Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local shop has a PT 945 for sale owner says he's shot about 2 boxes of WWB wants to sell to buy a scope for his AR-15. Would I be better off buying the used PT 945 or a new 24/7 in 45. Already have a millenium pro in .45. Problem I have is the price is $425.00 for a used 945 $350.00 for used 24/7 pro in .40cal w/5 mags

·
32,647 Posts
Now here's a project. :) Welcome to the forums. ;D

This one's easy. Maybe. :)

Do you have any shooting experience with handguns and if you do what action type? Traditional Double action/Single Action or are you familiar with the DAO type triggers?
There are pros and cons to both trigger action types.

DA/SA means the first shot is a hard double action trigger pull with all shots after that with a light single action trigger pull until shooting is over, gun is decocked(hammer lowered) safely.

These take getting used to as to how much pressure is needed for the long hard DA trigger pull and then transitioning over to the light SA trigger pull. Training takes dedication,practice, and experience. Not real hard to learn, but still needs to be worked on to stay proficient.

If you have no or some experience with DA/SA triggers may be the way to go. Get the PT945.

DAO triggers take more persistence and practice, but are similar to a light,long double action revolver trigger pull. The mechanics of the revolver trigger and the pistol are completley different in operation, but the smoothness and lightness both remain.

One has to forget everything they know about shooting DA/SA pistols and use a whole new mindset.
Tough to do and can be done. Techniques and practice will take care of that.
If you dedicate yourself totally to the DAO trigger ( Yes, I realize that this is a SA/DA trigger, but still is a DAO concept), then the 24/7 is the way to go.

.40S&W guns have a little more snap in recoil, more velocity over the .45ACP, and the round is loaded to a higher pressure for the middle weight bullets. The 180gr. 40 caliber rounds would in theory behave like .45ACP rounds. About the same weight. This is as far as 180 gr.- .40 S&W and 185gr. -.45ACP rounds go.

Not necessarily a major difference here,but needs to be considered.

One last thing.
These are both used guns. Buyer beware applies here.

Both these pistols may be in very good or lousy shape. No way to know what the past history of the guns is. Whether these guns were well taken care of or abused.

Very careful examination of the innards workings, and parts will be needed.
Someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in this kind of thing should examine the gun to see that it is in working order and in good condition.

Do not just jump at the chance to buy these guns because "this is a once in lifetime" or" they won't last long and others will get them before you do", as will be presented to you by the sales staff. Take your time or walk away from them.

How the gun grip,trigger reach, and the gun fits you are the big parts of the equation. Hand size and type figure in here. If you have any trouble reaching the trigger with the pad or the joint of the trigger finger look for something else.

Big hands and ,or long fingers could mean the trigger will be too short.

Having someone who is accreditted or very familiar with handguns,without brand bias or prejudice, to help you select the gun is a big help.

Keep us posted please on how this all turns out.

·
32,647 Posts
You do already have the Millenium Pro version as you have stated. Since there is prior experience with the DAO trigger concept it is easier to become and stay proficient with a 24/7.

A lot of what was written above was for your's and other's public consumption.
Otherwise itwould have been easier to just tell you to go with the 24/7,despite the price difference, because of familiarity.

Having to re think ones mindset between gun types can be a handicap. If you want things simple, the 24/7 is the answer. If dedication to different manual of arms doesn't bother you, then go with the 945.

The used gun factor does figure in though. Might be in good condition...... and then again it might be not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have shot the 945, it fit's funny in my hand... But if you like that one, you wouldn't have to buy mutiple calibers of ammo.

Also, that price for the 945 seems high, doesn't it???

·
32,647 Posts
Seriously, why worry about the price if he were to get a 24/7 in .45ACP. Then you have two pistols alike in just about every way and no caliber ammo problems to worry about.

If having a .40S&W 24/7 doesn't matter as far as the caliber , then go for it.
But a few extra dollars would get you a new 24/7 in .45ACP as opposed to have to deal with used guns and all the possible trouble points that can come up the road later.

Recoil springs and other parts may need replacing in the used guns. Common occurence. More money out of your pocket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The price for a used 945 is a bit high. Other than that I am a fan of the 945 and it is one of my most accurate hand guns. The single action trigger pull is very light.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The good thing is...either way new or used you get the same warrenty from Taurus so "if" anything happend to either one you would be ok

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are going with the 945, $425 is a little high. He will have a hard time finding a buyer. Offer him $350 and see.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Do not just jump at the chance to buy these guns because "this is a once in lifetime" or" they won't last long and others will get them before you do", as will be presented to you by the sales staff. Take your time or walk away form them.
Great point Qwiks draw...buyers remorse is an ugly feeling. Even when I find a gun I know I'd like to have, walking away and giving yourself an evening to weigh out the pros & cons of a purchase instead of making the decision in 5 minutes is well worth it. May open up another, and better, door too ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts