Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched in everyway possible before I decided to post this. If there's a topic on here talking about it feel free to "school me" and post a link to direct me to the proper topic.

What are you guys using to completely dissolve that nasty brown grease? Simple green, Citra-safe, Iso. alcohol, MEK/MPK or auto parts cleaner? I wanna do a overnight soak (if need be) to get all that gunk out. especially if theres something that safe for the polymer reciever (as i'm not comfortable yet to disassemble this gun yet)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Simple green and hot water is certainly safe, but I wouldn't soak any metal parts overnight. Stay away from MEK/MPK - it WILL melt the polymer. Any of the gun cleaners that say polymer safe on them(there's a bunch)

My usual new Taurus ritual is a good scrubbing with Simple Green and hot water, rinse, blow out with a compressor. Then a good soaking in WD-40 to make sure all moisture is out, blow out again with compressor. Rem Oil next, and a good wipedown and blow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol i know that with the mek/mpk with the polymer more or less i was going to use it to clean the metal part only but i probably wouldnt any ways just cause im not sure what the specifics on parts.

I was looking online to see whats a good gun cleaner but in all reality all those brands IMO are renamed/label usually cleaner we use everyday and why pay 30-40 for the same goal of dissolving degrease. So thats why i come to ask you guys on what your using.

as far as oil and lubricants was my main certain. certain the guns are gonna be exposed to high temps and carbon and other debris i was wondering what lubricants hold up?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
If you are specifically looking to use less expensive, non gun specific lubes, any synthetic engine oil or ATF, and high temp wheel bearing grease. I know these have been used for decades by many thousands if not millions of gun owners and I'm sure they do just fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gun cleaner,toothbrush,time,patience,attention to detail,Remoil wipes,3 in1 oil (made by WD-40).

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
synthetic safe gunscrubber, Hoppes #9, Break free, Rem dri -lube for the striker/firing pin channel after a thorough flushing.

·
Registered
548 Posts
After getting all the factory gunk out does the firing pin need new grease or just well oiled?

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
"...I wanna do a overnight soak (if need be) to get all that gunk out. especially if theres something that safe for the polymer reciever (as i'm not comfortable yet to disassemble this gun yet)"

I hope you mean "not comfortable detail stripping this gun yet" and not field stripping for cleaning. Dunking a whole gun overnight and hoping that it will be clean is not going to work. If field stripped, a toothbrush and a can of WD-40 will work well enough for getting out the "nasty brown grease". Just follow up with lubricant, like synthetic engine oil, synthetic high temp bearing grease, or synthetic ATF, if you don't want the expense of gun oils and greases. Since you are an aviation technician, you probably have some aviation synthetic oils and greases you can use to good effect. Back when I was a helicopter crew chief, I even used JP-4 (since it is a high grade kerosene) for solvent. Yes, it was a long time ago since everyone is using JP-8 now.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
After getting all the factory gunk out does the firing pin need new grease or just well oiled?
Different strokes fo different folks but i use a dry lubricant so as to not trap/ attract spent gunpowder, dirt and grime.
I use Rem Dri-Lube which is a dry teflon under pressure.
here it can be found right beside the Rem-oil at the gun shop, graphite also works well as long as you don't over do it.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I mix up my own Ed's Red - 1 part ATF, 1 part Acetone, 1 part spirit thinner, and 1 part kerosene. I scrub it out good and hose it off with acetone to degrease. And that polymer is some pretty tough stuff. It's glass filled nylon and will stand up to more than lot's of folks think. I have to agree with not using MEK on it, though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My $.02, Stick with "gun" stuff Hoppe's; CLP; Break Free------ect. And all of my Taurus guns tend to not like lots of lube, but at the range I bring some Rem-Oil spray and give them a squirt every 100 or-so rounds.

Dave

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
My $.02, Stick with "gun" stuff Hoppe's; CLP; Break Free------ect. And all of my Taurus guns tend to not like lots of lube, but at the range I bring some Rem-Oil spray and give them a squirt every 100 or-so rounds.

Dave
Hoppe's no 9 doesn't use any magic chemicals - in fact it's mostly kerosene. I used to use it religiously - 'till I read the MSDS and found out I was paying a couple bucks for a couple cents worth of kerosene. Haven't used it since, and I haven't missed it either. Ed's Red is 'gun stuff' and it's been used for many years in the firearms community - you just mix it yourself and save some bucks. I don't recommend leaving any kerosene products on polymer for extended periods of time, and certainly no soaking in it. I just scrub the lower out good with Ed's Red and then hose it out with acetone to degrease, and blow it out good with my air compressor to evaporate the acetone. Never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I soak new guns in Rubbing alcohol for about 30 minutes then either let it air dry or blow it out with compressed air. I follow this with normal cleaning and lubing methods. I use Hoppes #9 for barrels, Gun Scrubber for the rest. I follow this up with CLP spray for springs and frame. I use tetra grease of any part that metal slides on metal. I also use a good gun grease such as Hoppes or others on outside of barrels. Magazines I clean using a dry moly spray but only after a few hundred rounds or so.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I just use Remoil, a bottle brush set and patience to clean my guns personally. I use synethetic wheel bearing grease on the slide rails applied with a Q-tip and make sure to remove any and all excess oils before reassembly. It's what works for me, everyone has their own method.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
Hoppe's no 9 doesn't use any magic chemicals - in fact it's mostly kerosene. I used to use it religiously - 'till I read the MSDS and found out I was paying a couple bucks for a couple cents worth of kerosene.
:eek:--WOW-----!!!
Now thats a flash from the past for me!!
I haven't heard the old "Manufactures Safety Data Sheet" since i left the Fire Department!!---

Next thing I know youse guys are going to be discussing exothermic chemical reactions!

:blink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts