Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased this 24/7 and noticed that the front sight is drifted slightly off-center in its dovetail. It is locked down with a screw, but I cannot identify the type of driver I need for it. I think it is an Allen key, but I don't have any near that size to try and couldn't begin to guess what size it is so I could order one.

Does anyone happen to know what size and type of driver I am looking at here?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Those sights are fixed they cant be adjusted your gun should have come with an allen wrench so you can remove them if you wanted. If it didnt you could call Taurus but I would just buy one from a local hardware store.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks zemus, but my sights do appear to be adjustable. Both the front and the rear are mounted in dovetails. The front sight of my Millenium Pro is screwed on but not in a dovetail. I think Taurus probably did not think it necessary for the front sight of the 24/7 Pro to be adjusted, but that would be assumimg that the front sight was centered on the slide, which it is not. I have the allen key for the rear sight, but it is a different size than the screw in the front sight, if it is indeed an allen key as well.

I think I will call Taurus and see if they can give me any information.

·
32,582 Posts
Taurus should probably look into offering varying front sights of differing heights that come with the gun. Fixed sights can usually be moved for windage or side to side impact, but not for up or down. That's for the adjustable sights only. The model PT 99 has adjustable sights that seem to work well and are more rugged than others.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1746.0

The Heinie front sight on the SA/DA PT145 MilPro is held in its dovetail with a Torx T6 set screw. I had to apply some heat with a pencil torch to get the set screw to budge (don't overdo the heat). Loosen the screw, and off it comes.
A padded vice is a handy resource when dealing with sights. The front sight on the PT145 is .120" and I replaced mine with a .150" fiber optic... the .150 was just right to raise the POI to the POA.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Well, it certainly "lights up" in any light and makes it easy to catch the front sight with your eye quickly...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, a phone call and a trip to Radio Shack got me fixed up.

I called Taurus, but all the nice lady in Customer Service could tell me was that it was a metric size. That wasn't quite the answer I wanted, but it put me on the right track.

I went to Radio Shack and bought their 18-Piece Hex Key Set for $6.99. I was looking for something that started at 1mm and went up, and this one only went down to 1.27mm. ??? I had the gun out in the truck, so I figured I could try them out, then return the set immediately if it didn't work.

The 1.5mm hex key did the trick for the front sight. Now that I had sized keys, I tried the rear and found that it uses a 2mm hex key. Why they didn't make them the same, I guess only the engineers will ever know. ::)

·
Registered
123 Posts
We have a word for that where i come from...

"Straight Pimpin"

Ok, it's two words, but still sweet :)

That front site is the night sight from Heine or did you find a 1911 sight that would work?

Cimarron said:
Well, it certainly "lights up" in any light and makes it easy to catch the front sight with your eye quickly...

·
Registered
80 Posts
That appears to be a williams fire sight which is a fiber optic, not a true night set. However, as for a front tritium night sight. That can be purchased as a replacement from wilson combat. a front is about 30 bucks or so and is in the 367 line. I have one on the front of both of my taurus'

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm about to go to the store and pick up a set today and hope that it's still the same. My dove tail is a pain in the ass and it drifts low left. I fixed the low with the rear sights and now need to move the front sight to DC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i also noticed this problem with my front sight being slightly off to the left.but my gun is the 24/7 g2 full size. by the looks of it, it looks like its move by 1/16 to the left from being center. i know i have the benefit with adjustable rear sight but it kills me silently knowing that my front sight is slightly off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts