Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of any LE agencies approving or adopting the 24/7 for duty use?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Many smaller agencies will let you carry whatever you can qualify with. (some even will let officers carry revolvers)

With most larger agencies, an officer has little or no choice as far as choosing a duty and back-up gun.

That being said, I know of no large police agency having the 24/7 on an approved on-duty carry list.

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
The Phillipine National Police have recently adopted a Taurus 24/7 of some configuration in 9mm. Testing trials were conducted with several makes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
jwc007 said:
The Phillipine National Police have recently adopted a Taurus 24/7 of some configuration in 9mm. Testing trials were conducted with several makes.
If you mean by adopted that it is qualified to be bought by PO's and used on duty then maybe. If however you mean that it is going to become standard/official issue then I think not.

I was looking at buying a 24/7 so I checked out this forum. Imagine my surprise when I read this. My curiosity got the better of me so I checked with various sources.

I checked with my brother who is a PNP Superintendent and he hasn't heard of this. I called up my college buddy who is PNP CIDG head of Metro Manila and he hasn't heard of it either. Even the local PO's assigned to us at the airport haven't heard anything.

Still wanting to verify my facts I called the local Taurus distributor ( TrustTrade ) and they haven't heard of the 24/7 being chosen by the PNP either as official issue.

To sum it up the official issue of the PNP is still the Beretta 92.

As to the 24/7 being adopted/qualified for use by PNP personnel I will make more inquiries into the matter. I am not sure but AFAIK I do not think there is a hard and fast rule as to what particular FA may be used as I see many PNP personnel using non-issue and personal weapons as carry.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
That being said, I know of no large police agency having the 24/7 on an approved on-duty carry list.
Why is that, NYPD? Is it because of so much competition, or because the 24/7 is sub-par to other competitors in some way, or simply politics?

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
Would've replied sooner, but server issues have made things difficult.

I have been unable to verify my previous statement as to the PNP adoption of a version of the 24/7. I know I read it somewhere here, but have been unable to confirm from other firearms news sources, so I cannot accept itas fact, myself, as yet. Sorry!

I will still search, as my time permits.

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
Found it! ;D I knew I wasn't having a "Senior Moment"! LOL!

Here is the reference for the Phillipine Police adoption of the 24/7.
http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell-Taurus247.htm

Recently, Philippine police placed an order for 5,000 Taurus pistols to replace their aging Beretta 92 pistols after a rigorous testing. RK Campbell - Gunblast
Now celebrating my 888th post!

·
Registered
509 Posts
NYPD said:
I cannot answer that question :-\
Okay I will then.

Fellas, THE GUYS THAT PIMP THE GUNS MAKE SURE THAT THE GUYS THAT BUY AND APPROVE THE GUNS DO NOT HAVE A NEED FOR TP EVER.

Taurus is just not that aggressive nor should they be IMHO.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
45 Forever said:
I don't care if LEO carry them. I mean what difference does it make do you know how many gun designs are out there and only a few are purchased by whole departments.
I posted the question to gather some facts about the 24/7.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,799 Posts
I don't care if LEO carry them. I mean what difference does it make do you know how many gun designs are out there and only a few are purchased by whole departments.

The military carry Beretta 92's so should all of us carry them to. personally Taurus makes a better gun in there PT92.

As another post said they do this mass buy so all are trained in the same weapon and all have common mags and controls.

We as citizens have it good we can pick what fits us and works well for us as individuals. I'd say that's a plus.

Besides I'm not a Glock fan anyway and I'd hate to be told to carry a weapon that I don't like or shoot as well as others that would suck. IMO

·
Super Moderator
21,799 Posts
And my point is Justus what does LEO buying in bulk have to do with a great selling gun that fits different categories, of personnel protection. I mean if that's your criteria then find a large city find out what they carry and buy it end of problem.

I'm currently looking for a 24/7 in compact for myself and I've been around guns enough to know that if its getting good reviews (Handgun of the year) and it fits for me and my budget and shows good accuracy then I buy it. :) Nothing was meant to be mean.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK 45,
I'm not having a "problem" nor do I consider it to be a defining criteria.
I agree with your assessment of the 24/7.

I'm simply trying to assemble some facts for my own use
and was asking if anyone knew if the 24/7 had been put
on any agency's approved list.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have no idea, but if I was a LEO and could use mine, I wold do so without thinking twice.

·
Super Moderator
21,799 Posts
Sorry about that Justus read the wrong thing into your post. If I can hep find any info I will have a good day. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You have a good day too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
jwc007 said:
Found it! ;D I knew I wasn't having a "Senior Moment"! LOL!

Here is the reference for the Phillipine Police adoption of the 24/7.
http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell-Taurus247.htm

Now celebrating my 888th post!
Hi jwc007,

I read that article but I am afraid the writer is misinformed. I was able to talk to the local distributor and they told me that all orders by the PNP of Taurus pistols have been of the PT92.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
45 Forever said:
I don't know, I see the value in knowing if any agenciy has picked up a particualr model. They have the resources to test hundreds of different handgun makes and models and run hundreds of thousands of rounds through them, something most of us can't do. While I would never suggest anyone base thier entire opinion on "Agency x carries make Y" reports, it should still be valuable information (even knowing that theres HUGE politics involved in any large agencies selection).

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
markrba said:
I read that article but I am afraid the writer is misinformed. I was able to talk to the local distributor and they told me that all orders by the PNP of Taurus pistols have been of the PT92.
Thanks for looking into it for us, Markba. It's hard to know what's going on all over the world.
I could see them using a PT92.

Irregardless, the .40 24/7 Pro has passed independant NIJ (National Institute of Justice, USA) testing, and can be rightly considered for Police use. This has been reported in another relavent thread. http://www.nlectc.org/testing/pistolscpl.html

The PT92 was also tested and passed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts