Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a PT840 which was my first handgun purchase. Considering I am new to both Taurus and handguns in general, I figured I would ask for your humble opinions.

On a side note, I have my eye on a Springfield XDM9 for concealed and/or vehicle carry, but do not have the cash to pony up for a new firearm purchase at the moment.

I got my 840 in factory refurbished condition for $450 at a local gun show, and got about 250 rounds through it before I started having problems. The problem was with extraction of empty shells and a slide that liked to stick on the hammer when in the forward motion. I sent it to Taurus to the tune of 50 bucks shipping, and they found a broken recoil spring and damaged(not sure if bent or broken) trigger bar. They replaced said parts and I received my firearm within 3 weeks of sending it out. Great customer service (with the exception of not giving me a heads up that my firearm was on its way back to my house).

Overall, I am happy with the weapon, it feels great and seems to serve its purpose well. Home defence. My only quibble with it is the position of the mag release. I seem to accidentally hit it while firing and it will eject the mag before it even feeds the next round, which to me, is a big problem in the context of home defence for obvious reasons.

Now, to the point. Today I stopped by a local pawn shop that recently acquired its FFL, and saw a 24/7 chambered in .40. I figured I would take a peek to see how it felt. In all honesty, I like it much better than the 840 from the initial feel I could gather inside the shop, but I'm not 100% sold on it. He had a price tag of $550 on it and it is new.

I would just like to ask you Taurus experts, what are the major differences between the series, how reasonable is that price tag, and what should I expect to get on a trade in for the 840?

Sent from my Bosch ECU via VAG COM

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
The 24/7 Pro series had been discontinued so probably that's why they asked $550 for it. If there are local Academy Sports & Outdoors stores in your place, I suggest you check those stores and you might find the 24/7 Pro pistols there at more reasonable prices. I also suggest you check out the 24/7 G2 pistols first to see how you like them. The 24/7 G1's and G2's are striker guns whereas the 800 series are hammer guns.

·
Registered
526 Posts
550 is way overboard for a 24/7. You can find the 24/7 G2 in 9/40/45 for $379-400 with free shipping at multiple places on the web. Id go that route. For $550 you can get a XDm9, which is a superior gun. I have both the XDm and 24/7 G2, and while i like the Taurus' ergos more, the Springfield IS a better gun, match barrel, quality, and trigger.
That isnt to say not to get the 24/7...just dont spend 550 or near it on one. They are definitely worth the $400 price though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You won't be disappointed with the 24/7. Just clean every nook and cranny when you get it. Mine had ejection issues until I did a damn near total breakdown to clean it. 0 failures since (1000+ rounds). They are worth more than Taurus charges IMO. I've had fewer issues with my "POS Taurus" than two buddies with Sigs costing 2x as much....and they carry great!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight guys. Interestingly, he had an XD40 full size frame also listed for $550, so now I'm thinking about trading in my PT840 for that one considering what you guys said about both models. My roommate already owns an XD40 that I haven't got to try yet, so I'm gonna twist his arm till he agrees to bring it to the range and let me try it out before I decide on the 24/7 or the XD40.

So let me get this straight, a 24/7 pro or G2 is a superior firearm to the PT800 series? And the Springfield XD is a step above both of those?

So I'm trading my PT840 for something, do you think a straight up trade for the 24/7 pro is fair? If i could get a straight up trade for the XD40 i think i would jump on that one. My 840 has no more than 750 rounds since factory refurb when i bought it and no more than 250 since the warranty repair and is in good cosmetic shape.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
I can't say the XD40 is a superior gun just like I can't say any of the Glocks I own is better than the Tauri. The 800 series pistols are hammer guns and the 24/7 Pro (G1) & G2 are striker guns. Some people like hammer and some prefer striker. The PT800's are just as good ad the 24/7's, only which one you like better. But $550 for a 24/7 is a bit too high, IMO.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I got ya. I stopped in that shop again on Friday with my 840 just to see what he might offer for it. No way I'm trading mine in there, he said he would go $250 on my 840 and the best he could do for a trade on the 24/7 is my 840 and $250 on top of it. Not worth it for either IMO. He did give me a decent price on a Judge PD, about $450. The guy is just starting up his firearms business so I'm hoping that prices will come down as inventory starts going up(he had 8 guns the day I was there and says he hopes to have 60 in the next few months and he promised me he will be getting at least one new one in each week). Till then though, I can still use him as an FFL to do transfers if I should want to buy anything online, and buy ammo for reasonable prices. He also said he has a good gunsmith so I will look into that to get a scope mount installed on my Mosin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.