Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get a new gun and I'm considering a .45 ACP. I went to the gun shop today to check out a Ruger P345 after reading several positive reviews. The trigger was awful. I have arthritis in my trigger finger, and the Ruger trigger was really hard for me to operate. It was really heavy and the travel was way too long for my liking. Can anyone compare the trigger on a 24/7 .45 with the Ruger's? I wonder if I should just avoid any DA auto.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Unless you hit a dud round or a misfire, your 24/7 45cal (or any caliber) in the newer DA/SA models will always be in single action mod once you chamber a round. Unless something is wrong with your firearm it should have a nice smooth and very short pull very much like firing a standard 1911 style pistol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the Ruger P97, predecessor to the 345. It does have a long trigger pull but you do get used to it. I have arthritis in more than my fingers so I have to get a semi auto that I can rack and shoot well. This is why I went for the 24/7 9mm. The trigger worked well for me and it was a pleasure to shoot. I also tried the .45 version and it was OK for me also.

·
32,813 Posts
Sounds about right. Trigger pulls for the 24/7 have been reported from 6 pounds to a little over 8 pounds of pull. Individual massed produced guns are going to be different, even if made by the same maker. Kind of a rule of thumb. Doesn't matter who the maker is.
Why not go with a PT1911? SA pistols would help and have the shorter trigger pull as well as being about as light 24/7s SA/DA.

On the arthritis, this is a case by case basis, as some can use the 24/7's trigger and other with worse cases may not.

One other thing. Are you folks able to rack the slide ,or is going to a 9mm. with it's lighter recoil spring, or even a lesser caliber a good idea? I would think that if pulling a long trigger stroke is going to cause problems, then racking a slide with a powerful.45ACP recoil spring would cause agony.
There are lighter springs, but these can cause fit and function problems from the get go.
If the lighter springs do work well. Softball ammo would be all that one might be able to shoot.

Certain forms of arthritis are dengenrative and move quickly. Others are not. Know of a gent who is down to shooting a Ruger MKIII or a Hammerli Trailside in .22lrf because the degeneration advanced fast enough to keep him from being able to shoot centerifres.

This stuff hits at any age and can debilitate people fast,at a slow rate, or not at all.

The trigger pull on my PT111 in 9mm. is much shorter than it is on the Ruger P97. At least in DA mode.
So a 24/7 in 9mm.,whether in full size could very well be the answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts