Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 24/7 has had about 150 out of around 300 rounds with +p's, no problems to date. I have shot a few hundred rounds of +p's in my PT111 with no issues and that barrel is not as stout as the 24/7. I don't have a paper manual, but I do have the pdf file on the pc at home, I'll have to read it again.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think the manual for the 24/7 is the same as the Mil Pro. If that's the case, I think the general consensus is that it can handle +P, but of course Taurus doesn't recommend a steady diet of it.

Todd

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
What BoneDigger said! Also, in the .45 ACP, for which your 24/7 Pro is chambered, there is not really much of a need for +P. Most all of the currently available Hollowpoints will expand very nicely at standard velocities. A lack of energy certainly is not a problem in .45 ACP, either!

The only times I have used +P in the .45 ACP were to make sure it fed reliably and put the rest up for a truly bad day! And even then, I loaded standard pressure rounds for home defense, first.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jwc007 said:
What BoneDigger said! Also, in the .45 ACP, for which your 24/7 Pro is chambered, there is not really much of a need for +P. Most all of the currently available Hollowpoints will expand very nicely at standard velocities. A lack of energy certainly is not a problem in .45 ACP, either!

The only times I have used +P in the .45 ACP were to make sure it fed reliably and put the rest up for a truly bad day! And even then, I loaded standard pressure rounds for home defense, first.
understand and agree, just curious if it would blow up if i used it.

·
32,614 Posts
And just to muck things up here is what the catalog, circa 2007, and the quote:

All Taurus handguns are engineered to accept a diet of factory-new Plus-P (+P) ammunition bult to SAAMI specifications. This includes the Ultra-Lite hammer forged aluminum alloys, Titanium, blue steel, and stainless models.

Above this quote in the catalog is the monilker: +P rated for duty use.

The prudent thing to do in this case is to do what has already been suggested. Use +P sparingly or occasionally.

For the minor velocity and power gain in using +P the muzzle flash and added recoil are a penalty one has to deal with. May not matter to some. And, yes. I do realize that short barreled handguns need all the help they can get for bullet expansion as far as velocity is concerned.

There are many standard pressure rounds that have excellent documented real world records for stopping an antagonist. So it up to the individual as to which type of ammo to use. Stopping a antagonist is not the same as being lethal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts