Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
24/7 Pro Compact, .40 S&W.

Today while I was at the range I had an unusual problem, while shooting the magazines would fall free of the gun. At first I thought I was hitting the mag release so I changed my grip (thumb & pointer off the gun) and the magazine still fell free. Thinking it might be a magazine problem I switched magazines, still happened. Again, I thought the grip might be the problem, so I changed my grip again, thumb and pointer off the grip no fingers near the release and it still fell free. Has anybody else had this problem? What was the solution? I am going to call Taurus Monday, but if somebody knows how to fix the problem I'm all ears.

Thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Have you made a visual inspection of the magazine release components inside the handle? Might be something going on with the spring, or perhaps the magazines are catching on something and will not lock in place all the way.

Good luck, keep us posted! I'm curious about what the cause might be.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It is the Magazine catch.  I just had the same problem.  Call Taurus and they will mail a new one to you.  You can change it easy as pie.  You don't have to send the gun to Taurus and wait 6 weeks.  See the instructions Draeger put up at the top of the Smithing section of this forum.  It gives detail instructions on how to remove and replace the mag catch.  That is how I learned it and can now change the mag catch with just my index finger as a tool in under 5 minutes.  Now my PT145 works flawless and the mag stays in place.  Somewhere in this section I also wrote instructions how to dremmel the mag catch you have now to make a slight adjustment and keep the mag in place.  On very rare occassions it is the magazine itself, however, if you experienced the same thing I did, both magazines popped out when the gun was fired.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. Called Taurus and they are sending a new mag release. Since I will have an extra mag release I think I am going to go after it with the dremel, see what I can accomplish. :eek:

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
When I first started shooting pistols I had this problem. I was just bumping the release with my thumb. I changed my grip a little and it hasn't happened again. It was fairly embarassing when it happened. It was at my ccw class in front of 10 people!!! Thankfully I made up for it with my score.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts