Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owner of a brand new 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP. I figured since it had a rail, why not mount a laser. Did so and took it to the range. Nothing but FTL's from both mags. One FTL'd alamost every round, the other every 3rd or 4th round.

I figured it needed wearing in so I struggled through about 150 rounds on my first visit. I went again today and had the same problem. So I had the smith look at it. Who kinda figured I was limp wristing it. :) So he fired 5 rounds and an FTL every time. He scratched his head and after some looking at the weapon, asked me to remove the laser and much to my surprise the FTL issues greatly reduced themselves.

It appears the extra weight in the front caused by the laser adds to the FTL issues. Thiis seems to also be a problem with Glock. He told me that Glock will ship you different springs that resolve the issue with their weapons if you put laser or light on.

Still, one of the 2 factory mags is horrible with anywhere from 50 to 75% FTL's. From what I can see, the rounds do not angle up far enough to get to the bottom of the feed ramp. Causing the FTL problems.

The other mag is far better but also has the same angle issue. Causing occasional FTL's.

I had the same problem with an 8 round mag for my 1911. Which also had the same style plastic follower. I'm figuring different springs or perhaps a different follower should be the solution to this..

FTR, I did take both mags apart and cleaned them. As well putting a light coating of oil on the inside.

Guess I better call Taurus and see what they can come up with to solve this. I do like this gun but the current unreliability does cause me considerable irritation.

·
Registered
663 Posts
mrBOFH said:
he fired 5 rounds and an FTL every time. He scratched his head and after some looking at the weapon, asked me to remove the laser and much to my surprise the FTL issues greatly reduced themselves.
Interesting and odd. Similarly, the only 2 failures (to eject) I've had were when I was resting the rail solidly on a ladder rung. I didn't do that any more and it didn't fail any more.

JimL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting that supporting the ront of the barrel also seems to contribute to FTL's. I did have the range master watch me fire and he confirmed I was not limp wristing it. I use my standard 'right hand on the grip, left hand below to support' stance. Which has never caused me a problem with any gun so far.

The fact that one mag has far fewer FTL issues makes me think it's the mags rather than the gun causing this issue...

What are you firing? I load with 230 FMJ's (mostly UMC Remington's) that always worked fine in my milspec 1911 A1. I get the same issues using CCI Blazer or WWB. I like the UMC as it's less dirty powder than the other two.

I'll get back when I get hold of Taurus and see what their response is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. I sent the mags back to Taurus, which they replaced but that didn't solve the problem. My dealer and I were comparing it to another 24/7 .45 he had in the shop, and discovered that the angle of the feed ramp, or I should say lack there of, could be the culprit. It didn't have enough angle on it to allow the round to chaimber.
It's at Taurus right now, and I'm confident it'll work when I get it back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ptwonloc, that you for that insight. My dealer did not have another one for us to compare but I will bring this up when I try and call Taurus tomorrow. As I said, I do like this gun, but it needs to be 100% reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Called Taurus today. They stated to send them one magazine and they will replace it with one that has a new design follower. If that resolves the issue, they will also replace the 2nd magazine.

The tech guy was very surprised by the issues with the laser I was having. and stated that if the new mags would not resolve this issue 100%, to send in the gun as he thought something might be awry with the slide.

I'll send the mag of and see what comes of it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looking forward to hearing how well Taurus's new followers work for you. I am about ready to send one of my mags in to them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a feeding problem similar to the one you are describing. It would feed 185 grn JHP great but with 230 grn FMJ it was another story. Every couple of rounds the nose wouldn't come up and the slide would jam. I bought two new mags and they fixed the problem. The pistol now feeds both without a hickup. The mag springs must be a little week. They can't push up the 230 grn fast enough. I also mounted a laser on the front rail. I haven't had any gun related problems at all. The problem came from the cheap junk laser. It died after only a few rounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts