Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is a strange problem. I have 5 Taurus pistols plus alot of others. My step son was looking for a .45 cal pistol so based on the reviews and my experience with Taurus I suggested the 24/7 Pro. Every time he shoots a round the mag. releases and drops out. I looked at it at it seems to me that the mag catch is light. It also doesn't seem to positively latch.

I also check his hold and he is not hitting the release. (That was my first thought). ;)

Has anyone had a similar issue?

·
Administrator
35,317 Posts
ba dum-dum-clang !! Thank you everybody, Steelharp will be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress......

Does it happen with one particular magazine, or both? Have you marked your mags?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,

It must be the rare single shot model and he only paid for the standard auto loader, what a deal...... :)

Thanks for the replies. After I posted I was looking at the mags. One seems to lock in alittle better than the other. Monday my step son is going to try the other mag.

I think it's the same issue as DC's

Once we iron it out i'll post the outcome.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm having the same problem with my .45 ACP 24/7 pro. It usually takes mine 2 or 3 consecutive rounds before the mag falls out...must be a California legal model I didn't know about :D It is an intermittent problem however, as it has ONLY happened about 6 times in approx. 400 rounds with both magazines. As in maxxdog's case the mag catch seems light, as if it doesn't fully engage the magazine. Yesteray was the only the third time I've shot the pistol and I was hoping it was just a break in issue but I will be contacting Taurus tomorrow morning. I will keep everyone updated as to the progress.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would call Taurus and ask about it. I have never had that problem with my 24/7 PRO45
Is steelharp available for weddings?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I just got off the phone with Taurus and they asked me to send the pistol in for repair. Of course that will take 5 - 6 weeks but oh well.... I'll update this post in a month and half and let you all know how it went.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Maxxdog, not trying to be smart, but are you sure the mag release is not getting pushed by accident ? I have heard of some having this problem, and not really knowing they are doing it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Get some snap caps and try a few dry fires. Even though you won't have the recoil, it might show something to you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all.

It turns out that it was the mag release. My step son took it to a gunsmith. The smith took it apart and fixed the release. I wasn't there but it had something to do with a spring (?) not installed correctly. Wish I could be more specific. But from the previous posts it seems that someone may need to take a look at a design change on the mag release or a quality control change.

On a seperate note I finally recieved my new warranty rear sight for my Tracker after four months on order. They're quick on warranty replacements ;). I'm glad my step son didn't need to send his back.

·
Administrator
35,317 Posts
Sounds like it was a quick fix, that's great. Hope everything is golden now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same issue, I had Taurus send me a new magazine release catch installed by my local smith with NO resolution (they did send it free of charge). I did do tests however to find that both of my extended magazines (15rd), do NOT drop at all. My 11 rnd. however, drops every round to every other round, so since it only does it with that magazine and with a new catch, I am looking for a new 11 rnd magazine in .40 S&W. No one has any, they are ALL out of stock :(.. I'll keep looking. For concealed carry (and for the looks from my local police force), carrying an extended magazine gets more looks that carrying without one where I live (SE US, in FARM country :), seeing someone open carry their .45 Colt is nothing new, or any pistol for that matter, however seeing someone carry a compact with an obvious extended magazine draws a few eyebrows up if you know what I mean :) Open carry is nothing rare where I live. It is at least nice that I can strap on any gun I own and not worry about strange looks from the public. Only why I would need extended magazines for public carry LMAO,, that's the mindset here. :) Could be worse I suppose :)

I am glad and saddened that I am not the only one experiencing this issue.
FYI I shoot a 24/7 Pro, CD/S model in .40 S&W.

·
Registered
34 Posts
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/19095-millenium-pro-fix-dropped-mag-issue.html

The mechanics of the safety are similar. I would check to make sure the spring is engaging the release correctly and providing sufficient tension. With this type of spring, it's unlikely a weak spring. Next, I'd make sure the release is engaging the magazine correctly and deeply enough (see the above forum thread). Make sure the engagement surface on the release is square and not rounded, worn, or chipped. Finally, check the magazine where it engages the release. If the magazine has been pressed in over the engagement notch or has a damaged or worn notch, it may not allow sufficient engagement depth.

Keeping the fingers away from the magazine release while shooting is generally a good thing. The high thumb grip was developed with this in mind. Some folks have reversed the release to the right side to avoid hitting it with the thumb and then use the trigger finger to release the magazine.

As always, the factory warranty is your friend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts