Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya,

Is it possible to remove the ambidextrous magazine catch/release from the 24/7 G2 and replace it with a flat piece of plastic on one side? I am really considering buying a 24/7 G2 in 9mm, but I do NOT like the ambidextrous mag catch.

I mean, it's not a make or break kind of deal, I can get used to it, just I would prefer if there was a way to remove it from the right side of the gun.

I'm undecided really between a few different pistols, and so far the Taurus (for the price) is the best deal for what it comes with and what I want in a pistol.... except ambidextrous controls :p LOVE the DA/SA trigger capability.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Having the 24/7 G2 ambidextrous is one of the reasons I bought one. From a tactical stand point it makes sense to have the mag release on both sides. I'm a southpaw so this will be a great thing for me. However, being issued the M9 as my sidearm for the military, I got use to releasing the mag with my middle finger and releasing the slide lock with my trigger finger. That's going to be a hard habit to break.

I'm unsure if you can change the mag release just to one side on these guns. I would look around the internet and talk to a gun smith to see what he/she says about it. Better yet, call Taurus to see if it is possible first before wasting time, money and energy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks!

Yeah I'll see if I can give them a call... I see the purpose of an ambi mag release, just I don't like how high profile it is. I don't like to have to switch my grip up to drop a mag, and because the right side pushes into my hand when I press the mag release on the left side with my thumb, it prevents the mag from being released. I gotta adjust my grip or start pressing it with my middle finger on my right hand.

I haven't made a purchase yet, so maybe I'll finger the gun a few more times to get used to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive carried a g2 with me everyday since i picked it up (about 3 months now). I absolutely love it. The mag release hasn't caused me any issue, but the downside of it is that you have to very deliberately press it.

I'm right handed and the release on the right side of the frame sits just past the web between the index and middle finger. Since i have to shift my grip slightly for my thumb to hit the release on the left side, my hand would never block it unless my index or middle finger was positioned awkwardly.
I haven't done any detailed stripping yet but it looks as if both buttons are one piece which press on the lever that locks the mag in place. If you really really wanted to, maybe you could order a spare button from taurus (do they sell individual parts?) and file the right side down so that it fits flush with the frame. Keep in mind you might void your warranty or something doing so.

Give it another feel and see how it sits in your hand. It comes with 2 other backstraps so you can adjust it to fit you better. Mine came out of the box with the medium on, so when you take another look at it see what size is on. Look on the back of the frame at the bottom just below the stipplings on the grip. "S", "M", or "L"

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can tear down anything the US Military has along with all my personal weapons. However, since the 24/7 G2 is a DA/SA, I have yet to take it a part. I am a little scared to break it down that far. That DA/SA system is new to me so I'm not sure if I want to tangle with it just yet.

To answer your question...its my belief that it is a bit hard to break it down that far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't tried breaking it down completely for lack of an instructional video. field stripping is a breeze.

I've only gone so far as to remove the firing pin to clean the factory grease out of it, after hitting a single round 5 times. It was cheap ammo, but i havent had such an issue since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts