think my primary concern would be that the BATF might show up at my door and arrest me for firing off an automatic weapon........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, at least I have some possible good news concerning what happened today. I was the only one shooting at the time. No one else was even in the range at all. Immediately after this happened (on the second mag, as I thought the first time it was something I did, not the pistol), I dropped the mag and ejected the chambered round. 30 seconds later, one of the guys that works there came in and asked what it was that I was shooting. I showed him and he asked how long I had owned the gun. I told him it was purchased on Sat. and this was the first day it had been fired. As I was the only one in there at the time and the guy that heard it and came in was/is a retired police officer, I think I might be ok. He seemed to understand and even told me about it happening to him once with an old .45 of his. He just told me to get in touch with Taurus and see what they want to do about it.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Yeah send it back to Miami. I don't want to see another story about a guy with a malfunctioning gun possibly going to prison.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
Yeah send it back to Miami. I don't want to see another story about a guy with a malfunctioning gun possibly going to prison.
+1 make sure you send a detailed letter with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Contacted Taurus this morning. Shipping back sometime today (when Fed Ex arrives). Detailed letter enclosed in case. Unfortunately, they said the turn around time would be 6 weeks or better. :(

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
let us know what you find out.have you tried to return it to where you bought it from?one of my 24/7 had a light primer strike and the shop just replaced it for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No I didn't try to take it back to the dealer. When I made the purchase, it was the last one they had and they had also told me that if there were problems it would be better for me to deal with directly Taurus than to have them deal with Taurus. They told me that they had some pearl handle grips ordered from Taurus for about 3 months now and still haven't received them. They seemed to think that Taurus is quicker when it comes to a direct customer than from a customer through a dealer.

Hopefully, I'll be posting back soon with an answer to this issue.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had a humorous "was that full auto :eek:?" occurrence last time I was shooting that had my buddy and me scratching our heads. One shot, two holes, and I didn't notice anything unusual about the recoil, or sound. I was shooting a reactive target and one hole was about half an inch directly above the other. We slid the target back up and stared at it, dumbfounded. Upon closer examination, I remembered that I had refreshed the target with pasters...and realized the shot had actually pulled one of them (poorly adhered) through the paper, revealing a shot from my previous magazine.

During those 30 seconds it took me to figure out what happened, I was imagining myself having to send the gun to Taurus to figure out what happened. I knew this has happened with some 1911s (not necessarily Taurus) but had never heard of it with 24/7s. I was surprised to see this happening to you. Hope Taurus figures it out and returns it soon. I know it's a bummer to be without it for 6 weeks. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Slaton said:
Yep! No Glock owners in this house. As far as I know anyway! LOL I did a bunch of searching on this forum and didn't come up with anything. Got a call into Taurus.

I'm a little disappointed as this is the only handgun I own and don't have the money to go purchase a new one while this one is down. Also the fact that I go take my CCL on April 29th. Probably gonna have to borrow one for the class. :'(
I definitely wouldn't show up at class with a full-auto Taurus.

Where are you taking your class in Tulsa? I took mine at Tulsa Red Castle a couple months ago. Still waiting to hear about my CCW.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My full auto Taurus is in Miami, FL as of 8:48am yesterday. Ain't no way I would show up with that thing. LOL

Taking my class at Tulsa Firearms. Funny, that's where I found out the 9 had an INTERMITTENT full auto mode. That was enough to freak me out as well as the guy working the range. :) Believe you me, I wasted no time in dropping the magazine outta there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love my 24/7 9mm, but having to wait at least 6 weeks (especially for this problem, and especially for a new pistol) is really ridiculous.

Taurus needs to address these issues of wait time.

Best of luck to you on this issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts