Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been many owners of the 24/7 Pro .45 ACP who have reported problems with the magazines on this weapon. I recently added a 24/7 Pro .45 to my collection of three 24/7’s and was concerned as I had experienced two jams with both of the magazines that came with the pistol. Taurus had indicated my .45 was manufactured in Nov 2008 and “should” have had the newest updated magazines. As I learned since…that was not the case.

I began researching this issue and wanted to share what I have personally observed in the hopes that it will allow other .45 owners to identify which .45 ACP mags they currently have... in an effort to isolate which magazine design has been most reliable and which design has been responsible for the failures to feed that have been reported.

I purchased three .45 magazines from another owner who bought these three mags in early 2007. I also had the two mags that came with my weapon manufactured in Nov 2008. I just purchased seven new in the wrap Taurus Mags from an online supplier who had been out of stock until the first week in February…so I know these seven are current production. I do not live in a state that requires 10 round mags so the 10 round versions were not observed…but I suspect what I have seen on the 12 round mags “may” apply

What I have learned is that there are at least three versions of 12 round .45 ACP mags for the 24/7 Pro.

The photo above shows a “First generation” on the left. A “Second Generation” in the middle and a “Third Generation” on the right. Notice the subtle differences:
-The 1st gen has a narrow vertical V groove compared to the 2nd and 3rd gen mags.
-The 2nd and 3rg gen have a much smaller well defined support rib at the base of the mag lips. The 1st gen rib is more of a rounded hump.
-The 2nd and 3rd gen mag bodies appear to be identical.

Here we see that the 1st gen groove width is about ¼” wide.

While the 2nd and 3rd gen mag bodies measure almost a 7/16” wide groove width.

Now to the followers:
Looking from the front, notice:
-The 1st and 2nd gen followers are very similar but the 2nd gen sits much higher in the mag lips. The top surfaces are identical but the shelf on the right side in this picture is taller by .050 on the 2nd gen than it is on the 1st gen.
-The 3rd gen is a totally different follower as we will see.

Here we see the difference in the shelf height between the 1st and 2nd gen followers that allow the 2nd gen to sit higher in the mag body.
-The 1st gen shelf height measures .325”.
-The second gen shelf height measures .375”.
-Note that the 3rd gen follower has a vertical groove on the front face. That same groove is also found on the rear face. It appears that this groove relief was added to insure that the sprue left from the injection molding process does not extend to the front and rear vertical faces...possibly resulting in a jammed follower.
-Note that the 3rd gen top face is totally different with a much wider more rounded contact surface for the cartridge and a much smaller shelf height with a ramped shape.

Also note the bottom edges of the followers:
-The 1st gen has very sharp edges that might be susceptible to jamming.
-The 2nd gen has more rounded lower edges.
-But the 3rd gen are obviously reshaped with a large radius to avoid jamming.

Here is a better view of the vertical groove found on the 3rd gen that is absent on the 1st and 2nd gen.

Here we see the difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen follower looking from the left side.
-Note the rounded nose of the 3rd gen follower on the right and it’s smaller shelf compared to the 1st and 2nd gen followers having a larger shelf and sharp angled edge on the nose.
-Also note (although hard to see) that the 3rd gen follower on the right has a vertical groove on it's left face that is not found on the 1st and 2nd gen. This appears to be an alignment groove to follow the wider vertical V groove of the 2nd and 3rd gen mag bodies.

Here we see the rear view and the rear vertical groove of the 3rd gen and the distinctively more rounded shape of the top surface compared to both the 1st and 2nd gen followers.

Here is the 2nd and 3rd gen followers from the right side.
-Again note the rounded nose of the 3rd gen compared to the sharp angled edge of the 1st and 2nd gen followers.
-Also the 3rd gen has another vertical alignment groove on the right face to align with the V groove of the mag body.
-You can also see the rounded bottom front edge of the 3rd gen.

Here you can see a clear view of the follower tops and the rounded 3rd gen profile compared to the sharp edged 1st and 2nd gen profile. The relief of the right and left sides are clearly seen here on the 3rd gen follower as well.

Here we can see how the rounded 3rd gen follower on the right improves the contact with the cartridge casing .
-Note how the contact surface of the 1st and 2nd gen on the left would tend to push the follower sideways against the mag body possibly contributing to a jam.
-By contrast the 3rd gen contact surface is closer to the follower centerline placing less side thrust on the follower.
-Also be aware that the contour of the 3rd gen follower is VERY similar to that of the yellow 9mm magazine followers that have been much more reliable.

Here is a side view with the 3rd gen on the right.

Finally, there is a difference in mag springs.
-The 1st and 2nd generation mags use an 8-coil spring with a measured .053” wire diameter, as shown on the left.
-The 3rd generation uses a 10-coil spring with an insignificantly larger .054” measured wire diameter.
-There is a definite increase in felt spring pressure with the 10-coil spring installed.

Observation

The 3rd generation magazine definitely appears to be an improvement in design over previous versions, but reports back from users will be the final assessment.

Hopefully this detailed description will allow other owners to determine which generation of mags they have with their weapon and report back their successes or problems with each generation so we can better isolate the magazine problems reported.

Kerry
Farmington, MO

·
Registered
192 Posts
Excellent writeup! Now I'm gonna have to see which version I have. :???:

-Greg-

Reactions: fleetjames

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
MrGreg said:
Excellent writeup! Now I'm gonna have to see which version I have.
+1 ! Thanx for the excellent pics! It appears that I have the second generation magazines for my .45 24/7 OSS, both primary and spares, but I will take them apart to make sure.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Awesome work, every 24/7 .45 owner owes you a debt of grattitude!

·
Registered
192 Posts
It appears I have a second gen magazine case and spring, but the follower in my magazine is slightly different than the followers you have pictured. The groove on the side of the follower is much larger than the second and third generation followers pictured, and it doesn't sit as high in the mag when empty... I'll try to get some pictures sometime in the near future.

-Greg-

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MrGreg said:
It appears I have a second gen magazine case and spring, but the follower in my magazine is slightly different than the followers you have pictured. The groove on the side of the follower is much larger than the second and third generation followers pictured, and it doesn't sit as high in the mag when empty... I'll try to get some pictures sometime in the near future.

-Greg-
I suspect there may be more than the three versions I have observed... so any new information on other configurations would be helpful.

Good pictures for comparison would be ideal.

The time frame when these magazines were bought may shed some light as well.

We need to also insure that all magazines being compared are Taurus mags since some have used alternate magazines from other sources.

Kerry

·
Registered
192 Posts
These are the two magazines that came with my 24/7, I bought it in October of '08, but I do not know the mfg. date of the gun itself.

-Greg-

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought my 24/7 Pro in November 08. I am told it is 3rd gen by the GSO. My springs measure .055" checked with a dial caliper and two known good mics. My springs are 8 coil.

My follower looks to be 2nd gen measuring the shelf height, .325" same as yours. However on the left side of the follower I have a groove like you show on the 3rd gen follower. Except that my groove is .245" wide and .060" deep. Looks deeper and more pronounced than you show on the 3rd gen mags. Right side has no groove.

It would be interesting to know if there is any difference in slides closing on mag insertion and slides not locking open based on the follower differences between the generations.

Excellent report!

DAve

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yellowhousejake said:
My follower looks to be 2nd gen measuring the shelf height, .325" same as yours. However on the left side of the follower I have a groove like you show on the 3rd gen follower. Except that my groove is .245" wide and .060" deep. Looks deeper and more pronounced than you show on the 3rd gen mags. Right side has no groove.
Dave,

Can you post a picture of this follower with a good closeup of the grooved left side?

Kerry

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sure, I'll need to "borrow" my wife's digital camera. I wonder also if anyone can post pics of the Para14 mag followers, those are reported to work in the 24/7 Pro. Would be interesting to see the follower design.

DAve

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here are the pics for comparison. I noticed my followers are both pretty rough with many burrs and mold flashing. I didn't notice the follower when I cleaned my mags. So I de-burred one, for comparison.

DAve

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
That looks exactly like the followers in my magazines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave,

I enhanced your pictures to try to bring up a little more detail:

It is my opinion that what you have are modified 1st gen followers as they have the .325" shelf consistent with 1st gen but have obviously been modified:

-The relief on the left side is not a molded surface. It appears to have been machined with a helical end mill or pneumatic rotary file as there are machining marks still visible. Nor is it tapered like the 3rd gen relief, which would be expected on a molded surface.

-The lower front edge has been radiused similar to a 3rd gen follower.

It almost appears that either this mag was returned to Taurus at some point and modified or that Taurus was sending out "modified" followers with new guns until a suitable replacement production follower could be molded. It may very well have been an expedient measure to avoid not being able to ship guns with magazines after reports were coming in to them on magazine malfunctions.

Kerry

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
jwc007 said:
It appears that I have the second generation magazines for my .45 24/7 OSS, both primary and spares, but I will take them apart to make sure.
Fully examined mine and it appears that my primary magazines (the ones that came with my Pistol) are the second generation magazines and my spares, bought much later (later October) are the third generation magazines. Have not had any trouble with any of them, so far.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I sent a PM to madman asking if he would post pics of his Para14 mag follower. He has been using them and says they feed fine, no issues. Should be interesting to see how the Para Followers differ from the Taurus followers.

DAve

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am especially interested as I am looking to order the Para14 mags. All of my previous experience with handguns is revolvers and bullseye. Even carrying before, I didn't really practice "fast" shooting. So I plan to start shooting the local pin matches and steel matches. I will *need* more mags.

Now I am having no real problems with my current mags so far, but at the going price of Taurus mags, and the possibility of getting mags that have issues, I am concerned. I don't have $100 to spend on something that may not work. So for the price, and the reliability/reputation of Para14 mags, they are an enticing option for range duty.

DAve

·
Registered
88 Posts
After I received my CWP I started carrying my 24/7 with hollow points and noticed I had a problem one day. If I loaded the mag with more than 7 rounds the slide would not cycle thru. If I fired it the slide would stay open and the next shell was jammed. It did the same thing by hand as well. If loaded with 7 or less rounds I had no problem. I tried several brands of hollow points and they all did the same thing, so I figured it was not meant to carry hollow points. Then one day I bought another spare (can ever have to many) at a local shop that was new stock. When I got home I decided to try it and see if it did the same. Low and behold it did not, neither by hand or by firing it. I called Taurus and told them the problem and they told me to send them in (had two at the time) and they would replace them. After some time and several calls later the news finally arrived. Looking at the original posters pics the ones I currently have are the third generation and they are working fine so far. Now I can carry a full clip and know that I should not have a problem right now. I could not tell you which I had before but am willing to say they were the first generation. Here is the family photo for those who care to see it.

Thanks,
Chuck

Attachments

1 - 20 of 108 Posts