Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Taurus 24/7 Pro .45 from Sportsman's Warehouse.

After hitting 8 or 10 inches below my POA repeatedly I put it on a rest and got very good hits. Then I noted that the angle and the fish hook shape of the trigger and it's extreme rearward release point caused my rather wide trigger finger to drag heavily on the bottom of the trigger guard - assumedly the reason for the low hit problem.

Is it possible to:

1. Get the trigger angled or moved forward?

2. Get a trigger with a standard curve instead of the fish hook curve?

And, has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks a million

JimL

PS. I've read some very instant put downs here so let me make a couple things clear. I'm a 67 year old ex-cop who CAN hit the broad side of a barn from the inside.

Also, while my trigger finger is wide, it is very short, therefore the 24/7 Pro .45 with its small grip.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
No put down here and sorry if you've gotten that impression from some of our post and/or comments.

I regret to say that there is no trigger mod or replacement for the 24/7 that I know of, is your 24/7 a DAO or a SA/DA?

I wonder if changing the sites to something with a bit higher POA would make a difference? I have an EAA Witness 9mm that for some odd reason I have the same trouble with and replacing the sites cured for me. Just a thought...

Gunmakers try to make a pistol fit as many varieties of hands and fingers as possible, which is nearly impossible. Be interesting to see something like a 24/7 with grip inserts like a few other firearms. It may help those that are unfortunate enough to get a bad fit.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DRAEGER said:
No put down here and sorry if you've gotten that impression from some of our post and/or comments.

I regret to say that there is no trigger mod or replacement for the 24/7 that I know of, is your 24/7 a DAO or a SA/DA?

I wonder if changing the sites to something with a bit higher POA would make a difference? I have an EAA Witness 9mm that for some odd reason I have the same trouble with and replacing the sites cured for me. Just a thought...

Gunmakers try to make a pistol fit as many varieties of hands and fingers as possible, which is nearly impossible. Be interesting to see something like a 24/7 with grip inserts like a few other firearms. It may help those that are unfortunate enough to get a bad fit.
Thanks. This is an SA/DA. Altho I just bought it new, I can't figure out when it was made by the date stamp.

As I said, it fires right on when using a rest. And last night checking it over again I found that the pull is pretty extreme. Any ideas how to check the pull without a gun smith's tool for it? Does anyone know what they are supposed to set the pull at if you send it in?

Any idea where to get adjustable sights for it?

I think there is an awful lot of take-up in it. Can they adjust that? If not, I bought the wrong gun.

Thanks a million

JimL

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I haven't changed the sites on either of my 24/7's so I am not sure about replacements, but I know others have discussed new sites for the 24/7's. Maybe one of them will chime in here and offer some suggestions.

I have always liked the long even pull on my 24/7 DAO, it has been very smooth and consistent to the point that I don't even notice the long stroke. As for my other 24/7 9mm, it is a SA/DA and feels pretty much like most of my other SA/DA pistols. I don't know of any way to adjust the trigger pull on the 24/7, unlike some other firearms (Glock) that have aftermarket/3rd party mod-kits for them.

May I ask what other semi-auto firearms you have used, you know like SA, DAO, Revolvers, etc...? May make it easier to suggest or compare other pistol's trigger pulls/take ups if I know what you've used or are comparing the 24/7 too ::) I think 1911's (Single Action), Glocks, Sigma's and a few others like these have much shorter trigger pulls then most standard SA/DA (beretta, browning highpower, cz, xd, etc...) have.

I know this is a Taurus forums and I own a large collection of Taurus firearms, but I enjoy all firearms/brands and would rather see someone own and shoot something they enjoy then be stuck with something that they can get by with or they hate. If the 24/7 doesn't work for you, then maybe we all collectively can help find something that does ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had my SA/DA 24/7 .40 for almost a year now. My only complaint with the weapon is lack of accessories. (holsters, sights, etc.) Taurus has a licence to manufacture and use sights designed by Richard Heinie. They are dovetail, but I am not sure if the dovetail dimensions are standardized with other dovetail-type sight manufactures. Only very recently (I suspect due to high demand) has Heinie offered replacement night sights for 24/7's. They can be found here:

http://www.heinie.com/taurus.php

There is a warning on the site about shooting low. My 24/7 was my first gun, and so when I learned to shoot with it, I quickly got used to the necessary alignment to hit target center. When I bought a few other pistols, I found I was hitting high with some regularity. I've since taught myself to aim differently depending on which of my handguns I'm shooting. (Mine are all fixed sights). I dont believe Heinie offers adjustable sights yet, thought they might in the future if demand is high enough. I emailed Heinie about night sights 2 months before they started offering replacement night sights, the representative said they had been recieving a lot of reqursts for aftermarket night sights. I'd contact them and ask how many requests for adjustable sights they've recieved. In your situation, a good gunsmith might be able to shim the rear sight enough to bring you're shots where you want them, or mill a few thousanths off the bottom of the front dovetail.

As for the trigger...The 24/7 action inherently has a lot of slack (take-up) in the trigger. It allows for the reversion to DA in the event of a failure to fire. You do not however, need to let the trigger all the way back out to reset after a successful fire. With dryfire practice, you can actually feel the trigger reset when the trigger is still very close to the rear of the trigger housing (or grip). Rack slide, dryfire holding the trigger back, rack slide, slowly let the trigger our until you feel a reset, dryfire...repeat...You must rack the slide or you will be feeling the DA trigger pull, not the SA, and remember this if you decided to measure the trigger pull. You'll get very different results depending on if the firing pin is back or not when you start pulling.

Since the 24/7 action is one of a kind on this earth, it will take some getting used to, especially if you've been using something fundamentally different for a long time. The question is: Are the advantages of the 24/7 action (namely a SA with second-strike capability) worth learning a new way to shoot?

Hope this answers some questions.

·
Administrator
17,796 Posts
JimL said:
Is it possible to:

2. Get a trigger with a standard curve instead of the fish hook curve?
Have been wondering about that one myself. It may be possible to fit a Trigger Shoe to the existing Trigger.

·
Registered
123 Posts
jwc007 said:
Have been wondering about that one myself. It may be possible to fit a Trigger Shoe to the existing Trigger.
I was just pondering that myself. hmmmm.

Ideas? What materials are usually used for this kind of thing?

The trigger is very lax in my opinion, but it's understandable given that it gives you second strike capability. It's not going to ever be a glock trigger. I havn't heard of many smiths that are working on these either. Shoeing seems a good option though.

I'm also pining for one of those recoil rod laser sights too from Lasermax. I love that thing. I dont want to use a rail mounted laser, but i have been pondering a rail mounted light lately. Of course that really limits my holster options. I have a Milt Sparks custom holster on order.

Does anyone know if the replacement night sights are the Trit glowy sights? thats what i really want.

The Heine sights took a bit for me to get used to. I'm accustomed to sights that require you put the dot at 6 o'clock, not ON the target. I'm not wild about the fact that my point of impact is obscured because I have the dot on it, but I have to hand it to Heine. The dot over dot design does help me aquire faster than a 3 dot design.

Love this gun, love the warranty and the features. Can't wait for the 809 to come out :) They better make a .45 version too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Description of night sights from Heinie.com:

"Heinie's SlantPro Straight Eight Night Sight for the Taurus 24/7 Pistol. This is a sight set made to work together as a front and rear. The front sight has one tritium dot and the rear sight has one tritium dot. When you align the sights you create an elongated eight. "Straight Eight"."

They also have 3 dot night sights if you prefer. Look at the LMS-Uni max rail laser from lasermax too, I think this is about as small and aesthetic as you'll get until a recoil spring laser kit becomes available. The have an expensive red one ($130 on ebay) or a really expensive green one.

Check out http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/Default.htm for custom holsters that accomodate lasersights as well. Get your wallet out though....

·
32,527 Posts
One caution on the trigger shoe option. When holstering the pistol trigger shoes will and have caught on the holster or other surfaces and the trigger was pulled through full cycle firing the gun unintentionally. Fingers were out of the trigger guard and off triggers when these frequent accidents have happened.

At the range no lapses in judgement might take place. Out in the real world after an adrenalin dump, fight or flight response, it is possible and likely that part of the safety process will be overlooked causing a negligent discharge.

This has happened too frequently with defense scenarios that are over and have been documented well by shooting instructors to let this problem pass.

This has to be checked out with an empty gun and that particular holster over and over before trusting nothing will happen in the real world.

·
Administrator
39,688 Posts
Stay away from trigger shoes. Had one on a S&W duty revolver long years ago. Hex screws unknowingly loosened and soon discovered that the shoe slipped and rendered said firearm inoperable. Cured by throwing shoe away. :drool:

·
Registered
123 Posts
hmmm, perhaps I have a different idea of what a trigger shoe is. I really didn't know there were like official "trigger shoes" with screws and tensions and whirring bits of stuff and a machine that goes PING.... I was honestly just thinking of taking some modeling clay and very gently sculpting it over the front of the trigger to the shape i wanted and letting it dry.

Nothing to adjust as far as tensions... etc. I just wanted to adjust the curve of the trigger a bit.

