Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Taurus 24/7 OSS that I've had since it was released; I waited and watched for months for the release of the gun so I could get one (wish I had gotten 3 or 4 now). The only problem is that I don't have enough magazines for it. Are there any after-market manufacturers making 24/7 G1 magazines?

·
Registered
37,123 Posts
If you own a Taurus semi auto its a great idea to try to find extra mags as fast as you can.
to my knowledge no one makes mags for the 24/7 gen 1.
if you don't know the gun takes the same mags as the other gen 1 's in the 24/7 line except the compact , which is to short to lock up.
there is even a California compliant 10 round 24/7 mag that will work, just less capacity.
hope this helps some.

Reactions: Levant and Taurus10

·
Registered
889 Posts
Welcome to the Board...Those Mags are hard to find, As stated check the Classifieds here from time to time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Para Ordinance P14's will work. I have 2: Mec Gar and Pro Mag.
The MecGar cost $10 more (Cheaper Than Dirt) but the Pro Mag works better.
I'd only use either for the range, though.
I have a P13 so if they didn't work for the Taurus I could still use them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 4 mags. I've recently set my standard at 8 mags for any handgun - one for in the gun, two for belt carry, and five for a multi-carrier for backup/range. Probably not quite bad enough situation that I'd try the Para Ordinance unless they're reliable enough for carry. This has definitely taught me the importance ordering all the mags you may possibly want along, or near-time, with ordering the gun.

Not a 24/7 issue, and I'll post it in the 92 forum, I did find a cache of very difficult to find 16-round mags for the PT100P and quickly stocked up so I got lucky on that one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Like Superzuki said the para ordnance oem magazines work just fine p12,p13,p14 same with mec gar p14 I use all of those in my millennium pt145 pro

Reactions: Superzuki

·
Registered
96 Posts
I usually take 30 15 rounders to the range with me for my OSS .40 ca 24/7. I hate paying range time to stand there and reload and the mags will probably never go down in value, perhaps even appreciate. You can never have too many. I just do a google search every once and a while and pick up 1 or 2 at a time.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Old thread, but the Mec-Gar mags for the Para-Ordnance P12, P13 & P4 are still readily available and quite affordable.

·
Registered
88 Posts
UPDATE 10-21: I finally got around to field testing the P13, and it will not reliably feed ammo into my 24/7 Pro. I would avoid these as I now have like $20 worth of paperweights.

FYI: I got P12 and P13 mags for $10 each new via a web search (not sure on naming vendors here). I did not try a P14 since the vendor did not have any. I'll insert some pics with text from test fits with a 24/7 Pro. Here are my observations:
The P12 mag-
It is too short for the PT24/7 Pro (won't latch in or feed).
It does fit into (tight) and feed the PT145. The below mag plate retainer bump does not seem to be an issue.

The P13 mag-
This has a bump on the mag plate that hits the frame of the gun, pushing the plate forward.
Like the P12, the fit is really tight.
It does feed OK.

The retention notch seems to be in about the same spot, but I'd guess it is a small fraction of an inch lower, as it is an effort to get it to latch in.

IMO, to get this to work with my gun, I'd have to grind a relief in the frame at the bottom. Not worth it for a +1 capacity.

The P14 being longer may not have any of these issues.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I never noticed that about the bump on the P13 mags. In my PT145, there's no issue since the grip is shorter. I took a look at my Para mags and found that the 12 and 13 have that bump, while the 14 has a completely different floorplate design. Rather than securing the floorplate with the rear tab that hooks onto the back of the mag (the bump), the P14 mags have a push-button on the bottom of the floorplate. I also noticed that my 12 and 13 mags are branded with the Para logo, while the 14s are branded Mec-Gar. So, I don't know if the difference in the floor plate is due to the model of the mag or to the way Para wanted Mec-Gar to make these specific mags.

I imagine you could buy a 14 and swap out the floorplates. That way you wouldn't have the bump on the shorter mag, and the bump on the longer mag wouldn't matter, since it would be below the grip.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well, it turns out that it's not as easy to swap parts as I had supposed. There are more differences in the mag designs than I realized.

The floorplates will swap easily, but...

The 14 mags have a notch at the front of the mag that a tab on the floorplate retainer fits into.

Since the 13 mags don't have said notch, you'd have either cut a notch in the mag body or cut the little tab off the front of the floorplate retainer.

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable removing that tab, since it's there to keep the retainer oriented correctly. Also, the springs are shaped differently. The retainer seems to lock into the more rectangular spring of the 13 just fine, but it only engages the spring in the sides. The oval spring of the 14 locks onto the retainer 360 degrees.

So, it may be that the best solution would be to get the P14 mags and let them hang out the bottom.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find some inexpensive P14 mags. I have some time on my hands and a shop, so if I can make one out of two that may be an option.

·
Registered
88 Posts
UPDATE- Avoid all of these mags! I took the P13 to the range and it would not reliably feed ammo regardless of how many rounds were in it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts