Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I start the police academy next year. However, even though I've handled a lot of rifles, my experience with handguns is pretty slim. I looked at getting a Taurus 24/7 Pro (.40 or 9mm) because I really like the gun and could certainly use the experience handling handguns. However, the academy I'm going to attend uses Glock 17s (9mm) for training purposes. Now, I'm without a doubt buying a handgun in the next month or so and would like to get the Taurus. They are both similar in the fact that they are both polymer-framed and striker-fired so I figure the Taurus should still give me enough experience. So, should I get the Taurus? Or should I go with the Glock because the academy uses it? The Taurus is certainly cheaper.

P.S. No police agencies locally actually use Glocks, they all use Sigs. I'm not quite sure why the academy here uses Glocks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Check with the agency you plan to work for, then get a pistol from their approved list. That way, you have your duty gun early, and can master it. Be sure to get good training, so you won't have to re-learn anything at the academy.

Beyond that, by all means get the Taurus.

·
Registered
174 Posts
it is hard to pass by the taurus, it fills the bill of allot of the pricier guns allot cheaper, but i have learned that switching away from my taurus to another gun then back is kind of like retraining again, mainly because the sa/da trigger is so different than most other guns, thats my 2 cent.

·
Administrator
17,927 Posts
What shep854 said! And ONLY IF the Taurus PT24/7 Pro is on their approved list, buy one! At this stage of the game you need to get your reflexes trained to work with the pistol you WILL be using as those reflexes could be needed to save your life or that of others!

If you have the time, I also recommend and unarmed combat Martial Arts discipline, if available in your area. But get references before choosing one. Not all are created equal or useful. I recommend and have practiced Shaolin Kempo. There may be short term courses available, suitable for your needs.

·
32,585 Posts
One other little fact that has popped up here and in the tactical journals. Glock gives mass discounts to police departments compared to other companies. Others do give them, but Glocks price to the departments and personnel are lower than the others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts