Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A tale of two pistols, a 24/7 original and a 24/7 Pro, both in .40 S&W (one for work carry, one for home & range) Accidentally swapped slides between pistols; had both disassembled and installed standard slide on Pro frame. CANNOT GET SLIDE TO COME BACK OFF!!! I can't tell what is holding it on - Please help.

I know this was a terrible n00b move, please post ANY suggestions (short of hara kiri) ;D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Try pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got nothing else to try then. I once had the slide on my Pro get stuck, but pulling the trigger released it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Does the slide move at all? Or is it stuck solid, like in one place? And is it partly on the frame or all the way on the gun? Since you didn't put both slides on the wrong frames (no I am not trying to be funny), compare the other frame and slide and see if you can determine any differences between the two frames and what could be holding the other slide on. Worst case (if it moves at all) you can try (don't laugh) tapping the slide off with a rubber mallet, thats why gunsmiths have rubber mallets. Don't mash it, but it could make it go as a last resort. Worst case is call/send it to Taurus...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The slide moved and was fully on the frame. Couldn't see any difference in the exposed parts of the frame, but there are scallops and ramps in the underside of the early slide that are not in the Pro slide. Couldn't tell from what we could see just what was hanging things up.

Gave up on self repair, and referred the problem to a gunsmith who forced the slide off with slight but minimal damage. Thanks for attempts at aid.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
CallMeJoe said:
The slide moved and was fully on the frame. Couldn't see any difference in the exposed parts of the frame, but there are scallops and ramps in the underside of the early slide that are not in the Pro slide. Couldn't tell from what we could see just what was hanging things up.

Gave up on self repair, and referred the problem to a gunsmith who forced the slide off with slight but minimal damage. Thanks for attempts at aid.

He used a rubber mallet didn't he.... or did he not show or say exactly what he did? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DRAEGER said:
He used a rubber mallet didn't he.... or did he not show or say exactly what he did? :)
Rubber mallet. I thought about it, but didn't want to risk breaking something expensive. The Smith knew pretty much what would happen and went for it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
When I was at Colorado School of Trades (gunsmithing school) many, many moons ago, we where instructed in the fine art of rubber mallet tweaking, usually as a last resort :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.