Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 350 rounds through this gun and the magazine began dropping after discharge resulting in failures to fire and feed properly. Called Taurus yesteday and the customer service rep suggested I send the mags back for replacement...that it was already a problem brought to their attention and that others with similar issues found them to be corrected after new magazines were issued. She was courteous and quite confident they could correct this issue with new mags.

Probably not a new issue to this forum but I thought that I would advise and ask for validation from others if they found that the new maganizes corrected the issue.

I have enjoyed this gun thus far and hope this does the trick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tman...

The service rep actually said that it was either the magazines or the magazine release. Seemed logical...what else could it be.

I will try replacing the magazines first since it was pretty simple to fedx them down there....hopefully for a quick turnaround....and I didn't have to ship the entire pistol.

X

·
Registered
23 Posts
mine is a magazine issue. I have one magazine totally getting stuck with the marks showing it scraping. The other magazine is usable but not great.

I'm also waiting for replacements to be sent.

·
32,569 Posts
Guys, magazine catch springs can be weak or just malfunctioning in general. Something to look at and check.

All brands, makes, and models of pistols do not always drop mags free without some sort of friction despite what the net and other sources may state. This can happen with pistols that are designed that way, also.

This does not mean that the mag or the gun is malfunctioning, but just a fact of life. There are some things one can do to take care of this to a degree.

Wear and drag marks on a mag will be normal to a point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Guys, magazine catch springs can be weak or just malfunctioning in general. Something to look at and check.
If my mag has a round in it, it just shoots out. What do you tihnk that's a sign of?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

I received new mags today for my 24/7 Pro .45 today from Taurus by 2 day ground delivery. I originally returned them to Taurus on 08/14 via overnight FedEx....so the turn around time was just over 3 weeks. The are new mags in their original packaging.

We will see how they shoot in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this problem with my new 24/7 in .45 ACP. It started after the first 100 rounds and it happened with all four magazines that I had. Two of them were purchased via the internet from Taurus after I bought the pistol from a local dealer, so one might assume the mags were from different production runs. I think it is safe to say that this is a problem with the gun, not the magazines.

Oh, one of the mags was a little too short from front to back. That made it hard to load it with hardball ammo, as the bullet nose would run into the sharp front upper edge of the magazine body. Probably would have been OK with hollow points. I sent that mag back with the gun and asked for a replacement.

I got a letter from Taurus stating that they received the gun on August 28 and that they would be able to look at it in 6-7 weeks. It will be interesting to see what happens. Fortunately I am not depending on that gun for anything.

Mike :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is awful customer service from Taurus.

Do Glock magazines have problems like this? NO, and they are to be purchased EVERYWHERE at low cost.

Plus, Glock magazines take the stated number of rounds without any trouble I could never get 15 rounds in my 24/7 Pro 40 mags.

It seems to me that if you get a magazine and it has to 'break in' it is no good. The spring is supposed to be CORRECT right off the bat otherwise it was too tight and eventually it will wear out. That is to say that a magazine which loosens was TOO tight to begin with the spring was at an improper tension. If the spring tension is correct it NEVER changes not even if it is full of bullets for 50 years or used hundreds of times.

The proper analogy is a paper clip bent a LITTLE, not one that is overstressed repeatedly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lets hope the Wolff starts making/selling mag springs for the 24/7.
I see that Promag makes mags for the Mill Pro. Maybe they will make em for the 24/7 too. Can't be any worse then the factory mags.

·
Registered
23 Posts
well, update from my part is that taurus is sending me yet another 2 mags. They guaranteed they will be new this time. We'll see.

·
32,569 Posts
In the mean time if you need spares and need a source for said product here are a few places to look at for them.

www.gunclips.net/taurus.html
www.jgsales.com
www.cheaperthandirt.com
www.cdnnsports.com
www.midwayusa.com
These places are reliable. Others may have other sources as well.

Whether one want's to believe this or not is up to them.

Magazines need break in, just like the guns do or cars engines.These are mechanical things after all.Mechanical or moving parts are not perfect. Parts have to wear in and get use. Gradual wear or in or wear in a specific manner are called for.Every part is not totally like every other and no examples of anything are exact if even similar. Even alike models of any mechanical nature behave to a different standard. This is true on a case by case basis.

One does not take a gun and go off and expect it to function 100% and use it for CCW or for any other purpose.Too think that a mechanical contrivance of any kind is going to work right off the bat with no care or proper preparation is folly at best.Proper preparation of said mechanical contrivance by the user.

There is a break in period in which parts get to work their way into proper fit and function.
Many factors and reasons why this is true abound. Specs and tolerances of each and every gun part can be just enough different that the subtle differences or minor physical differences may not be aware to the user or anyone else.

Like a car, after proper break in,performance parameters have been reached for the gun to function correctly. One takes the car out to see how the car handles,behaves,and works in general.Same for the gun and it's associated working parts.

General blanket "conventional wisdom" or pre-conceived notions can get a person in trouble or get them killed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've told you what I believe is the truth about magazine springs you can believe it or not...but I had two 24/7 Pro 40 mags and one would take 15 bullets BRAND NEW and the other NEVER. The spring was not proper in the one. Magazines should not ever require a break in if properly engineered like the Glock's are. Taurus has poor quality control with the magazine springs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE PART II:

My two replacement magazines, which were delivered brand new in factory packaging, were apparently not the problem. My pistol still drops magazines with zest regardless of which one is used.

I am sending my pistol back to Taurus through my dealer. Back to the drawing board. At least the only cost to me is the lack of its use. Reminds me of a Volkswagon Touareg I had a couple of years ago.....but that is another story.

·
Registered
663 Posts
taurusfan said:
Magazines should not ever require a break in if properly engineered like the Glock's are.
Am I to understand that no one has ever had a problem with a Glock magazine?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
taurusfan said:
I've told you what I believe is the truth about magazine springs you can believe it or not...but I had two 24/7 Pro 40 mags and one would take 15 bullets BRAND NEW and the other NEVER. The spring was not proper in the one. Magazines should not ever require a break in if properly engineered like the Glock's are. Taurus has poor quality control with the magazine springs.
I believe the thread was about the magazines dropping free from the firearm, not how many rounds can fit in the mag or the quality of the mag springs. And to go on the record, I, personally have not had a problem with a Glock magazine in 15 years, BUT, I have seen plenty of NYPD Glock 19 magazines with a variety of issues. So, to single out Taurus is quite unfair.

(NYPD Firearms Training Unit 1992-1998, Certified Glock Armorer)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got back my .45 ACP 24/7 Pro this week, about 7 weeks after I sent it for a vacation in Miami to fix the problem with the mags dropping out of the gun after ever shot. The gun looked like it had been sprayed with oil all over the inside and outside of the slide assembly. The repair note said that the magazine release had been replaced. They also replaced the single magazine (just the body it said) that I sent with the gun.

I fired 100 rounds of commercial hardball ammo to test the repairs, bringing the total round count up to about 300. I had four magazines on hand that I rotated.

Things went well for about 40 rounds, then occasionally, the mag would drop out. This seemed to be happening with only 2 of the 4 magazines, not all four as it did prior to repair. One mag seemed particularly bad and the dropping problem seemed to worsen as the test progressed.

Another odd problem developed early in the test and happened about 4 times. The slide would lock back while there were still rounds in the mag. I've seen this happen with other guns, but this was different. The mag release was not part of the problem. It was still in the fully down position and no amount of pushing down would release the slide.

The way I made the slide go forward was by dropping the magazine with the mag release. Somehow, the magazine body must be dragging on the slide. I'm not sure which of the mags had this problem, so if I keep this gun I'll need to do a lot more testing and probably send a couple of mags back for replacement. I suppose I would need to keep some very scientific notes which identify each magazine with a number.

The mag dropping problem would seem to be a combination of mag release dimensions and magazine body dimensions. One might assume that both of these are not kept to very tight tolerances. That's why some guns have more problems and some less with this issue.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket magazines that might be of higher quality?

I'd also like to talk to someone at Taurus who understands this sort of thing. Any ideas on how I might get to talk to an expert? I don't relish the idea of trying to work my way through the customer service system.

Take Care,

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot another minor malfunction that some would consider a safety problem. On one occasion, when I pushed the loaded mag home in the mag well, the slide dropped by itself and chambered a round. Actually, I think this is a nice feature in a semi-auto if it happened every time, but wanted to include it here in case it might help someone figure out the problem.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
5 Posts
I chatted briefly with Taurus customer service. The service rep suggested that I send back the two magazines that were dropping out of the gun. I sent them back a couple of days ago. I didn't mention the problem with the slide locking back.

In my opinion, the .45 ACP 24/7 Pro, or at least my particular example, is hypersensitive to magazine dimensions. I notice that you only need a 1mm press on the mag release to make it drop. Sort of like a hair trigger, you might say. Not really appropriate in a self defense pistol. I'll probably sell this one when I get the new magazines and try something different.

Anybody in Washington State want to make me an offer?

Take Care,

Mike
Vancouver, WA

1 - 20 of 21 Posts