Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
first off i want to say i am by far nowhere close to being an expert, i am very much considered a rookie when it comes to firearms

ill bring you up to speed. bought this gun used about a month ago. the first day i shot it i didnt have any problems with it. i noticed when i had the magazine full of rounds, and in the gun, when i would pull it back to rack it, the slide would lock, and i would then release the slide to load into the barell. which seemed normal to me well the other day i went to go shooting and i had very weird but frustrating problems

when i would now load the gun with rounds in the magazine, and when i went to rack it the slide will not now lock and will just load the round for me without having to release the slide, i feel it want to catch but it just doesnt. althought it does lock open when the magazine is empty still. and now when i shoot it seems to spray rounds all over the place. up down left right, just everywhere. i kept sighting in on the same spot on the target and noticed it went everywhere. i do notice, that if i have the gun emptied out and lock the slide "open" that i can wiggle the barrel some. and when the slide is released or "closed" i can feel a very tiny amount of movement in the barrel. is that enough to cause my problems. or what else should i be looking at? is it possible that big spring that holds the barrel in is worn and causing some play in here?? i honestly dont know what to look for here. and im also curious whats up with the slide action lockign when loading the weapon before, and now it doesnt

·
Registered
460 Posts
That's odd. You might want to send it to Taurus to have it looked at

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i dont know whats going on. between the 2 times of me shooting it, i just field stripped and cleaned. i didnt go digging in there or anything. just a simple wipe down and gentle oiling. what does it cost to send it in to taurus

·
Registered
27,632 Posts
I'm going to jump in with clean it - and don't be gentle.
The OSS was made in Brazil and often came with a thick coating of a grease that has a consistency somewhere between Cosmoline and concrete.
Check out these threads:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/24-7-series/35087-removing-24-7-pro-firing-pin.html
and if you still have a problem:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/24-7-series/42630-detail-strip-bottom-half-24-7-pro-9mm.html
Only if those procedures don't work would I consider that you might have a problem.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
first off i want to say i am by far nowhere close to being an expert, i am very much considered a rookie when it comes to firearms

ill bring you up to speed. bought this gun used about a month ago. the first day i shot it i didnt have any problems with it. i noticed when i had the magazine full of rounds, and in the gun, when i would pull it back to rack it, the slide would lock, and i would then release the slide to load into the barell. which seemed normal to me well the other day i went to go shooting and i had very weird but frustrating problems

when i would now load the gun with rounds in the magazine, and when i went to rack it the slide will not now lock and will just load the round for me without having to release the slide, i feel it want to catch but it just doesnt. althought it does lock open when the magazine is empty still. and now when i shoot it seems to spray rounds all over the place. up down left right, just everywhere. i kept sighting in on the same spot on the target and noticed it went everywhere. i do notice, that if i have the gun emptied out and lock the slide "open" that i can wiggle the barrel some. and when the slide is released or "closed" i can feel a very tiny amount of movement in the barrel. is that enough to cause my problems. or what else should i be looking at? is it possible that big spring that holds the barrel in is worn and causing some play in here?? i honestly dont know what to look for here. and im also curious whats up with the slide action lockign when loading the weapon before, and now it doesnt
IF I understand you correctly - Your initial slide locking open with a full magazine when racking is the anomaly - the not locking open upon racking a full mag and locking back when mag empty is the correct operation.

As for the barrel movement - when slide is locked back the barrel has much movement and is normal. When the slide moves into battery the barrel is locked in place by slide and breech - any movement at this point is barely perceptible and with pressure can show slight movement - at least with all my pistols and normal IMO. If your barrel is slopping around (lots of movement) when in battery I would suspect something is amiss. If the pistol firing functions properly - fire, eject spent, loads new round, locks back on empty mag, it's good to go.

As for accuracy, would recommend shooting from fixed rest to be sure it's the pistol and not the shooter - before spending a lot of money ($50-$75) returning to Taurus for repair that MAY not be needed.

That's my input - someone else may having something to add or correct anything I've said if misleading.

·
Registered
24,850 Posts
IF I understand you correctly - Your initial slide locking open with a full magazine when racking is the anomaly - the not locking open upon racking a full mag and locking back when mag empty is the correct operation.

As for the barrel movement - when slide is locked back the barrel has much movement and is normal. When the slide moves into battery the barrel is locked in place by slide and breech - any movement at this point is barely perceptible and with pressure can show slight movement - at least with all my pistols and normal IMO. If your barrel is slopping around (lots of movement) when in battery I would suspect something is amiss. If the pistol firing functions properly - fire, eject spent, loads new round, locks back on empty mag, it's good to go.

As for accuracy, would recommend shooting from fixed rest to be sure it's the pistol and not the shooter - before spending a lot of money ($50-$75) returning to Taurus for repair that MAY not be needed.

That's my input - someone else may having something to add or correct anything I've said if misleading.
What he says is correct. The slide should lock back only when the mag is empty.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Do field strip it again and clean it with Gun Scrubber or CLP - both sold at Wal-Mart. Take the magazines apart and clean them too. Do not put oil on them. The slide should not lock back when you pull the slide back with rounds in the magazine. Maybe you had your thumb resting on the lever when you pulled it back the first time at the range. Once the gun is cleaned and lubed up, take it back to the range and shoot it again, from a rest as suggested to make sure it isn't just you. Double check that the sight screws are tight - front and rear. This can cause shots going in different places too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

ok i greatly appreciate your input on this matter. so my gun is acting normall then being as it is not locking open when racking with a full mag. now that brings up the point as to why it did lock open with a full magazine then. maybe it had a piece of dirt or a foreign contaminate that i clean out when i cleaned it, and now causes it to act normal? who will ever know

as far as the barrel now. i guess thats acting normal as well. your right i feel tiny movements in the barrel when in the battery position, i did apply some pressure to it to feel it. so haha i guess my gun is normal. ill have to find a local range to me and see about loading it into a fixed rest and see what it does from there. i feel realyl stupid right now haha. but i guess thats how i learn.

·
Registered
27,632 Posts
ok i greatly appreciate your input on this matter. so my gun is acting normall then being as it is not locking open when racking with a full mag. now that brings up the point as to why it did lock open with a full magazine then. maybe it had a piece of dirt or a foreign contaminate that i clean out when i cleaned it, and now causes it to act normal? who will ever know

as far as the barrel now. i guess thats acting normal as well. your right i feel tiny movements in the barrel when in the battery position, i did apply some pressure to it to feel it. so haha i guess my gun is normal. ill have to find a local range to me and see about loading it into a fixed rest and see what it does from there. i feel realyl stupid right now haha. but i guess thats how i learn.
The only stupid ones are those who don't ask questions. And they wind up selling their guns to us cheap -- so we like them OK too! :D

·
Registered
8,801 Posts

I really like your PT24/7 OSS DS and it's in my favorite caliber .40S&W. If you ever decide to sell it, let me know first. LOL

I see in other T-A forum post that many have already recommend you get some training in firearm use, and I will echo that sentiment. I've own pistols, revolvers and shotguns all my adult life. Several years ago when I decided to return to pistol shooting for leisure after many years of just plinking with revolver in the field, I took a safety/defensive course with an instructor just to get me comfortable again with pistols, correct grip and stance, two hand, one hand, off hand, home defense - it was well worth the money. The next step was to get my CCW license and I did. At the time Texas had a ten hour course requirement for CHL - while it was a bit long the instruction was well worth the time spent.

So practice, practice, practice. I believe you'll find the OSS is a very accurate pistol as you become more proficient with it. Enjoy and stay safe.

BTW, do as HD-Mike said regarding being sure sight screws are not loose. I lost front and rear sights on my PT24/7CA cause I didn't check - been waiting about 4 months for the front from Taurus.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
BTW, do as HD-Mike said regarding being sure sight screws are not loose. I lost front and rear sights on my PT24/7CA cause I didn't check - been waiting about 4 months for the front from Taurus.
You were my inspiration Wino when I told him to check his set screws!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts