Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got 2 new 17 round mags for 24/7. Mags are TAURUS not aftermarket. Immediate problems:
1. They do NOT fill up to 17 rounds. One fills up to 15 only, another only to 16.
2. NEITHER ONE OF THEM LOCK IN WHEN LOADED. They do lock in fine when empty.

This is garbage. I am starting to regret getting Taurus gun. Never had problems like this with CZ, Glock or even cheap Turkish Zigana. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
Being that you have a really low post count, I am going to hazard a guess that you are new here?

OSS is one of the better poly auto pistols on the market and, although they are no longer made, they are usually in great demand. The OSS was one the competitors in the SOCOM poly high cap .45 Auto competition (that Congress halted) and was acquitting itself quite well in all areas, some reports were that it might even have been leading the competition when the tests were stopped. The other pistols in that competition were the HK USP, S&W M&P, and the Springfield Armory XD. So it was among good company.

You appear to be commenting about the 9mm version of the OSS (magazine round count). Taurus10's comments address the magazines quite well and leaving them loaded for a while will help. Until the mag springs relax a little, I would suggest you either load the magazine while the slide is locked back, or slam the magazine into the well with a little muscle as you apparently were not pushing them in with enough force to overcome the magazine spring and engaging the magazine release into the slots on the magazine. When releasing the slide either pull the slide back as far as you can and let go, or use the slide release lever. The slide release lever and the magazine release button can be hard to move until the pistol is broken in (usually 200-300 rounds). Also you might want to work on having a firm grip so as to avoid the "limp wrist" syndrome that can cause an auto pistol to malfunction.

·
Registered
21,219 Posts
The 17 round mags from Taurus (my PT809) come with some damn stiff springs. I bought mine new and it came with a load assist device that I used for the first 75 rounds or so and yes to have to seat the mag not in a half ass manner. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Reactions: lonestarbandit

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm a Taurus fan, and I LOVE my 24/7 OSS. I will admit though, Taurus mags don't always load as consistently as they should. What I have found helps with both my PT111 mags and my OSS mags is to load until it feels mostly full. At that point, wrap your hand around the mag and place your index finger along the top round (pointing the direction the round would feed). Tap the base plate of the mag VERY firmly on the heel of your other hand. For me, at least, this helps to stagger the rounds correctly if they got out of sequence when loading (due to follower tilt). This is the cause of the mags not loading to capacity. If my description isn't clear, let me know and I will post a pic of what I'm talking about.

If that does not work, and you are not happy with the gun, let me know what you want for it. I would love another!

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
Just got 2 new 17 round mags for 24/7. Mags are TAURUS not aftermarket. Immediate problems:
1. They do NOT fill up to 17 rounds. One fills up to 15 only, another only to 16.
2. NEITHER ONE OF THEM LOCK IN WHEN LOADED. They do lock in fine when empty.
This is garbage. I am starting to regret getting Taurus gun. Never had problems like this with CZ, Glock or even cheap Turkish Zigana. Any suggestions?
Yep! get an uplula magazine loader, only a savage would attempt to load any semi pistol magazine without one!
regardless of brand gun or magazine!--is is mandatory?--NO! is it sensible?--Yes!
second become familiar with how to seat a magazine properly in a semi auto weapon, third remember that this is a new weapon and built with a certain amount of wear expected as its used.

Reactions: Three Percent

·
Super Moderator
22,854 Posts
Also clean and inspect your mags I have ordered several mags from Taurus and even with the ones sealed with vacuum plastic and cardboard they all seem to have a waxy film on the inside and I have found burs on the followers that just needs to be knocked of with some sand paper or small file. I to agree on loading with the Uplula and keeping them fully loaded. After a few hundred rounds they should be perfect. Taurus mags are not the only mags I have had problems with and after a full cleaning and storage they run the same as Taurus.

I would also like to say the OSS is a great gun and is often sought after. They were in competition for the Government contract before it was killed by Congress and was performing very well. Which says a lot in my book. To be compared to the other ones in the top four.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Had the same problem with my M&P 9c just had to give them a little time to break inn once they did they took all 12 rounds but it took a week or two!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Plus 1 to all the above comments. I am sure you will become satisfied once the mags loosen up!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plus 1 to all the above comments. I am sure you will become satisfied once the mags loosen up!
ok, folks, thanx. Just to make it clear. I have NO problems with the pistol itself or 3 mags it came with. Is it as good as cz75 or cz82? No. Is it as good as glock 17 or g34? no. I do like it better than Zigana T or springfield xd. Especially since I paid 350 for it. The issue is with 2 mags I got today from CDNN. Paid 35 for each too:-(((.
Same yellow followers as old ones. Got them new, in package. For some reason they do not work as good as mags that came with gun. Should I send them back to CDNN or Taurus? I do not wish to me hit with more rip off shipping charges. But if I pay 35 per mag +10 shipping I expect them to work, just like Cz75 mags worked, Glock mags worked. All of these took 17 or 16 (cz75) rounds and locked up when fully loaded. One of the "new" taurus 24/7 mags has follower front tilted upward at higher angle then the rest of the mags I have... So I am rather frustrated. I paid more for these mags then Glock mags cost, but they do not perform

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
$350 is a great price on the OSS as I can not remember seeing one under $400.

If you bought the mags direct from Taurus they should pick up the shipping. Of the pistols you mentioned, my personal opinion is that only the XD is even in the same class. I like the CZ-75 but it is all steel.

If you don't like your OSS, put it up for sale. For $350 I am sure someone will want to snap it up.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Send them to Taurus, mag's are covered under lifetime warranty, but I'd give them a little more time. I think they'll come around with a little use. All 4 of the 17 rnd 24/7 mags I use in my PT111 have been prefect, going to try to talk down my local dealer that still has a 9mm OSS.

Taurus mag cost does suck, but remember they have a lifetime warranty. Love the Khan's for my glock, work perfect and I think it was $7 a mag.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Yup. New mags are really stiff.
I couldn't get 17 in mine either when new.
Coming up on 2 years and no trouble with 17 now, although the last 2 do need a bit more pressure to insert.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
There is some excellent info on here. The Uplula magazine loader will definitely be your best friend when you pick one up. Yes the springs are stiff. Load and unload them over the course of a few days leaving them loaded when you are not working them by unloading. You can also put a pencil, eraser side down, on top of the follower and push it up and down. The springs break in when they are compressed and released. When you introduce a loaded magazine into the gun, with the slide closed, the rounds are being pushed down a little more. If you do load it with the slide locked back, it is a little easier. Don't be afraid to smack it with the heel of your hand, either, as suggested. And finally, that gun will go quickly on here if you want to sell it. Always somebody looking to get one. I love mine in .45 and it is second only to my PT1911.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Very good suggestions in a short period of time, especially the Uplula and break in period. If you think that Taurus has lived up to it's bad reputation, that is your opinion. You have been a member of TA.net since 2007, I am sure that you did not get that opinion from this forum. Give it a chance for a week or so. Have you fired the pistol yet?

·
Registered
526 Posts
As stated, you need to break in the mags before saying they are junk. My first XD had the same issue, as did my XDm and even my USP to a lesser extent. Sometimes springs are REALLY tough at first and the last round or two feels impossible to get in. If the last round is impossible to get in, then they wont compress enough to insert the mag completely either...so thats the cause of both your issues right there.
Annnnd as a couple others have said, if that still doesnt work for ya, Ill be glad to take it off your hands =)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Like said above... Uplula, load-em up and leave-em.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If you don't want it, I do. Otherwise give it a chance to break in, after all it's like a new car they always run better and last longer with proper break in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.