Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .40 24/7 OSS - at the range, it's very accurate and it eats cheap ammo with ease. I *really* wanted to shoot it in action pistol...but the trigger feels so mushy and the pull is so long that, when I tried it today in an action pistol practice, I really struggled. (I've used a Rock Island 1911, Glock 34, and EAA Witness Steel...so that's what I've got to compare it to.)

Is there a way to make the trigger pull shorter or make it feel more crisp? Or is this something that I'll easily get used to?

(I'm a novice, so nobody that reads this post should take this as though there is necessarily a problem with the 24/7.)

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Are you shooting it with the first shot in Double action? (racking the slide then using the decocker before fireing) If so I can see that. I like the DA pull from a first shot in a self defense situation, but I can see how it would be a pain in competition.

My recomendation would be fire a few hundered more rounds and see what you think. Just my 2 cents. Maybe the others here will disagree.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net!

I think you'll get used to the trigger on the OSS in due time.

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
How many rounds have you run thru it? Do give the Trigger some time to wear in before you go messing with it! Both of my 24/7's took about 200 rounds or less, before they wore into their crisp nature. You'll wear into the Gun as well! In general, it will be about 500 rounds of live fire before break-in is complete and that is generally true of most handguns.

I also have four Tanfoglio Witnesses and kind of know where you are coming from Trigger Wise. 24/7's are a different breed and will take a bit of getting used to, but it will be worth the journey!

I have shot my 24/7's in USPSA/IPSC Matches and they do very well. Have shot the .45 24/7 OSS in Limited-10 and the 9mm 24/7 Pro in Limited. I recommend you shoot your .40 24/7 OSS in Limited-10 and start from the Decocked Position or Cocked and Locked, depending upon your personal carry mode. I start DA first shot, safety off, as that is how I would carry my .45 24/7 OSS. The 9mm 24/7 Pro must be started Cocked and Locked as this Pistol is not DA first shot capable.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Theres alot of take up on the trigger that has no slack, but it should break free crisply. It also has a short reset on it. If you want speed find where it resets and it should be very easy to get fast, accurate shots with it.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The long take up is a necessity for the "second strike" capability of the 24/7. That first trigger pull is going to have the long take up, but if you haven't de-cocked after racking the slide, the trigger should be fairly crisp after the take up(not a 1911, but not bad either). You mentioned you are a novice, so I will explain reset - if you already understand it, sorry. After that first trigger pull, you only have to release the trigger until you feel a little "click" - on my OSS it's about 3/16". At that point, the trigger is ready to be pulled again. You can check this by clearing the weapon of course, then dry firing once and while holding the trigger back, rack the slide, then slowly release the trigger till it clicks...that is your trigger pull after the first round.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am still "learning" this trigger as well. So what you are saying is that I need to shoot my gun more. OK, if that's what the Doctor ordered!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts