Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandson has a birthday coming up soon for Christmas I bought everything he will need to load here at gramps so I can help and keep an eye on him I'll get him a press and other needs as he gets more mature. Ive never loaded 243 rounds before. For bullets I got him Hornady v MAX 87 GR. BT .Or 87gr BTH.P I don't remember which at the moment.
Hopefully .I'll have him killing deer this year with his own bullets this fall. I was hoping for some tips from some of you who have had experience with the 243 I have yet to buy any powder for it but I do have H 4895 but no other rifle powders listed in my Hornady book I'm going to get him some powder for his birthday
Like always I do appreciate any and all help you can send my way

JEFF

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I loaded for several 243's over the years. I consistently got the closest grouping with IMR4895 but it was far from the highest velocity with the same bullet. Recoil was milder than with the slower burning powders that gave the highest velocity. I used all of them on Western Mule deer in the mountains and I found the tight grouping more useful than the higher velocities. Just my shooting ability.

·
Registered
36,928 Posts
I use to load a ggod bit of 243, it was one of my most accurate weapons/calibers.
I never did lot of hunting with it but when I did I used a 100 grain spire point, for paper shooting I used 85-87 grain boat tail HP.
I know that I used a IMR powder not sure if it was 4831 or 4895.
its a good lil caliber for young folks or ladies.
I have a 250-3000 Savage and once I got that the 243 was sold, the 250 kind of falls between the 243 and the 270 in power and distance, nice low recoil but handles slightly heavier projectiles better than the 243.
he should be happy with the results of the 243.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think once he kills a deer with a bullet that he's made it will be the BOOK that shares him. It will also be good to see how he can tighten his groups with form fitted cases with bullets that are made to fit his chamber I'm l looking forward to showing him. I'm still fairly new to loading pistol rounds but I started loading rifles in 1977 and was taught by a very good friend who passed away just about three years ago and with his help I built a 25/06 out of an old 98 mauser and it worked well 9 deer with 9 shots

1 - 5 of 5 Posts