·
Administrator
17,796 Posts
LedJedi said:
I was honestly just thinking of taking some modeling clay and very gently sculpting it over the front of the trigger to the shape i wanted and letting it dry.

Nothing to adjust as far as tensions... etc. I just wanted to adjust the curve of the trigger a bit.
That's a very good idea. Something of that sort has been done to Glocks to install Beaver Tails to the Grip Frame. Basicly, one uses soft modeling Clay to form a Mold and then one pours mixed Epoxy into it and final shaping is done by Dremel.

As for the Trigger Shoe Idea, I was thinking of one that did not bulge outside of the Trigger guard and fastening would be done by drill and Tap with the fastening screw all the way thru the original trigger and Loc-Tited into place.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DRAEGER said:
I have always liked the long even pull on my 24/7 DAO, it has been very smooth and consistent to the point that I don't even notice the long stroke.
It's smooth enough until just before release when it sort of like hits a stop that is harder. The stroke doesn't seem long, per se, except that the trigger is right against the rear of the trigger opening when it finally fires.

May I ask what other semi-auto firearms you have used, you know like SA, DAO, Revolvers, etc...? May make it easier to suggest or compare other pistol's trigger pulls/take ups if I know what you've used or are comparing the 24/7 too ::) I think 1911's (Single Action), Glocks, Sigma's and a few others like these have much shorter trigger pulls then most standard SA/DA (beretta, browning highpower, cz, xd, etc...) have.
This is only my second auto, after a Hi-Point .45. With the Hi-Point the grips were too big around for my short trigger finger, altho I could hit what I was shooting at - even with the hard pull.

As a cop I carried a S&W model 10 until I got my own model 64. At my neighbor's insistance I carried his S&W adjustable sight .357 (don't remember the model) for a while. All of these had a DA that released much farther from the rear of the trigger opening. None had a built in rear angle on the trigger like my Taurus.

If the 24/7 doesn't work for you, then maybe we all collectively can help find something that does ;)
Thanks. The number one factor is my short trigger finger. I can barely get the tip of it on the trigger of a big Glock.

But there's another problem I just "diagnosed." It isn't straight. rather points down starting at the middle knuckle. On a revolver it doesn't seem to matter because the knuckle rides high. On the Taurus the squarish polymer frame is in the way.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ciurym said:
sights designed by Richard Heinie. They are dovetail, but I am not sure if the dovetail dimensions are standardized with other dovetail-type sight manufactures.
I just read somewhere that most 1911 sights will fit it at least on the rear. I have no idea if the writer knew what he was talking about and haven't yet tried to check it out. The width of the dovetail seem to be 3/8 inch, best I can tell with my micrometer.

Only very recently (I suspect due to high demand) has Heinie offered replacement night sights for 24/7's. They can be found here:

http://www.heinie.com/taurus.php
Thanks

There is a warning on the site about shooting low.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I emailed Heinie about night sights 2 months before they started offering replacement night sights, the representative said they had been recieving a lot of reqursts for aftermarket night sights. I'd contact them and ask how many requests for adjustable sights they've recieved.
Well, if they accept email that's a huge mark in their favor.

The 24/7 action inherently has a lot of slack (take-up) in the trigger. It allows for the reversion to DA in the event of a failure to fire.
Ah, that explains the 1/4 inch of nowhere action in (what I'm guessing is called) the transfer bar.

...much good stuff...
Hope this answers some questions.
Yup!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LedJedi said:
hmmm, perhaps I have a different idea of what a trigger shoe is. I really didn't know there were like official "trigger shoes" with screws and tensions and whirring bits of stuff and a machine that goes PING.... I was honestly just thinking of taking some modeling clay and very gently sculpting it over the front of the trigger to the shape i wanted and letting it dry.
I had the same thoughts about JB Weld. I even got some carbon black to turn it from gray to black.

BTW, carbon black is much easier to find by the ton than by the ounce.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I was thinking of Non-taurus pistols that had a smaller grip and fairly good triggers.

I came up with a Walther P99

Or a S&W SW99

These two guns are cousins, have the same features (far as I know) and were built in a joint venture between Walther and S&W. I have shot both and for the life of me I couldn't tell you which is which... although I believe the Walther is the better of the two pistols, not sure of the price. They are nice and come with interchangeable back strap to accommodated different hand sizes and a nice somewhat Glockish/Sigma style trigger.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DRAEGER said:
I was thinking of Non-taurus pistols that had a smaller grip and fairly good triggers.
Hm, looking at the triggers on your guns it occurred to me to make a metal trigger for my 24/7 and put a forward angle on it instead of a rearward angle. That plastic one is too rubbery anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts