Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main interest is for concealed carry and I'm having a hard time finding the information that will help me to make up my mind.

Questions I have are:

1) Is a full sized 24/7 (4" barrel, full sized grip) too large for practical concealed carry? I know, I know... It depends on the concealment method used, but does anyone here have any experience with both 4" and compact (3 1/3") versions and is there a significant difference that would make you strongly prefer the compact version for concealment?

2) Are the compact versions using a shorted grip now? I've seen pictures of compact versions that have the full-sized grips and other pictures showing a shortened grip.

I'm having a very hard time figuring out what type of grip comes on a compact 24/7 in .40 S&W. The images on some sites show a full sized grip. Images on other sites show a somewhat shortened grip, more like the length of a PT140 grip. Some sites say 10+1. Some sites say 15+1. Others say 15+1 or 11+1. Others say 15+1 and 11+1 (both included). They all refer to the same models:

24/7-40SSC-15 or -10
24/7-40BC-15 or -10

Obviously, the -10 part numbers are for versions with 10 capacity magazines.

I'm leaning toward a 24/7 Pro C in .40 S&W as long as the grip is not a full-sized grip (since my main intent is concealed carry). However, if it comes with the full-sized grip, I'm more inclined to go with the regular 24/7 Pro in .40 S&W because it's easy to conceal the extra 2/3" of barrel. It's the grip that's hard to conceal.

Do you know how I can find out what is actually being shipped or if there are both full-sized and compact grip offerings in the so-called compact model lineup?

For reference, here's a picture of kansas_plainsman's 24/7 Pro C in 9mm (on the left):

And here's what Bud's Gun Shop shows for the same gun:

Notice that the one from Bud's Gun Shop has a longer grip. (Look at the number of waves in the fingergrip area of the grip. Bud's image shows two full waves, but kansas_plainsman's gun only has about 1 1/2 waves - clearly a shorter grip)

What I'm thinking is that the 24/7 Pro C versions now come with shortened grips and that the 15 shot magazine makes up the extra grip length with a rubber overmold on the bottom of the magazine. The 11 shot magazine would be nearly flush with the bottom of the grip with only a short rubber overmold. That would mean that the 24/7 Pro C magazines would not interchange directly with the regular 24/7 magazines.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought there would be at least some feedback on this. Let me strip it down. 2 questions:

1) Is a full sized 24/7 (4" barrel, full sized grip) too large for practical concealed carry?

2) Are the compact versions using a shortened grip now?

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I would suggest, you go to any gun shop in your area. See if they have one or more of the styles, and see how it feels and looks to you.

I have bought one of mine without trying the gun, but I knew I wanted the small PT111 Pro type grip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've already been to the gun shops and held various models in the 24/7 line. I like the way they feel. That's why I'm here. What i can't get from visiting the gun shop is real world experience that would help me to know the answers to my two questions.

1) Is a full sized 24/7 (4" barrel, full sized grip) too large for practical concealed carry? (Hopefully someone here has experience with concealed carry of the regular 24/7 frame and a 4" barrel.)

2) Are the compact versions using a shortened grip now? (I've seen the shortened grips in 9mm for the 24/7 Pro C series, but I'm not sure about the same series in .40 S&W. The people at the gun shops don't know either. In fact, Taurus' own web site has no images for these guns and grip length is not something that they specify.)

·
Registered
235 Posts
The compact versions do use a plastic bumper between the bottom of the 15 round magazine and the bottom of the grip.

In this picture, you can see where I have already put the bumper on my 15 round magazine. I just got my 24/7 Pro Compact this morning, I prefer the compact for concealment, but I prefer them a bit smaller. I got mine in a .40S&W as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks, threefortyduster. Your post helps a lot. Your picture clearly shows that the 24/7 Pro C in .40 S&W has a shortened grip and it especially helps to know that the 15 round magazine has a removable bumper that takes up the extra length. This explains why I only see one type of 15 round magazine for 24/7 in .40 S&W. I had not considered the possibility that the extra rubber on the longer mag for the compact version was actually a separate piece. That takes care of question 2)!

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey threeforty - where did you get that bumper for the larger mag - did it come in your kit or did you buy it separately? Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Robby said:
Use the gun selector page. If you know the model # you type it in that section.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector.cfm
And then when you've looked up the gun that threefortyduster bought, you'll find that it is the Long Slide version with a Large frame, a 0" barrel and that it's yet to be announced:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=104&category=Pistol ;)

By the way, threefortyduster, how's the thing shoot? Does it shoot low with a 6 o'clock sight picture? I've seen other forums that say you have to shoot with a dead on sight picture (put the front dot on the target, not just below it).

·
Registered
663 Posts
SparkE! said:
By the way, threefortyduster, how's the thing shoot? Does it shoot low with a 6 o'clock sight picture? I've seen other forums that say you have to shoot with a dead on sight picture (put the front dot on the target, not just below it).
It seems that Taurus made the decision to use sights that require you to cover your target spot with the white dot. Search here for "heine."

JimL

·
Registered
235 Posts
SparkE! said:
And then when you've looked up the gun that threefortyduster bought, you'll find that it is the Long Slide version with a Large frame, a 0" barrel and that it's yet to be announced:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=104&category=Pistol ;)

Yes, mine shoots a bit low and a bit to the left...about an 8:30 position. I am going to try to cover my target spot this coming week and see how it does.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I usually carry a 4" .40 24/7 Pro without much trouble, and I'm a fairly skinny guy (120lb, 5'8"). Only issue is when bending down or over it becomes somewhat noticeable, but thats about it. Otherwise, walking around normally, no one even suspects.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Is there a part number on that rubber spacer so I can order acouple so I can use 24/7 mags in my PT111, I don't think caliber would matter with spacers. I can't find them on the Taurus website. Thanks David

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was in your position a month or so ago. It appears to me as if all compact versions of the 24/7 pro come with a short grip. I asked the same question regarding short vs. long grip compacts and didn't recieve much feedback. From what I can tell the long grip, short slide pictures you see are prototype versions of the 24/7 Pro C firearm, and are not actually available for purchase. I recently took the plunge and bought a 9mm 24/7 Pro C and am very happy with it. It came with 2 magazines, 1 13rd and one 17rd w/ the plastic spacer shown above. I'm pretty sure the compact slide, LONG grip do NOT actually exist. Cheers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I recently purchased a 24/7 C stainless 9mm. Mine has the short grip. I keep the 13 round mag in it to aid in concealment. I like the fact that the spare is the full sized mag with the spacer. I believe if you have to go for the spare (which I carry) then things are REALLY bad but at least you have the full sized grip and 17 more rounds.

What I love about the C is that even though it's got an abbreviated grip I can still wrap all my fingers around it thanks to the floorplate.

I carry Golden Saber 124 gr +p's in mine. Velocity-wise I don't feel like they are a true +p but it's still warmer than standard pressure. They are kinda in between standard and true +p velocity. Get a little more oomph for a little less wear and tear. They hit POA too.

Lastly, I hope that Viridian decides to offer a unit for the C. They have one for the full sized 24/7 but not the C. They should at least consider making a universal model but as of right now, their units are model specific. I have been wondering if the one made for the Walther P22 would fit on the 24/7 C. Perhaps I'll give them a call...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts