Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been raised on 1911s. Over the years I've read how DA is safer than SA concerning liability issues from lawsuits. So I caved in and sold my high end 1911 for a 24/7 Pro .45 cal. I liked the feel of the frame, the SA/DA feature, and mag capacity amoung other things. This will be a carry pistol. Wouldn't you know, right from the box the gun wouldn't fire. Nine weeks later with a new barrel, the gun works great. It accepts every type of ammo I feed it. I love it.
However, I do have some concerns. As I stated, this will be a carry pistol. I know my 1911 would have withstood the test of time. I fired thousands and thousands of rounds through it without issues. I'm new to polymer frames and striker fired pistols. Are there stress areas I need to watch for with polymer? Is there a spring that activates the striker? If so, will the spring wear out if I leave the gun in a ready to fire mode? The manual says not to dry fire the gun, just how bad is it? Your comments will be appreciated. Thank You.

·
Registered
123 Posts
you should be fine with dry fire if you use a snap cap. not a thing in the world i can think of that would cause a problem if you use a cap.

not sure on the other questions. I'd be interested to know myself on those stress points. I can tell you though that if you DO have problems with the gun Taurus will fix it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
that has been my primary ccw gun for quite a while now, i switched from a 1911 as well, have had no issue's at all, i now have 5 taurus pistols, 4 of which serve full time as ccw for myself and wife, never had an issue w/ any of them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was very concerned about reliability when the gun wouldn't fire out of the box. However, since its return from Taurus, the gun is a real joy to shoot. I've put over 500 rounds through it with no problems. I love everything about it. I'm glad I bought it !!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Gunnut, Why wouldn't the gun fire straight from the box? I'm curious because I just received mine back from Taurus after 8 weeks. The barrel on mine would not fit a 45 bullet. Hard to imagine, but the barrel looked more like a 40. After Taurus replaced the barrel, all is well. I'm glad all is well with yours now.

Al

·
Administrator
18,108 Posts
With the slide retracted and locked back, check that there is an ejector extending from the slide boltface. If it is there, field strip the pistol and make sure that it is the proper length. If the ejector is not present, then you have your answer. If you are not sure of what the ejector configuration is supposed to be like, then have a local Gunsmith, familiar with the design, inspect your pistol. The dealer who sold you the pistol might also be of assistance, provided they are Knowledgable and not just salesman. Do not let them talk you into buying yet another gun, when the one they sold you, should work! (A common sales tactic.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Al, I'm only guessing here but my Pro would fire maybe one out of ten or more rounds. I wonder how many rounds they TEST fire. Every round went into the barrel on my gun. It just wouldn't let the slide go completely forward to allow the gun to fire. Maybe they put one round in and it fired so it passed. I'm thinking the barrel wasn't milled deep enough. Anyway it works great now. All's well that ends well. By the way I recievied a Taurus Catalog recently, that PT 745 Pro looks like a great conceal gun. What's the word on that gun. I'm becoming a Taurus fan, I like the way their pistolas and their revolvers look.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Gunnut said:
By the way I recievied a Taurus Catalog recently, that PT 745 Pro looks like a great conceal gun. What's the word on that gun.
I got the 745 in March to replace my P3AT as my primary CCW. I love the SA/DA trigger and the light weight of the gun. I went with the single stack because of the slimmer profile, although I still debate with myself whether I should've went with the 145.

I carry in a tuckable IWB, and it disappears in shorts & a Tee. My family doesn't even notice unless I point it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts