Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking what if you had a problem with a 24/7 OSS and the gun had to be replaced instead of repaired. They haven't come out with the G2 OSS yet, I would have to wait cause I really like my OSS's. Just wondering what y'all think. Not trying to say they will, but I can't find anymore. Do you think they might have spare parts for several more years?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Thought the same myself

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Wasn't the OSS made for a big competition, like military? And from the 24/7 Long Slide? Should be a superior gun and Taurus geared up for a long run. What happened? Or am I misremembering again?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I sure hope they will have parts for a long time. I own a 9 and a 45.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I hope so, too. I own a 24/7 C DS .45 and an OSS .45, both share many internal parts and both are discontinued now.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am so sad, i have 1 LS and 1 OSS in .45 and I am not ready for the G2. Bre346 you are correct but I don't know what happened with the contract, so there may be several spares left. I have looked on the gun sites I trust and there are not many of any of the 24/7 regular or OSS, I have a friend that was thinking of buying the older model.
He's not very interested in the G2 either yet. Bud's gun shop doesn't hardly have anything.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I dont think I could part with mine its my pride and joy right now. Range video will be up soon I promise. :guns:

Taurusoss1.jpg taurusBunch.jpg

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
117 Posts
So glad I managed to snag my OSS in 45 from Bud's when I did, seems like they sold out shortly after I got it. Hope it never needs repair, but if it does I'm praying they have spare parts for a while to come!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My 24/7 C is a titanium pet. Discontinued? Now it's worth twice as much IMO.

Reactions: Long_Shot

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Wow, interesting question! There are certainly some firearms that I have which if the factory wanted to replace it with a "similar" model, I would not be pleased. The G2 Standard is nice, but not a equal replacement for the OSS IMHO.......

·
Registered
183 Posts
Why didTaurus discontinue the OSS? Sounds like one of the best guns on the market ..

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
If Taurus wouldn't fix it and you really loved it you could take it to a good gunsmith... it might cost but if he didn't have a part maybe he could machine one... I have friends who have done that with antiques...

·
Registered
542 Posts
The US military competition was cancelled with no contract award. The good thing was that several very good guns were created for the competition that became availablt to us, like the OSS.

Taurus has proved that they will support their guns long after production ceases, so current owners should be safe for many years. Because there are so few aftermarket suppliers, I might think about buying a set of springs and a couple of magazines since thyey are eventual replacement items, but I'm not sure what else to have on hand "just in case".

I had an OSS and liked it, but IMHO there was one basic design shortcoming. In DA mode, the striker was only pulled back about 3/4 the distance that the slide pulled it back in SA mode, so the DA and re-strike firing pin hit was much lighter than the SA hit. For a mode designed to help fire a "hard primer" or other misfire, that doesn't make the most sense. The G2 striker is pulled back the same amount in both SA and DA mode making for what would seem a much more reliable re-strike and DA capability.

I don't know the reason, but I was able to shoot my G2 more accurately from the first magazine than I ever got with over 1000 rounds through the OSS. This is particularly curious because the OSS "felt" more comfortable in my hand, some of the controls semed more logical and felt more natural, and the OSS is supposed to have a more precise barrel. However, after a few hundred rounds, I don't think I could be talked out of my G2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts