Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just got a Taurus 24/7 pro and shot it in the range. 200 rounds for break-in and it shoots perfectly.

Now the problem I have is when I disassembled it for cleaning. Removing the disassembly latch I noticed that there is a small wire/pin that blocks the O where the latch should be put in for re-assembly. When re-assembling the gun you have to push the wire/pin down a little in order to put in the latch.

Is this normal with the 24/7 because if it is I have serious worries on the integrity of this wire/pin. It looks quite flimsy and I am guessing that with repeated disassembly and re-assembly it could easily break.

Does anyone here have the same worries that I have about this?

·
Administrator
18,821 Posts
Nope!

It does sort of remind one of a Paper Clip, but it's not one of those!

It's actually a retention spring for the takedown/barrel unlock pin and is made of high strength Spring Steel. You will not easily break it unless you go out of your way to do so!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I agree...I would also suggest you use a twisting motion to reinsert the pin. There is a smaller tab on the tip that can push the wire out of the way to make room for the rest of it.

Congrats on the purchase! I love my 24/7 pro. :)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Vismin said:
I agree...I would also suggest you use a twisting motion to reinsert the pin. There is a smaller tab on the tip that can push the wire out of the way to make room for the rest of it.

Congrats on the purchase! I love my 24/7 pro. :)
That's the way I reinsert my takedown pin. Rotate it to a 9 o'clock position, insert it, then rotate to 6 o'clock. This will force that spring out of the way and allow you to insert the pin without much trouble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. It calms my reservations somewhat.

Just shot another 200 rounds at the range. Flawless once again. Being a 1911 guy I never thought I'd enjoy shooting a polymer gun so much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same problem on a 24/7 OSS that I bought a month ago. I also have a 24/7 Pro C in 9mm. The Pro has no problems and works flawlessly.

The catch release spring pops out of the OSS. I compared them and there is a gap between the plastic grip frame and the metal assembly on the OSS. The Pro has no gap and fits tight and proper.

I sent the OSS back for service. Basically they need to put a new grip frame on it that fits right. I'll see what they actually do. I have an engineering background and work in the quality assurance and manufacturing engineering area of a manufacturing company. This appears to be a quality control issue of the inside dimensions of the grip frame. They need to get that under control with the proper Quality methods and the problem will go away.

I also noticed that the metal controls like the slide release, safety and the mag release appear to be poweder coated on the OSS. They are black oxided on the PRO. The coating on the OSS makes them larger, and the mag release button sticks. I was going to disassemble it to sand the coating off the button, but decided to see what they do about it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you look at the pin itself, you'll see a FLAT spot at the tip, a half circle of steel.
Take the pin, when re inserting it, insert it FLAT SIDE DOWN.
You will feel when it hits the spring, when it does, TWIST the pin counter clockwise about 1/4 turn and push it in.
The pin will ALMOST SEAT at this point, Twist it into the locked position an push it the last 1/8 of an inch and you should hear a CLICK, Viola, Pin is in and locked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.