Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just bought a used 24/7 in 45 caliber.
He is experiencing 3-4 misfires per clip. It looks like the primer is hit nomally on the ones that fire, but there is barely a dent on the misfires. ???

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this problem?
Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've seen this happen a lot with Magtech ammo and sometimes even Winchester White box in both my Taurus and my SIG. Almost always fires on the second strike. Never had an issue withe defense ammo - just some of the cheaper practice plinking kinds.

·
32,614 Posts
Several things come to mind if this is a used gun. The firing pin channel might need cleaning to get the crud out that could have built up over time. Toothpicks, a solvent patch, or a dental pick would help to scrap that area out. Work the solvent patch into the firing pin hole. Scrapping gently with either the toothpick with a drop of solvent on it or the dental pick in the channel will also get the buildup out. Do not lube this area. Magazine problems come next. Weak magazine springs, since this is a used pistol, may need replacing with new ones. Magazine guides and plugs may be another problem area. Have the magazines ever been taken apart and cleaned? If not then that will need to be done as well. Was the pistol broken down and taken apart and cleaned prior to shooting the first time or at all? These are all minor problems with minor maintenance fixes that should get the gun back up and running. After the questions have been answered,then we can be more helpful. Was the gun lubed lightly per manual instructions or experience? Could be these things or possibly others.

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
The Firing Pin Channel may also be cleaned out by Flushing the SLide Boltface Firing Pin Hole with Non-Chlorinated Disc Brake Cleaner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the resonses.
We've cleaned and lubed the gun 3 times. The result is the same - misfires.
We cleaned out the firing pin hole as well.

I haven't checked the clip yet. How does the clip effect the function of the firing pin?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The width of the lips on the magazines can affect almost anything to do with feeding... holding onto the cartridge too long, releasing too quick. One way to check is the swap with someone who isn't having problems with mags... if it is the mag, their gun should begin to exhibit problems and yours should clear up... then you begin trying to swap!

This is where the lifetime waranty comes in handy... didn't know that Taurus began the process.

·
32,614 Posts
Remember folks that any type of petroleum based cleaner from Birchwood Gun Scrubber to carb cleaner or such, can not only discolor any polymer, but does destroy the polymer as well. Same thing for petroleum based gun cleaning solvents. Check the contents on the label before using any cleaner or solvent on polymer frames. Would not recommend using the spray cleaners or solvents for cleaning out the firing pin channel on polymer framed guns for that reason. One last question. Are there any firing pin indentations or marks on the primer or the cartridge brass itself?

·
Registered
174 Posts
the wolf ammo doesn't surprise me a whole lot, but if the blazer is new, that has not been my experience, i cleaned out all my old 45 rounds that has been accumulating over time and put it through the 24/7. i had a 20 plus year supply of stuff that my 1911 didn't like. i had the FTF happen on some of the old stuff, but in D/A mode all but two fired, i couldn't get any of it to jam, and my 1911 would not even chamber some of the really ugly re-load stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are very slight dents in the primers of the misfires.
The primers on the ones that fire are hit very hard - nice deep dent in the primer.

The brass appeared normal on both misfires and fires.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Since the gun was used, you "might" consider if the striker spring may be weak or impeaded. Check out the smithing section for ideas on stripping the slide. The good news is that the "captive spring assembly" only costs a $1... the bad news is I ordered an extra one before Christmas and I've got to call them back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts