Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,
First, a brief recap.
I've previously posted that I sent a 24/7G2C on vacation to Miami, for a broken front left frame rail tab. After an erratic range trip, I broke it down for cleaning, and a metal tab fell out. The erratic range behavior was the slide running on only 3 rails. Taurus decided to send me a new one, instead of repair. My overall experience with Cust Service has been GREAT, but now I'm having another mechanical issue. This is a totally new kind of pistol and trigger system for me, so I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question... Now that I'm about 200 rounds into another break-in process with the looong trigger, I've noticed that randomly (I say random because I wasn't really paying attention at first) the trigger will reset from SA to DA. On several occasions, after I emptied a mag and the slide locked back, I dropped the empty mag and seated a loaded mag, and the trigger would 'pop' out to the DA position. This happened both as I seated the loaded mag, and after I released the slide to battery, but not always. Once, after seating a loaded mag, and releasing the slide to battery, as I raised the gun from the low ready position to come on target, I felt the trigger push my finger back as the trigger reset to DA from SA. I had no other malfunctions or trigger issues while at the range. The trigger pulled, and fired every time, but it seems to me a trigger should not randomly move on its own. I don't recall my other one doing this. Any others have experience with this type of issue?? Could this just be a break in issue?? Thanks, Z

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I only have around 180 rounds through my 24/7 G2 40 but I have not had this issue. Is it possible that you are hitting the decocker with your thumb or other hand? I know that it does not take much pressure to decock mine. Someone else may come along that has had this same issue though and provide you more info.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Slakev, but still no joy. After 2 more trips to the range, and about 500 rounds through, the random problem is now constant. Every time I change mags, the trigger 'pops' out to DA, unless I hold the slide back and put it into battery like a sneaky fart in church. Not just on empty mags, but with a couple Fail-to-Feeds in the middle of a mag, the slide locked back, and when I released the catch 'pop' goes the trigger to DA. I did it left handed, right handed, and just a finger tip, to make sure I wasn't hitting the decocker. Looks like another Miami vacation :(

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I am sorry to hear that. I will watch mine as I get more rounds through it during the break in. I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
FWIW, I have a full size G2, not a compact. In my experience, what you are describing is normal with my pistol. The weapon defaults to DA after reloading. The de-cock is useful for de-cocking in the middle of a magazine load such as when resetting for another string of fire without a full reload.

I read here on TA that the striker can be held in a full cock if one holds the trigger fully to the rear when releasing the slide on a new mag. I have tried this with an unloaded weapon and it works. I don't know if it is within the design characteristic of the weapon, or not, so I don't use it. For safety reasons, I prefer the first round to be DA. I also don't like the thought of releasing the slide with a pulled trigger. Just doesn't seem safe, although I know all about the sear, etc. There have been other threads on this topic.

What I have described is contrary to all the other DA/SA pistols I have owned or used, but all the others have had exposed hammers I really don't think there's anything wrong with your pistol, its just the way it's made.

If you want to remain in condition one, you may want to consider the 800 series with the exposed hammer.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hello All, On several occasions, after I emptied a mag and the slide locked back, I dropped the empty mag and seated a loaded mag, and the trigger would 'pop' out to the DA position. This happened both as I seated the loaded mag, and after I released the slide to battery, but not always. Once, after seating a loaded mag, and releasing the slide to battery, as I raised the gun from the low ready position to come on target, I felt the trigger push my finger back as the trigger reset to DA from SA. I had no other malfunctions or trigger issues while at the range. The trigger pulled, and fired every time, but it seems to me a trigger should not randomly move on its own. I don't recall my other one doing this. Any others have experience with this type of issue?? Could this just be a break in issue?? Thanks, Z
My OSS started doing something similar after about 4000 rounds. It would randomly go into DA mode and when it did the trigger pull weight would be something around 8 ounces. I would shoot the gun and expect a normal SA pull and as soon as I touched the trigger to take up the slack it would go off before the trigger had moved hardly any. Nerve wracking!!!!!

Sent it back to Taurus and the repair bill said, "adjusted slide." What they actually did was replace the whole slide minus the bbl and recoil spring assembly.
The DA trigger is OK but now the SA pull weight is off of my 6 lb scale, probably close to 9 lbs. We just got back from shooting some and I put about 100 more rounds through it and it is working fine except for the heavy SA trigger.

OSS round two, 600 rounds and counting.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
... What I have described is contrary to all the other DA/SA pistols I have owned or used, but all the others have had exposed hammers I really don't think there's anything wrong with your pistol, its just the way it's made...
There in lies the rub. I appreciate the input, but it sounds to me as if yours is malfunctioning also. Since it is 'contrary' and went from a random happening to almost always now, it's going to Miami. All the lawyers and anti-gun types would just love it if a trigger 'had a mind of it's own'. :D I'll let ya'll know how it goes with CS on Monday if they're open.

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just did a search and found this thread from November. Describes the same thing. I can't address what you felt in the trigger but the DA part is, I believe, normal. Read down into it to find the relevant posts. The first mention is at # 3. There are other threads, its just too tedious to search.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/24-7-series/58737-got-handle-g2-store-yesterday.html

Have a Happy New Year, all!

Bushy
I certainly appreciate the input and the effort searching posts, but I simply can not accept that explanation. According to the actual book that nobody reads, "Taurus PT 24/7 G2 Instruction Manual", on page 11 ref Firing Mechanism - "... It normally operates as a conventional Single Action system..." That being said, I can not accept that any mechanical device, especially a firearm, should ever change it's state of being without operator input. Also, if a mechanical device does not operate consistently, then it is defective ie it should not do things sometimes, nor randomly. If two guns of the same model operate differently, then one of them is wrong. My first one did not do this, and that would seem to be in line with the quote from page 11. While I had initially hoped that it was just a break in issue, it seems obvious to me that this now requires a trip to Miami. If CS is working Monday, I'll let ya'll know what they have to say. Obviously, I'm having a quiet New Year's Eve trolling the forum due to work, but wish you all a Blessed and Prosperous Happy New Year! Como dicen en Espanol, "Les espero salud y dinero y tiempo para gastar los dos" - "I wish you all health and wealth, and time to enjoy both." ;)

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Taurus had the day off yesterday, but spoke with CS today, and my G2 is already on its way to Miami. They agreed that it was 'irregular'. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The G2 fires in DA the first shot and every shot after that is SA. There is a workaround that involves holding the trigger as the slide is racked all the way to the back then let it forward. On the side of the pistol it says "DA/SA" instead if "SA/DA" the first set of letters tells you what the first shot will be. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The G2 fires in DA the first shot and every shot after that is SA. There is a workaround that involves holding the trigger as the slide is racked all the way to the back then let it forward. On the side of the pistol it says "DA/SA" instead if "SA/DA" the first set of letters tells you what the first shot will be. Hope that helps.
Thanks, but that was already covered. Once it is in SA, it should stay there until decocked, or the 'strike two' is used. The trigger was resetting without engaging the decocker, and before the trigger was pulled on another round. Usually during magazine changes, but also during fire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh, okay. I must have missed that. It would have to be the striker not properly setting back. Which could mean in the right situation the pistol going off unexpectedly. Good thing you turned it in.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Zylo_X. The trigger was resetting without engaging the decocker said:
Hi, Zylo. Now I see what you were saying about the reset. I understood your OP to be talking about a reload, not during a string of fire. My responses were addressing the function during the reload process. I agree that your pistol seems to have an issue. Would like to hear about your outcome when all is done.

Went to a communications seminar once and spent a full day listening to a speaker drone on about written and oral communications. I came away remembering one statement: "The most important thing about a conversation is that everyone is talking about the same thing." I think some of this was at work here. Sorry if I came across wrong.

Bushy

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
... "The most important thing about a conversation is that everyone is talking about the same thing." I think some of this was at work here. Sorry if I came across wrong.

Bushy
Great quote. It's all good Bushy :) I didn't take it any way, just catching up the scenario. Thanks for the input. I have a hard time because of ADD - Always Drinkin' Doubles. :D As the 'strike two' feature is new to me, I wasn't sure if it made a difference, or worked different than 'normal' DA/SA. I knew about the 'finger trick' to get into SA, but since that wasn't in the book, thought there might be something else missing too. I really want to like this gun, so hopefully third time will be the charm. So far, status on Taurus.com says its 'arrived', but no other info yet.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, okay. I must have missed that. It would have to be the striker not properly setting back. Which could mean in the right situation the pistol going off unexpectedly. Good thing you turned it in.
Thanks for the input. This 'strike two' thingy was new to me, so I thought I might be missing something, but it just didn't seem 'right'.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all for the input so far, but alas it has been for naught... :( The good news was a 9 day turn around for Taurus, however, I don't care how fast they send me broken guns. :mad: I'll be back on the phone to Miami, and try this one more time. I guess I should ask to speak with a supervisor, or a 'smith. To keep the trigger in SA during a mag change, I have to slide the mag in so gently, that I'm not sure if it will stay in when I raise the gun. If the trigger stays in SA upon insertion of the new mag, I have to seat the slide to battery so gently, as I referred to it earlier, 'like a sneaky fart in church', to keep the trigger from going to DA. This is with 3 mags (2 10's and 1 12 rounder), and 4 different types of ammo. I hope I'm not expecting too much. I think it should function the same as the PT92 & 917 that I have with DA/SA triggers, and shouldn't need to be treated like its made of glass. I always butt-slap the mag with the heel of my palm, and never had an issue before this. Considering that if I do it gently enough it stays in SA, that tells me something is wrong, because it should do it all the time or none, not some. Overall, there have not been any issues with feed or extraction, and everything else seems 'normal'. I really want to like this gun, but it has to shot more than 1 mag in a row. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

P.S.
Note to Mods - You may want to move this to the 'Complaints' Forum, with my other one. Hopefully I won't have to start ALL my threads there? :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Zylo: Sorry to hear about the third strike. I can tell you that despite my feed and extraction issues, my gun DOES stay in SA all day long, through multiple clips, unless I hit the decocker. So hey, maybe between the two of us we can cobble together a properly working gun. Good thing we live close eh??? Bwahaha. I sure hope Taurus takes care of you on this.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Zylo: Sorry to hear about the third strike. I can tell you that despite my feed and extraction issues, my gun DOES stay in SA all day long, through multiple clips, unless I hit the decocker. So hey, maybe between the two of us we can cobble together a properly working gun. Good thing we live close eh??? Bwahaha. I sure hope Taurus takes care of you on this.
AAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: You may be quite prophetic...
Just got off the phone with Susan at CS.... Susan was nice and professional, and we (at least I did) enjoyed a 'chat'. Per Susan in their product notes it says that that model (24/7G2) is SUPPOSED to go to DA at mag change. I told her to expect a rush of returns then because mine seemed to be the only working 'correctly'. :D She asked why I thought it shouldn't do that, so I explained that a) A mechanical device should not do 'something', on its own. b) Whatever it does, it should do always or never, not sometimes. c) The trigger pull should not change in the middle of shooting. d) It should be the same as ALL THE OTHER DA/SA triggers, to my knowledge, IN THE WORLD, including my PT92 & 917. e) In honor of OlFarHors, I said, "If DA was such a good idea, why didn't they put it in a 1911.", among other reasons. We chatted for about 15 minutes and aside from not feeling satisfied at the result, it was a good call. I'm gonna calm down for a couple days, then try again. I just can not believe this!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Zylo: my chat with CS was not particularly productive either, but I am VERY sorry to hear that they do not even understand your issue. Take a deep breath, and then perhaps you could politely ask for someone at a supervisor level. Considering that this is your THIRD return, we can only hope that THEY would understand the issue. If you want to try to get together sometime to actually SEE how mine works (at least in that regard LOL), let me know.
Tom

1 - 20 of 93 Posts