Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well I became part of the Taurus community about a month ago. Buds had a great buy on the .40 24/7 g2 for $271 to my door, well my ffl dealer that is.

After getting it home I took it apart and cleaned all the shipping gunk out of it and then put a little lube in it. After I had lurked on here for awhile and found that dry firing and snap caps could help the gritty trigger I started doing that.

I put a couple hundred rounds threw 2 weeks ago and it did well. I gave it a mix of ammo and it didn't seem to care, I shot as well as I could shoot it this 7lb trigger pull is a whole lot different than the 3lb I'm use to.

Ok so that's the good part now for the bad IMHO.

Why has the aftermarket community not provided items for this gun?

Why are parts available?

Why can't I find spare mags?

Does anyone know where they available?

I don't like having the exact same thing as everyone else, I like to find the good deal that gets overlooked by many but lack parts and accessories gets me quick. I really like the way the 740 feels but cant find mags for that either so know I'm thinking about the mp shield because of this.

Hopefully you guys and gals know some things I don't.

Thanks,

zimm

·
Registered
36,318 Posts
Opinions--opinions--opinions!
the reason no after market manufactures will produce parts Is that Taurus keep changing weapon design and models, as well as quickly discontinuing models
there is no future use for parts that are designed for a current taurus weapon, so no real money to be made.
the reason that parts are so difficult to locate Is Taurus has a no one works on our guns except use policy.
you, a gunsmith, a distributor, basically no one really has access to taurus parts.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Welcome to the forum zimm!

I don't own a 24/7 but I'm sure that considering the popularity of the model - that folks will be along to chat soon enough!

Much of what you list are items that I check out before making a purchase. Some of them have been deal breakers for me in the past.

That said - you have the gun and at a great price.

The trigger was described clearly in reviews that I've read - this from Guns and Ammo: "The trigger pull averaged nine pounds, 61/2 ounces in the DA mode, and seven pounds, 151/2 ounces in the SA mode. These pull weights are completely reasonable, but there was considerable stacking and a gritty drag right at the end of the pull. This was a minor irritant during group testing from the bench, but of course would be of little consequence in a self-defense situation."

Taurus HAS a parts policy - that may change but it IS the corporate position for now as is the lifetime warranty.

I see mags available - a quick search turned up these sources with 40 S&W mags in stock:

Taurus® 15-Round PT-24/7 .40S&W Magazine - Natchez Shooters Supplies

Taurus 52474015 15 Round Blue Magazine For 24 / 7 40S&W For Sale

Taurus 24/7 40SW 15Rd Factory Gun Magazine

Take it from there - other guns in the Taurus line have serious mag shortages - the 24/7 has not been one to my knowledge.

This is an easy going site with lots of helpful members. Get to know some folks and enjoy your time here! ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,746 Posts
See olfahors and the mighty ming's comments above. I have 2 MilPros and found a PT145 mag hanging on the wall at my LGS one day. Wasn't looking for one but there it was so I snatched it up.

Make sure and specify G2 when looking for parts as the original 24/7 mags may not fit the G2s. Even though magazines are sparse with Taurus, the smaller internals require a trip to Miami to remain under warranty which, BTW, is lifetime. I was able to get them to send me a new mag release button a few years back which I put in (and had to file down quite a bit to fit it) myself.

Good luck and welcome to the fold!

·
Registered
29 Posts
It took me over a month to find a spare mag for my PT740. I have two BOLO requests at the local gun dealers in Charlotte.

ddc

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
It took me over a month to find a spare mag for my PT740. I have two BOLO requests at the local gun dealers in Charlotte.

ddc
...a totally different gun and mag BTW. Mags for th OPs gun are readily available - in stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually all of those mags you lasted are for gen 1. I am looking for gen 2 mags. I appreciate the help though. I called Taurus cs last night and ordered 2. well back ordered 2. While the price is good at $36 each I was told "we are expecting a shipment of mags at the end of this month but possibly as late as the end of next month". The cs guy states they know that there it's a shortage of mags and are trying to resolve the issue. Same old cs bs.

Reading through the posts I'm not unsatisfied with the gun it's self, I actually like it a lot. I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I knew quite a bit about the gun prior to buying. What I didn't look up was acc's and mags. That is the part that sours me. I didn't check that out before hand just because I didn't think it would be an issue for a gun still in production and has been for almost 3 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts