Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My PT24/7 Pro DS Duotone .40 S&W, Production year 2008, has a broken Manual Safety Support (part # 4.21).

I pulled the action group from the frame to clean it up. The safety support came out in two pieces. :eek:
One of the two lobes of the slot head broke off (looks like a deep flat blade screw head).

I'll be on the phone to CS on Monday to order the part.

I have had this gun since 02/09 and this is the first issue I have had with it. :thumb:

Good thing I have my PT1911 for backup.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Updated

Update: Had a very pleasant chat with Taurus CS. Together we explored the twisted ways through Version Land. :unsure:
Coming from a publishing background, particularly pre-press, I am all too familiar with version issues.
Well, what we had was a question about the broken part's nomenclature.

My PT 24/7 Pro DS printed manual is rev. 03/2008. It shows the part in question as 4.21 Manual Safety Support.
The CS rep I spoke with researched through a bunch of legacy manuals (read: archeological dig) to find a part number link to a current stock number.
Just looking at the online 24/7 pro manual told me that there was going to be a visit to Version Land.
The online manual is rev. 10/2007 and shows that part as 4.21 Manual Safety - Right.
The part almost looks like what I need, except for the lever the designers added to the Manual Safety Support and making it an ambi-safety.
I told them that looking at the online version, cover the upper half of the part with your thumb, and what you see remaining, is the part I need. He knew what I needed and the hunt was on!

The rep said that he WILL find me a part number and placed me on hold.
He came back on again a couple times to clarify a few points, then back on hold for a bit. Then, "I have it! I have it right here! I swear I do!"
It was like he'd found the skate key! :yipee:

After getting my name and address, he said all is set.
"No charge?"
"Oh no, we don't charge for that!"

We survived our foray into Version Land. Hope that the part is really the one we both described. A few days shall tell.

Now I sit here kicking myself for failing to get his name. In all my excitement, it slipped my mind. :bang:

Total length of call was 30 minutes. Rating for my first Taurus Customer Service interaction: :thumb: Two Thumbs Up :thumb:

7th Inning Stretch > > >
Take it, you'll need it.

Just kidding, but I do have a comment on the broken part and on the 24/7 itself. This is the first time since I have removed the action group in all the time I've had her, so who knows just when the part broke?

I noticed no functional issues with the safety/de-cocker in the four years I've owned this gun, including and up to the day I discovered the break.
Sure am glad I decided to pull the group to clean it!
:D

In closing, I ponder whether the issue with the safety is secretly feeding my desire for a wheelgun... :blink:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hmmm. No sign of the replacement part yet.
Any idea on how long it takes Taurus to get a replacement part shipped to the customer?

ETA: Part arrived in 15 days.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I wasn't sure of something, but now I am. My 24/7 OSS forced me to buy a 709 Slim too, Robby! It is on the UPS truck as I type this to be delivered today. Another thing we share is I have the same model of dog as you have!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, just got off the phone with my wife. She said the FedEx guy just dropped off a little package from Taurus! Yah!
Now to see if it is the correct part, after all. (Have faith!)

Guns just don't like to be alone and demand the comapany of more guns. It has to be some sort of physical law...

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I wasn't sure of something, but now I am. My 24/7 OSS forced me to buy a 709 Slim too, Robby! It is on the UPS truck as I type this to be delivered today. Another thing we share is I have the same model of dog as you have!
That just shows good taste! :) I love my two guns, 24/7 & 709, of course I love the others just as well.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think it's kind of funny that I own 3 semi-automatic handguns and at one point or another, I've experienced vastly different problems with each of them, but all equally frustrating. I own 1 revolver; an LCR in .357. And with that LCR I've never experienced a failure to feed, failure to fire, failure to extract or failure to eject... Funny how that is, huh? I think my LCR might need a friend... BUT! I still love those semis and I'll probably by 3 more semis before I buy another revolver.

Glad to hear your part arrived. Looking forward to hearing how smoothly it all went back together! :)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
*Sigh*
Opened the package :D from Taurus, and ta-daa!... :confused: wrong part.

It is the right side safety lever for a 24/7 with ambi-safety.
Part would be fine except for that external lever portion. Maybe I can dremel it to spec.

First I'll call CS and see if we can get this resolved without me sending my gun in.
Well, off to wander thru Version Land once more.

ETA: Guess I should put CS on speed dial.

UPDATE: CS rep Tiffany was a pleasant companion through today's tour of Version Land. The ticket is being bumped to supervisor to see if he can whip a legacy part number out of memory. Total call time for this one was 16 minutes.

Expecting a call back tomorrow. Yes, they have called me back, so far.

The Dremel stays in the box for now.

Just for giggles, pull out your old Taurus manuals and compare to the parts diagrams/lists on their site.

Time for dinner!

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Your patience in getting this resolved is amazing. Sounds like customer service is doing their part and you are too. Can't ask for more than that! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got off the phone with Tiffany. The supervisor said it was the key lock....

So, I have managed to get the two parts photographed next to each other and sent off to Taurus. Better than trying to describe something three ways... lol.

Anyways, here's the picture:

manual_safety_support.jpg

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Really?!? - UPDATE -

Just got off the phone with Tiffany, again.

After showing her supervisor the above photo, the supervisor said that it is the central support that I need.

I am not laughing anymore. The two parts the supervisor suggested have NOTHING to do with the manual safety.

Tiffany is going back to the supervisor once again on it.

The Dremel option is looking better each day.
I just have to decide which part I want to modify: safety support, or mod the frame to accept ambi-safety. I would have a unique 24/7 Pro DS if I did that.

I am being patient, but this is bordering on the lines of a Monty Python skit.

Any suggestions on where I should take this issue if the latest attempt at clarification fails?
I have been toying with the idea of sending Taurus USA's new CEO a letter detailing the issue(s).

UPDATE: Tiffany and her supervisor came up with a part which is close. It looks like it was cut off of a right safety,
I say close because it is missing a lobe where that cut is. Sent them this image:
lobe.JPG

This should get them on the right scent.

I have felt a little frustration over this, but I must say that Taurus CS has been great. Tiffany has kept me informed all along the way.
They have already displayed more service than many other major companies I've dealt with.

Gonna forget about this until Monday. Have a couple other little projects to tend to, like remounting the scope on my Tapco T6 10/22 and replacing the extractor with a Volquartzen. Also have new Wolff recoil (17 lb.) and firing pin springs to put in my PT1911.

Be safe.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Latest update: i spoke with Mario at CS yesterday. He and a colleague put their heads together and think they have the ID issue solved.
A part is on the way to me. Shall see if this second part is the correct one. If not, I'll whip out the Dremel and fabricate one from the part they sent.

Update 08/08/12:
Still have not seen the part Mario was sending. Should be here soon.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
UPDATE

:partsin01:

I received the part they cut (shown in post #13 above). Tiffany called and said they had discussed it and decided that it should work without that lobe.

I had to do a bit of minor fitting. The slot in the post was too tight to let the two halves mate properly. A needle file took care of that.

Cleaned everything up well while I had it all apart and did some minor deburring and polishing.

Once I have had it to the range for a thorough shakedown, I'll then make a decision on carrying this one again.

A tip of my hat to Taurus Customer Service, Tiffany and Mario in particular, for their friendly service and professionalism.

I'll post a range report later. May be a bit, since half-shafts, differential bushings and brakes come first.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Don't hold your breath on the range report. Just two days before I was going to get the half-shaft and differential bushings taken care of, my clutch takes a big crap.

:bang:

The one positive thing is, it died in my driveway. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Three Percent, I like your attitude about getting a part for your 24/7. I've had good conversations getting parts but thankfully not having to visit the morgue for part numbers. It's bad enough for new guns. I'm trying to get two loaded chamber indicators for my 24/7 C.

Good luck, be safe and good shooting.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thenks, Bre. Life is complicated enough without making it worse fretting over legacy issues.

Should someone at one time had the foresight to cross index the legacy parts? Sure. Did they? In some cases, no.

Stressing over it and getting my blood pressure up will change exactly 0% of the above facts.

Taurus CS had a lot to do with my attitude, also. The very first impression was that they weren't wanting to find an easy way out of a difficult service call.

Life is getting in the way of getting the 24/7 out to test. There is a reason for everything, so I'm not going to sweat it.
Plenty of more important issues to invest energy in.

Found three big ball bearings at the base of my driveway. May not be the clutch after all. Looks like the right half-shaft gave up the ghost.
Good thing I have a new one on hand. Once I get the car back in order, I can worry about the guns.

If they have trouble finding your parts, you could almost make your own LCI from a feeler guage in the mean time.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Knocking the dust off of this thread to fulfill my promise of a post-fix range report.
I was finally able to get the 24/7 to the range to verify the repair.

Status = VERIFIED. 24/7 goes back into the carry rotation. YIPPEE!

Went shooting Saturday with a co-worker and his 10-year-old son. In addition to verifying the 24/7, I did some testing on my hot glue birdshot slugs. YOWZA! Much more accurate than I imagined.
Sad part of the day was when we left... as we did not have the 30 people and multiple trucks it would take to clean up the area.

All in all, a fun day shooting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Three Percent :) I just got a used 24/7 and it has some problem with the safety (it does not stay up), I'm assuming that is a similar issue than yours. I have not disassembled the action (I'm no gunsmith and I'm a little clumsy :D ). Any advise or any manual you used to assemble and disassemble? Is it easier to take only that part out to verify it is broken and request a replacement from Taurus?

Thanks!!

M.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts