Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to concealed carry and trying to decide which model to buy.

I like the way the 24/7 feels in my hand, but am concerned about the size of it. On the flip side, my hand is large and the grip on the PT-111 is just a tad too short.

So, hopefully this isn't a stupid question...does the larger size of the 24/7 make much of a difference when concealing compared to the PT-111?

Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I love my 24/7 .45 but I doubt I could conceal it very well. If I didn't have to bend/lean over or do anything but stand still it wouldn't be a problem ;) But maybe that's just me. I don't want to wear bigger clothes just to carry a certain gun. I'd rather buy a smaller gun that fits my hand well enough (no matter who makes it) that I could make disappear easily as my main carry gun and have another larger pistol glove box/house duty.

·
Administrator
40,090 Posts
Smaller almost always conceals better. But whether it's comfortable in your hand or not is also a consideration.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a PT111 Pro and it conceals well for me. I am a bigger guy and thought the grip was a bit small at first, but now that I have shot it awhile and carried I have come to like it.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I also own the PT111, I have not handled the 24/7. But for concealed carry I know there are rigs that will let you carry the 24/7 and not show. Of course the different clothing option would help that.

I think with one of the no imprint pocket holsters, I could carry the PT111 in even a jeans pocket. Might not be comfortable, but would not show. I have both an IWB, and a paddle OWB, and if I am desparate I have a shoulder rig, that works pretty good, now that I figured out how to wear and adjust it.

You want one hard to carry, and conceal, but will get attention, just carry The Judge !! We are an open carry state, so during the summer and fall I openly carried it in a BIG holster.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have just purchased the 24/7 and I would recommend it to anyone. I love this gun and even thought it is a little bigger it is still worth it. Have you looked at the smaller compact verson of the 24/7?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went ahead and bought the 24/7 Pro this afternoon...I loved how it felt in my hand and couldn't resist ;)

As far as concealing it, I don't think I want to go IWB...my pants fit snug enough as it is. But if someone has good suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the 24/7 Pro Compact. 3.3 inch barrel instead of 4", its not too bad in trying to conceal, I won't buy a concealed holster until I get my license though, that way I'm not tempted to break the law.

·
Registered
663 Posts
VA Caver said:
I don't think I want to go IWB...my pants fit snug enough as it is. But if someone has good suggestions,
I have a 24/7 Pro .45. I'm definitely no exspurt on this, but I've found my kydex IWB works very nicely behind the belt without going completely inside the trousers. Since it is an exposed muzzle holster the lower end doesn't print like with a muzzle-covered holster. You may need a bit longer belt, but that's no biggie.

JimL

·
Registered
159 Posts
Robby said:
But for concealed carry I know there are rigs that will let you carry the 24/7 and not show.
Do you have any links to those types of holsters? I've looked at a bunch online but don't know enough about any of them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about a link to someplace that carries the Kydex? I did a Google on it and didn't see anything.

JimL: Which model holster do you have?

·
Registered
663 Posts
VA Caver said:
How about a link to someplace that carries the Kydex? I did a Google on it and didn't see anything.

JimL: Which model holster do you have?
Wellllll.......... Actually I don't have a clue. I bought it used on eBay. The seller didn't know the name and I bought it very cheap based on the description and picture.

I can describe it. It is made of thin, heat formed kydex in two pieces. The outer piece wraps around the front of the gun holder piece and is formed into 1 1/2 inch belt loops at each extended end. The loops are about 6 inches apart, giving a total length along the belt of 6 1/2 inches.

The inner part is 4 inches high, wraps around the gun including the trigger area and has an indention that grips the trigger loop - plus, it has a 2 inch extension up behind (only) the slide, giving protection to your clothes or skin. Where the rear edges come together there are rubber grommets holding them apart. Screws through the grommets adjust the tension on the trigger loop. These same screws also fasten the front part of the holster to the back part.

The "bad" news: This holster is NOT made for the 24/7 and doesn't give a perfect fit.

The good news: Since the material is thin I was able to heat it up with a heat gun and press it around the gun to make a better fit.

I'll get on Google and see if I can find it.

JimL

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JimL: I found a site with those holsters, but none are for 24/7's. It seems they mainly make them for Glock's and 1911's.

·
Registered
663 Posts
VA Caver said:
JimL: I found a site with those holsters, but none are for 24/7's. It seems they mainly make them for Glock's and 1911's.
Yes, that's what I said. They don't fit the 24/7 perfectly, but I heated mine and got a nice fit.

But apparently you can't even get them now. This is one of the Predator holsters, and Predator seems to have gone out of business, best I can tell. At least the original Predator site http://www.predator-holsters.com/, is no longer. And Google references to sellers with Predator holsters are devoid of them.

BTW, where did you find it? I found one picture of a left handed version on eBay, but it is a very poor, out-of-focus picture taken with the holster inside a plastic bag and a big light flare right in the middle of it.

JimL

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dunno...not knowing squat about concealing is probably making me feel stupid, but it seems an IWB would be painful, what with your weapon jabbing you in the waist. But like I said, I don't know squat...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Doesn't seem to jab me in the waist but does put pressure on my hip. And I've got plenty of overhang. Concealed carry is about compromise. Best place would be like the military at mid thigh. Gunslinger style would be next, just a little higher. LEO's are next, much higher but still OWB. The only problem is a CCW permit means concealed. OWB requires a cover garment. Not hard during the winter, out of place and hot to wear during the summer for most of the country.

IWB is for most people the easyest to carry all day and keep concealed and still be able to get to if needed. A belly band or smartcarry work but take a little longer to get to. Mexican carry (11 O'clock) and the small of the back can work, just don't sit down. Shoulder rigs seem to be for movies.

Now if you can carry openly, strap that puppy to your leg GI Joe style or OWB with no cover garment are great. Doesn't work here on the East Coast near big cities. Could be a hassle with citizens and LEO's even though legal here in Delaware.

Like I said, it's all about compromise. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts