Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through pretty much every post on 24/7 issues, and mag problems but didn'y come across any that hinted on the problem I have. I have a new 24/7 pro ls that doesn't like to get rid of empty mags. The normal thumb pressure one would expect to send an empty mag flying to the ground doesn't do it. push a little harder and the mag is still there. Cram the button over with enough pressure to hurt, and it might MIGHT drop free. I have field stripped the gun tonight and learned that when I depress and hold the mag release and slide a mag up the well I can feel it catch. One mag more so than the other, but still its enough to keep either one in the gun when I really want it to drop free like it should. Sometimes the one mag needs to be wiggled a little in conjunction with really cramming down on the release button. I can think of several things off the top of my head that might take care of it, but I'd like to know about anyone else having this problem and what they did about it before I go stoning and sanding parts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well, after much careful examination I have concluded that the cause of my particular issue is that the lip that catches the mag slot is not completely disengaging the slot when the release button is pushed. I have observed and felt with my finger a bur-sized nip of the tab still protruding into the mag well, on which the nags are hanging up. I believe that with a little stoning, or fine filing, the lip can be bobbed back a touch and solve my problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, and no. I contacted Taurus via FAX because I have no e-mail for them, and calling them is like talking to a pillow. I sent them a fax explaining the problem and that I'd like to try 2 new mags before spending any money to remedy something that shouldn't have happened in the first place, or before sending it out for repairs for an undetermined length of time. About a week later I received 2 new 24/7 mags in the mail, which seem to work fine so far. Upon examination of the original 2 mags I found tiny splits at the rear of the feed lips on one, which I have no idea how they occurred since the gun was new. However I learned that even if I removed the mag catch mechanism altogether the 2 original mags still stuck! It wasn't the catch, it was actually the mags themselves wedging in the well. The two new ones don't seem to do this, and the original ones are becoming more cooperative with use, though I wouldn't use them for carry or competition obviously.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Did you have to send them the bad magazines before you got the new ones or did they just send them out and ask you to return the bad ones later or do they even care about the bad ones????

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oddly, not one word was ever mentioned about the original mags. I still have them. One with teeny-tiny little splits behind the ears and one that appears 'normal'. A little history on them though: Here in the (not so) great state of the people's republik of NY, we are restricted to 10 round mags. The pistol was shipped to my NY dealer by a supplier in MA with 15 rounders which of course they could not give to me. NY also requires that a spent casing be put on file so in the event my gun is ever used in a crime they can match it right up and solve the case....yeah, whatever. Anyways, Taurus does not participate in the NY political BS nor do I blame them. Therefore, my dealer had to take my gun to Albany for the DCJS office to fire one round to recover the shell casing, then they had to swap out the 15 rounders for 10 rounders before I could take possession of it. The original 15 rounders worked fins when I checked it out at the dealer when it arrived prior to them switching the mags. I remember trying them, but the 10 rounders (authentic Taurus pieces) were crap. Having dealt with Taurus in the past about obtaining information I know they are very hard to get a hold of, so I took a chance to see what would happen and sent them a fax. I simply stated that upon taking delivery of a new Taurus pistol I noted the mags would not fall free from the well, that the dealer examined the gun and figured the mags were to blame and trying a couple different ones might yield some results, or I may have to send it back. I told them I wasn't about to fork over $80 for two new mags for a gun a I just bought and I didn't feel like taking it and sending it back for weeks or months since I had just got it. I kindly asked if they would forward me a couple replacement mags to try and they did, PRONTO! without even asking about the old one for return or replacement. I don't feel to bad about keeping them due to the fact they are about as dependable and useless as crap. I look at the two they sent as being the 2 I should have gotten in the first place and the other 2 are like the paper wads you find in the toes of new shoes: sure it comes with them, but you don't use them for anything! LOL

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Well, look at this way, you got a couple of free Taurus paperweights! And you might be able to strip some parts off those junk mags down the road.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new 9mm Taurus 24/7 Pro, and have shot it at indoor ranges the last few months. I have had good luck with the two magazines that came with the pistol.
I read an interesting item in a gun magazine about the Taurus provided magazines, but I discarded the magazine article I wish I had kept.
What I read was that Taurus wanted Mec Gar to be involved with 24/7 magazines, but Taurus wanted Mec Gar to let Taurus manufacture them in thier factory in Brazil, under a license agreement with Mec Gar, and Mec Gar did consent to this.
I emailed Mec Gar and asked if I could purchase the 24/7 magazines through Mec gar, and they said no. The agreement was that their 24/7 magazines are made by Taurus, and could ONLY be purchased from Taurus.
It's my understanding that Mec Gar has never done this type of thing before with any other pistol manufacturer, and Mec Gar mags are ordinarily made in Italy.
To me this is very odd, but I would hope that the Taurus quality control will be improved, or at least up to Mec Gar's quality standards
Has anyone here heard anything about what I have posted here on this? If so, please post any more information you might have.
Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
FYI, I tried faxing in. No response, and after 3 weeks I called. They asked me to send in the old mags, which I refused. I said you send me, then I send you back.

I received two mags the other day. Both used. One ejects really nicely... when it finally ejects.. I have to push the ejector really hard. One is just as sticky as one of my original one, and I have to force it out.

Still, out of four mags, the best one I have is the one that drops free, but it doesn't shoot free... grrr. I'll have to call again. This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
663 Posts
mjmcg said:
I contacted Taurus via FAX because I have no e-mail for them, and calling them is like talking to a pillow.
I am suspecting Taurus is having a lot of trouble getting reliable employees. Some folks get right through on the phone and some, like me, get put on long distance hold. Some get really helpful people and some get jerks or incompetents.

If it is an employee problem we can all hope it gets better soon. If it's an employer problem we're probably all sunk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts