Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone this is my first post so bear with me. I own a 24/ 7 g2 .45 and after about 300 rounds I started getting light strikes no matter if it was SA or DA or the type of ammo I used. I sent my gun away to Taurus and the supposedly "fix" the problem but once at the range I got repeated light strikes again. I decided to fix the problem myself at this point....

Once at home I suspected the firing pin block could be the culprit. I removed the firing pin and while pushing up on the firing pin block I could see a small piece of steel hanging down no matter how high i pushed it. I removed the firing pin block and found uneven wear where I could tell the firing pin was catching. I filed the extra steel even with the wear on the firing pin block and then polished the surface.

Range report:
200 rounds threw with flawless function. Not one light strike! Glad my favorite gun is back in action. I hope this helps those of you with the same problem

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I have gone well past 1,000 through my 24/7 G2 9 mm without a single hitch - well except for two ftf that showed the good thinking behind the strike two trigger that then fired those two rounds on the second try.

But, I will keep this tidbit of info on file in the back of my mind in case this situation ever arises.

Welcome to the greatest site on the net. Your particular post and the info you offer is why this site is so great!

Welcome from eastern North Carolina!
you_gawt_a_perty_mouth.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i thought it was very important to get this info to fellow taurus owners. The gunsmith at taurus replaced the action bar but that did nothing. I'm just happy i can contribute cause I learned a lot from this sight!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Very good to know and keep in the tool box. I have >2000 through my 24/7 G2 9mm. Have had two no fire. Both were Tula ammo and were bad rounds as they would not fire in my PT709 either.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Nice job figuring out the problem and fixing it.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Glad you got it fixed, but sorry Taurus couldn't figure out the problem. Maybe a follow up email to Taurus is in order so that they can understand the remedy and make the repair dept. more effective.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Once at home I suspected the firing pin block could be the culprit. I removed the firing pin and while pushing up on the firing pin block I could see a small piece of steel hanging down no matter how high i pushed it. I removed the firing pin block and found uneven wear where I could tell the firing pin was catching. I filed the extra steel even with the wear on the firing pin block and then polished the surface.
Great troubleshooting. I haven't had to get this far into my G2 yet. Were you able to confirm that the firing pin block was still effective with the missing material (from the wear plus the smoothing) after you finished the repair? I had an OSS with repeated light strikes that Taurus never could fix and finally replaced - maybe this was the problem there;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't emailed taurus only for the fact that I don't want to void my warranty. .. they are quite picky on what will void it.

As for the firing pin block being still effective I actually was testing it out today with the slide separate from the frame. It still engages perfectly. I first tried to push the firing pin forward with out the firing pin block engaged and the pin would not move. I then slowly depressed the firing pin block and the firing pin only went forward when the firing pin block was fully depressed. I was worried of that safety future being inoperable but it appears to be fine. The steel I removed from the firing pin block was an obvious overhanging piece and i brought it even. I wish I took pics but forethought is 20/20 haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fantastic, now I know what to look for with mine. I noticed light primer strike marks, but since it was my first time out with it, I figured it might be normal, now I now better, thank you ! Time to play with my gun . :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah definitely let me know if you notice the same thing please! Like I said though never tell taurus you broke it down beyond a field strip or they will void your warranty :-/

·
Registered
354 Posts
Doesn't speak well of Taurus customer service when the customer can figure problems out better than the 'experts'.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah i was disappointed that I spent 50$ shipping when it took about 30 min of work to fix... not the worst thing at least i can try to save you guys some $

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a certain amount of self satisfaction in having a "diy" project go well for us. Glad you got the problem resolved!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a brand new 24/7 gen 2 compact and took it to the range today and had at least ten light primer strikes out of about 150 rounds of Perfecta brass ammo. Some of them took up to five trigger pulls before they actually fired. I have a 24/7 pro ds gen 1 that has had about 1500 rounds since its last malfunction and I thought the new gen would work just as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts